snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Awesome Idea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awesome Idea
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AWESOME IDEA

I think these ideas need to be forwarded on to everyone's senators, representatives and even the President at President@whitehouse.gov .. Maybe it would put a halt to all of the illegal immigration and all the extra expenses their being here put on the American people.

Bush wants us to cut the amount of gas we use. The best way to stop using so
much gas is to deport 11 million illegal immigrants! That would be 11 million
less people using our gas. The price of gas would come down. If you think this
is a good solution to both the problems, forward it to your friends. I just did.

Bring our troops home from Iraq to guard the border. When they catch an
illegal immigrant crossing the border, hand him a canteen, rifle and some ammo
and ship him to Iraq.

Tell him if he wants to come to America then he must serve a tour in the
military. Give him a soldier's pay while he's there and tax him on it.

After his tour, he will be allowed to become a citizen since he defended this
country. He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal patriot. This
option will probably deter illegal immigration and provide a solution for the
troops in Iraq and the aliens trying to make a better life for themselves.

If they refuse to serve, ship them to Iraq anyway, without the canteen, rifle
or ammo. Problem solved.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 101 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't want to believe people are this stupid. We already deport illegal immigrants dumb NFBSKs. And wow, illegal immigration has completely dried up and look at the gas prices plummet! But wait, what about the gas we use to take the immigrants back across the border?

The second idea is so stupid I refuse to comment on it.

ETA: Accidentally quoted the entire OP

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this was probably a joke, but it worries me that there are people out there that really think like this.

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What? It was a joke? And to think I was about to forward it to all my friends... thanks for saving me the embarassment. [Wink]

MacLloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
no worries MacLloyd [Wink]

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
He will also be registered to be taxed and be a legal patriot.

I'm confused. What is a legal patriot? Is there such a thing as an illegal patriot? Or is it illegal to not be a patriot?

baby "I'll get it ---> [fish] " shoes

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does make a point, though, if an illegal emmigrant is willing to serve this country, fight and potentially die for this country, I would have absolutely no objection to speeding up the citizenship process.

Yes, LM, we do deport, SOME illegal immigrants, but it is also illegal for the police to ask a person (whether in a traffic stop, or while apprehended in the commission of a crime) whether they are a legal resident of this country. I think that is wrong.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin Roll:
Yes, LM, we do deport, SOME illegal immigrants, but it is also illegal for the police to ask a person (whether in a traffic stop, or while apprehended in the commission of a crime) whether they are a legal resident of this country. I think that is wrong.

I'm going to have to ask for a cite on this. Where is it illegal, and under what law?

In a traffic stop, it might be illegal, because a traffic stop is supposed to be a very limited detention, and questioning is supposed to be limited to the purpose of the stop, unless other information develops. But why would it be illegal to question someone who was in custody (or someone who was not detained at all) about their immigrant status?

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Underground, overground waffling free.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Griffin roll- Are you trying to start your own urban legend?

--------------------

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The second idea is somewhat feasable. Maybe we can also offer prisoners who have life with parole possibility or less a shorter prison term if they are willing to fight overseas in exchange for a reduction on prison time (for instance, ever year fighting counts as 2 in prison)
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
Maybe we can also offer prisoners who have life with parole possibility or less a shorter prison term if they are willing to fight overseas in exchange for a reduction on prison time (for instance, ever year fighting counts as 2 in prison)

Didn't America have a similar system during WWII? Soldiers facing execution or life imprisonment would be offered extremely hazardous missions, and if they survived their sentences would be revoked. IIRC a film was made about the practice.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ophiuchus, don't you know people who commit felonies are too immoral to go to war and kill people. See, there they are. All sitting with Group W on that bench.....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kid, have you reformed?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kid, we don't like your kind, and we're gonna send your fingerprints off to Washington.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who has the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs????

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Bring our troops home from Iraq to guard the border. When they catch an
illegal immigrant crossing the border, hand him a canteen, rifle and some ammo
and ship him to Iraq.

For some reason, I read this too quickly, as saying that we should hand Bush all of the above and ship him off to Iraq...which made me sort of confused as to why people were pooh poohing the idea so quickly.
Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
Underground, overground waffling free.

Ye wee earrrwurrrming bastid!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If they refuse to serve, ship them to Iraq anyway, without the canteen, rifle
or ammo. Problem solved.

Yes, let's abduct foreign national civilians, transport them to a war zone, and dump them there unarmed. I think we've finally found a way to break every single provision of the Geneva Convention all at once.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The second idea is somewhat feasable. Maybe we can also offer prisoners who have life with parole possibility or less a shorter prison term if they are willing to fight overseas in exchange for a reduction on prison time (for instance, ever year fighting counts as 2 in prison)
Yeah, because we all really want to see violent felons get out of prison earlier by engaging in even more violence.

- snopes

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you been watching re-runs of Garrison's Gorillas ?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like many other rants I've seen this one assumes all Illegal immigrants to be young and male.

Let's get those babies and nursing mothers into uniform and into a combat zone, pronto!

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I seem to remember reading something a few years ago that said that it was possible to enlist in the US military as a non-citizen and earn citizenship through military sevice. That may have been pre-9/11 though.

Not that I'm endorsing the recruiting method advocated in the OP.

Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin Roll:

I'm going to have to ask for a cite on this. Where is it illegal, and under what law?
It isn't illegal, but many police departments (Los Angeles, for instance) have policies that the police won't ask about residence status.

The reasoning is: if the police enforced immigration, then illegal immigrants would be hesitant to call the police if they were robbed, raped, etc. This would leave them more vulnerable to exploitation and abuse.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaxKaladin:
You know, I seem to remember reading something a few years ago that said that it was possible to enlist in the US military as a non-citizen and earn citizenship through military sevice. That may have been pre-9/11 though.

Not that I'm endorsing the recruiting method advocated in the OP.

Earning an expedited citizenship through military service has been in place since 2002.
quote:
To thank military members defending a nation not their own in wartime, President Bush has eliminated the three-year waiting period for active-duty service members to apply for citizenship. Bush signed the executive order July 3 as a pre-Independence Day gift.
This policy has led to a record number of immigrant serving in the armed forces.
quote:
More than 25,000 immigrants have become citizens and another 40,000 have become eligible for citizenship through the military since President Bush signed an executive order in July 2002 speeding the process.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me or is the anti-immigration buzz getting really loud lately? I don't get the anger towards immigrants, illegal or legal, when we have so many other problems that are unrelated.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Also worth pointing out ban all the illegal immigrants and you will have to have Americans manning the 24/7 garages, thus increasing the wages and putting up petrol prices.

--------------------

yogi cat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yogi cat   E-mail yogi cat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
Maybe we can also offer prisoners who have life with parole possibility or less a shorter prison term if they are willing to fight overseas in exchange for a reduction on prison time (for instance, ever year fighting counts as 2 in prison)

Didn't America have a similar system during WWII? Soldiers facing execution or life imprisonment would be offered extremely hazardous missions, and if they survived their sentences would be revoked. IIRC a film was made about the practice.
When I was in high school I knew a guy who told me that he got out of jail early (manslaughter or murder I don't remember--the guy died accidentally while he was robbing him) to go to Vietnam. He was pretty open about everything and not one to make things up (that I knew of), so I didn't ever suspect him of lying about it--but I never asked for any proof.

--------------------
We criticize a thinker more sharply when he presents us with a displeasing proposition; and yet it would be more reasonable to do this when his proposition pleases us.
--Nietzsche

Posts: 85 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Human Bean
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Human Bean   E-mail Human Bean   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I live less than 20 minutes from the Mexican Border. I've seen both the pros and cons of illegal immigration. At this point, I'd have to say that there is slightly more con than pro. Not necessarily because it is bad for the the United States. It can be very bad (even deadly) for those crossing illegally. Working conditions for illegals suck as well.

That said, illegal immigration is... ILLEGAL! There are proper legal ways to enter this country. USE THEM! I don't believe anyone is justified in committing an illegal act.

If people in this country don't like the fact that it is illegal to enter the country in that manner, vote to change the damn law! Otherwise, people that break the law to get what they want will not have my sympathy.

--------------------
"We have normality. I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem." -Trillian

Posts: 12 | From: El Paso, TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Human Bean makes some good points, but I disagree that illegal acts are never justified. There are acts of civil disobedience, for example, such as when protesters refuse withdraw to a "free speech zone" (to which they will claim, of course, that the whole country is supposed to be a free speech zone, public right-of-ways, at least).

As long as I don't harm others or their property, I seldom worry about the legality of my actions, and most of us, unless we are thieves or other predators, live our daily lives without stopping to think what is or is not legal, because we have internalized our ethics or morals, and we wish to live peacefully and honestly. For those who haven't, we have police, courts, and jails.

But you do what you have to do to survive, and if you break a few laws that don't involve actual crimes (such as assault or theft), I say no foul. If someone wants or needs to use medical marijuana (or recreational pot, for that matter), it doesn't really matter (unless caught and punished) if it's legal in their state or if the feds recognize state medical marijuana laws (laws against drugs - stemming from the Harrison Act - are unconstitutional, anyway). As long as no one is hurt and no property taken or damaged, I really don't care.

Now, if you think that illegal immigrants using taxpayer funded services - such as public schools and the welfare system, including medical care - qualifies as theft (and I'm not saying any of you do, but there are those who believe that taxation in general is theft, or that undocumented workers using social services, and public schools for their children is theft from the taxpayers), I suggest taking THAT up with your elected reps, and either dismantling the welfare state and privatizing education, or disallowing said services to illegal immigrants. If it is true that they come here for those services, then it would discourage a lot of them, but most come here to work.

Human Bean is correct in asserting that if we don't like laws we should try to change them, but I'm saying that we can't all wait for that change, when we have imminent needs, and there is a higher paying job on this side of the border, or cannibus alleviates your health problems. The legality of such acts is only important if we are caught. I would not question the morality of either of the above two acts.

I live my life without much regard to what is legal or illegal, except that I hope to avoid speeding tickets, etc, as much as possible (even so, I generally act safely and courteously, without enforcement). I act according to what is right, and the silver rule (don't do unto others as you wouldn't have them do unto you). If people sneak across the border to earn more money, rather than entering the country legally, I don't consider them criminal, such as people who commit crimes against persons and property.

Human Bean is right that there are pros and cons to illegal immigration. There's some trouble hiring enough agricultural workers around here lately. But as far as whether a thing is legal or not, I only give it a thought if it it's immoral, or if the consequences are bad.

I have a separate question for those who oppose undocumented workers. Have you ever hired a "day laborer," citizen, legal resident, or not? When I need help doing something I can't do by myself, I first try to hire a teenaged child of a friend or neighbor. Failing that, we have on occasion got homeless persons to help out on a small project, and afterward fed them, let them do laundry, and take a shower (besides paying them fairly, of course). But if those two avenues of procuring labor fail, you cruise down to the Home Depot, K-Mart or lumber store and hire a day laborer. I've never done it, but I have no ethical problem with that, and as I speak Spanish, language isn't even a problem. Also, when hiring a contractor, the legal status of the employees is no concern of mine.

Everybody needs to look out for his or her own interests. If we can help each other out by either providing goods and services, or paying for them, everybody wins, and I don't care if it's legal, as long as it's honest, peaceful, and non-polluting.

Lastly, if you build a 50 foot fence, someone will build a 51 foot ladder.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you're thinking of The Dirty Dozen, those guys were in the brig for breaking military law, not (only?) civilian law, and they were already in the war zone.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:

If you're thinking of The Dirty Dozen, those guys were in the brig for breaking military law, not (only?) civilian law, and they were already in the war zone.

Four Kitties

Yes, Garrison's Gorrilas as suggested by Christie is probably closer to the idea.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages