snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Top 3 Republican Presidential Frontrunners Are All Adulterers? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 3 Republican Presidential Frontrunners Are All Adulterers?
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Bob Dornan (admittedly not the most reliable source)

quote:
“I can’t stand the thought of my party having as its three front-runners three open adulterers, Newt Gingrich, Giuliani, and McCain,” Dornan said.

“I’ve got one mission left in me, to come up to New Hampshire and tell the truth, and tell the Republicans you better find yourself a fresh face and not Rudy Giuliani who took his mistress around with him and then divorces Donna who learns she was divorced sitting at home watching TV with her children.

B1 Bob

Actually B-1 Bob is correct for once according to the Washington Times

High Infidelity

--------------------
"The women who embraced in the wagon were Adam and Eve crossing a dark cathedral stage—no, Eve and Eve, loving one another as they would not be able to once they ate of the fruit and knew themselves as they truly were." - Lynn Cheney, Sisters.

Posts: 289 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plaidzebra
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plaidzebra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it's essentially true for Gingrich and Giuliani, who started relationships with other women before divorcing their wives. Infamously, Gingrich supposedly delivered divorce papers to his wife as she was hospitalized for cancer treatement. I've never heard this connected to John McCain. I can't cite any references, though.
Posts: 16 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted:
I can't stand the thought of my party having as its three front-runners three open adulterers

As opposed to being closeted adultereres, which we all know Republicans favor.

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by plaidzebra:
I believe it's essentially true for Gingrich and Giuliani, who started relationships with other women before divorcing their wives. Infamously, Gingrich supposedly delivered divorce papers to his wife as she was hospitalized for cancer treatement. I've never heard this connected to John McCain. I can't cite any references, though.

Did you read the article in the Washington Monthly, linked to in the OP? It's mentioned there.
quote:
McCain was still married and living with his wife in 1979 while, according to The New York Times' Nicholas Kristof, "aggressively courting a 25-year-old woman who was as beautiful as she was rich." McCain divorced his wife, who had raised their three children while he was imprisoned in Vietnam, then launched his political career with his new wife's family money. In 2000, McCain managed to deflect media questioning about his first marriage with a deft admission of responsibility for its failure. It's possible that the age of the offense and McCain's charmed relationship with the press will pull him through again, but Giuliani and Gingrich may face a more difficult challenge. Both conducted well-documented affairs in the last decade--while still in public office.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you expect from politicians? They screw everyone they meet. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I relally wish we would get out of our politician's bedrooms, and spend more energy investigating their stance on the issues.

I don;t know about you guys, but unless my elected official start legislating what I do in my bedroom, I really don't care how many people s/he has NFBSK'ed, how s/he has NFBSK'ed and when s/he has NFBSK'ed.

Challenging a politician who takes a moral high ground is one thing and entirely acceptable. Dragging skeletons out of each politicians closet is going too far.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, you do know that until 2003, Virginia has a law criminalizing sodomy (both gay and straight) and making it punishable by five years in jail?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flowy Chloe:
Um, you do know that until 2003, Virginia has a law criminalizing sodomy (both gay and straight) and making it punishable by five years in jail?

How does a politician's sex life relate to your point?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You said "unless my elected official start legislating what I do in my bedroom, I really don't care how many people s/he has NFBSK'ed, how s/he has NFBSK'ed and when s/he has NFBSK'ed." That sounded to me as if you didn't think it had already happened.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More on McCain
http://www.dailyhowler.com/h030900_1.shtml

It's old news. He admitted to having affairs after his return from Hanoi.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand it's between a politician and their spouse if they have an affair. On the other it makes me trust them less.
If they can't stay faithful to their spouse then get a divorce. If they're worried about damaging their political reputation by doing that then they shoudln't have an affair to begin with.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

No, I'm referring to the OP. Do you know if Guiliani and/or McCain supported that law?

--------------------
Nico Sasha

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander,

You too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
No, I'm referring to the OP. Do you know if Guiliani and/or McCain supported that law?

I wasn't referring to the OP, OTOH. I was correcting your apparent misconception that politicians had not been legislating activities in your bedroom.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 19 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's kind of like saying WorldNetDaily is correct, according to NewsMax.com.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
quote:

I wasn't referring to the OP, OTOH. I was correcting your apparent misconception that politicians had not been legislating activities in your bedroom.
No, I don't have any such misconception , you are missing the point.

I said "Unless my politician starts legistlating what I do in my bedroom, I really don't care about his sex life"

I'm referring to specific politicians as individuals, not politicians as a whole. If I would have said "Unless politicians start legislating what I do in my bedroom, I really don't care about their sex lives", then you point will have been entirely valid, but I didn't, so there.

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
That's kind of like saying WorldNetDaily is correct, according to NewsMax.com.

- snopes

The link in the OP takes one to "Washington Monthly." I believe its usual position is moderately left of center.

At any rate, though I can't vouch for every word in the article, it does appear that the author correctly reported what is already public information about the affairs of the three men mentioned.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, USUALLY it is one's opponent party that brings to light a persons shortcomings. Thus, the fact that both Dornan (in the Union Tribune) and the right leaning Washington Times repeat it lends credence to the validity, IMHO.

If it was only the "liberal main stream media" reporting it, the righties would be screaming about unfair slanted media attacks.

--------------------
"The women who embraced in the wagon were Adam and Eve crossing a dark cathedral stage—no, Eve and Eve, loving one another as they would not be able to once they ate of the fruit and knew themselves as they truly were." - Lynn Cheney, Sisters.

Posts: 289 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I said it with Clinton and I will say it with Gingrich (whom I despise): what goes on in the course of their marriage, provided it is legal, is their business. It becomes an issue for me only when stones begin to fly. Though I have no idea how these three men voted individually, the Republican party in general has ran elections - and won elections - by espousing to be the "party of morality" and villifying Dems for lack of "family values". And when you do that, I think you had better make sure your own personal life is the freakin' Cleavers or shut the heck up!

And my memory may be bad, but I don't remember Gingrich rushing to the aid of Clinton when he was being crucified for his marital indiscretions.

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

quote:
quote:
quote:

No, I don't have any such misconception , you are missing the point.

I said "Unless my politician starts legistlating what I do in my bedroom, I really don't care about his sex life"

I'm referring to specific politicians as individuals, not politicians as a whole. If I would have said "Unless politicians start legislating what I do in my bedroom, I really don't care about their sex lives", then you point will have been entirely valid, but I didn't, so there.

I beg your pardon; I was unaware that you were being represented by Guiliani, Gingrich, or McCain.

--------------------

MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erinker74:
I said it with Clinton and I will say it with Gingrich (whom I despise): what goes on in the course of their marriage, provided it is legal, is their business.

Actually, adultery is illegal depending on the jurisdiction. It's often unenforced, but it is illegal in a number of places.

ETA:
This article: http://www.slate.com/id/1063/ says that 26 states have anti-Adultery laws but that they're basically not enforced.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's anything that I'd refute about this, it's just that Newt Gingrich can hardly be considered a frontrunner for the nomination.

Despite Condoleeza Rice's insistence that she isn't running, she's polling far ahead of Gingrich. She, Guiliani, and McCain are all in the 20s. Also, Mitt Romney is essentially tied with Gingrich at a little over five percent, so you would have to argue Romney as a frontrunner if you're going to say Gingrich is one also.

Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In general, I don't think politician's private lives should be central to political campaigns. However, given the way conservatives have been campaigning, they totally deserve to have it blown up in their faces. Not for the private sex, but for the very public hypocrisy.

And not just with regard to Clinton. So many Republicans run their campaigns based on "family values", "sanctity of marriage", and their religion. They're not campaigning on logic, but on emotions that are tied up with exactly the sort of personal life issues that these scandals undermine. Those few conservatives who still campaign based on policy of course should be exempt from this sort of invasion of privacy.

These scandals aren't just a result of "liberal media" bias, they reflect real trends. Republicans, who champion the sanctity of marriage, have higher divorce rates. They try to paint Democrats as amoral degenerates, but Republican politicians are at least as immoral. If you get out of the bedroom and consider corruption, then its no contest.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

quote:
And my memory may be bad, but I don't remember Gingrich rushing to the aid of Clinton when he was being crucified for his marital indiscretions.

You got that right. In fact, he was one of the most vocal people leading the "impeach Clinton because he was naughty" campaign, all the while having an extramarital affair. My irony meter output went off the chart.

--------------------

ShadowX81
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadowX81   E-mail ShadowX81   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I can never trust a man who can't keep the promise that should be most sacred to him.
Posts: 1 | From: New Haven, Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
In general, I don't think politician's private lives should be central to political campaigns. However, given the way conservatives have been campaigning, they totally deserve to have it blown up in their faces. Not for the private sex, but for the very public hypocrisy.

And not just with regard to Clinton. So many Republicans run their campaigns based on "family values", "sanctity of marriage", and their religion. They're not campaigning on logic, but on emotions that are tied up with exactly the sort of personal life issues that these scandals undermine. Those few conservatives who still campaign based on policy of course should be exempt from this sort of invasion of privacy.

These scandals aren't just a result of "liberal media" bias, they reflect real trends. Republicans, who champion the sanctity of marriage, have higher divorce rates. They try to paint Democrats as amoral degenerates, but Republican politicians are at least as immoral. If you get out of the bedroom and consider corruption, then its no contest.

That's what I would have said but you beat me to it.

When someone starts campaiging based on how awful the other party was because they did this or that sexual thing, by golly, that DOES mean that they have automatically forfeited ANY slack for themselves in that department. They've specifically held themselves up as the more moral party - that means their feet need to damn well be held to the fire when they aren't.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
quote:

You got that right. In fact, he was one of the most vocal people leading the "impeach Clinton because he was naughty" campaign, all the while having an extramarital affair. My irony meter output went off the chart.
And that wasn't even the worst of it with Gingrich. When the Susan Smith case was in the news in 1994, he suggested that it was liberals' fault a woman would feel compelled to murder her children.

Also, Clinton's whole "oral sex was sex for her but not for me" thing? Gingrich was making that argument as far back as 1978, when he told his mistress that's what he'd say if word got out about them. I read this in the paper in 1996 - a good two years before Clinton was rightly raked over the coals for saying the same thing.

God, I hope he does become a serious contender for the presidential nomination! [Wink]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowX81:
Personally, I can never trust a man who can't keep the promise that should be most sacred to him.

Frankly I'm more concerned that my president keep the promise to uphold the Constitution than just about any other promise. What any president or presidental candidate promised any one particular woman in a religious ceremony -- or in bar, for that matter -- is of no concern to me. While you may think the vow to foresake all others should be the promise "most sacred", allow me to point out that's your religous belief which isn't necessarily the religious belief of everyone else. And even if it is, it was a promise to God and another person, not you. It's for God and that other person to judge and deal with, not you. If God can forgive, humans should be able to

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:

Frankly I'm more concerned that my president keep the promise to uphold the Constitution than just about any other promise.
Well, if one is not trustworthy in "small" things (like a marriage vow), why do you think the same person would be trustworthy in "large" things (like the Constitution and all)?

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
quote:

Frankly I'm more concerned that my president keep the promise to uphold the Constitution than just about any other promise.
Well, if one is not trustworthy in "small" things (like a marriage vow), why do you think the same person would be trustworthy in "large" things (like the Constitution and all)?
For me, it's more a question of not judging what happens within the confines of someone else's marriage.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:
quote:

Ah, because its a "large" thing (and thus more important), not a "small" thing (and thus less important). Or was that supposed to be a rhetorical question?

"Well if someone gets a parking fine, how can you trust them not to murder someone?"

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Small things always get bigger when you lie about them to the authorities. I learned this as a small child, pity Clinton and his fluffers here didn't.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Small things always get bigger when you lie about them to the authorities. I learned this as a small child, pity Clinton and his fluffers here didn't.

Agreed. Most people make mistakes from time to time, but the lies are what make me not trust people. Too bad Bush and his sheep didn't learn that "small things always get bigger when you lie about them."

goose, gander; pot, kettle; etc., et al . . .

--------------------

Simply Madeline
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simply Madeline     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Could you please point out where someone in this thread is fluffing Clinton?
Posts: 763 | From: Chicago | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simply Madeline:
quote:

Could you please point out where someone in this thread is fluffing Clinton?
Every time someone repeats the fib that the impeachment was about having sex, not lying under oath. There was no count of "NFBSKing" in the indictment.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
quote:

Agreed. Most people make mistakes from time to time, but the lies are what make me not trust people. Too bad Bush and his sheep didn't learn that "small things always get bigger when you lie about them."

goose, gander; pot, kettle; etc., et al . . .

I've heard that one before... my mother always used to confuse the difference between "being wrong" and "lying" too.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages