snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Flight 93

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flight 93
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Was the "French guy" in the film "Flight 93" who kept saying
"Leave them alone and don't interfere and they'll let us all go" just an
artistic "jab", or was there really someone like that on the flight?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like a lot of Hollywood movies have French characters who are contemptible or irritating. I haven't seen Flight 93, though.

I don't know how they would know for sure that there was a French guy on the flight saying those things. Maybe somebody's cell-phone or some other communication recorded the passengers shouting in the background, one of whom was a guy with a French accent saying those things. But my uneducated guess is that the French guy was just something the makers decided to add.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched the movie yesterday and I am pretty sure the man you are refering to was Christian Adams, played by Erich Redman. According to the biography contained on the DVD, Mr. Adams was German, not French, and was wine dealer. His biography was the shortest, only a few sentences.

As for his portrayal in the movie, I am guessing that it would have to be based on reality in someway, i.e cell phone calls or some other form of communication. I doubt that Paul Greengrass and others who worked on the film would take such an extreme artistic lincense.

Slightly off topic, I thought the movie was fantastic, made me cry.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On CNN's passenger list, I didn't find anyone whose name looked even remotely french.

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Xan Brooks of The Guardian:

quote:
Now the actor who plays Adams on screen has defended his role in the movie, arguing that his cautious, pacifist stance was in keeping with Adams' own persona.
However, that is of course based on the actors own interpretation:

quote:
Actor Erich Redman said that he based his performance on an interview he read with a former colleague of Christian Adams. "He never made any rash decisions and everything he did was always well-considered," he said. "I think he would have said, 'Let's not do this, let's be quiet, let's not interfere with [the terrorists], because once we have landed the authorities will take care of it
Emphasis mine.

Furthermore it should be noted that:

quote:
Before embarking on United 93, director Greengrass was careful to secure the support of the victims' families. But Adams' widow, Silke Adams, is believed to have refused to cooperate on the film, saying that the memory of her husband's death was still too raw. This has left the film open to charges that Adams has been set up as the story's fall guy, the token cowardly German amid a band of brave Americans.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this a bad time to poiny out that many w/ "french accents" are actually N African? Not pointing at that region per se, but perhaps "French" are not getting a completly fair rap? Being French in that area, is almost equivelant to being "American" in terms of migration and immigration...

War

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TwoGuys, thanks for that link.

I have not yet seen this movie, but now I'll be paying attention for this event.

It may well be that the portrayal of Adams in the film is not the most accurate, and that without the assistance of the family, they were forced to rely on friends and colleages.

But the opinion expressed by the Adams character in the film was SOP for dealing with hijackings up until that point. There had never been a suicide attack with hijacked planes before, and flight crew were taught to obey the hijackers and not endanger themselves, the passengers, or the plane.

In order to fly with my sidearm, I (and all Federal law enforcement officers) had to pass an online test mandated ny the FAA. Basically, the rules were--

-In the event of hijacking, take no action unless lives were endangered or asked by the flight crew.

-Do not attempt to act alone.

-If the plane is being stormed by rescue personnel, do not attempt to join in.

Remember, until that day, most hijackings had been resolved peacefully, with only occasional resort to a hostage rescue. There was no reason to believe that the UA93 hijacking was any different until people began to communicate with others off the aircraft. As I haven't sen the movie, does the character express this idea AFTER the passengers know the events that are unfolding?

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DAnnino makes some good points. As a one time frequent flyer, I was taught to take an additude pretty much equal to what is expressed by Adams in the movie. We were always told that in the event of a hijacking we should just co-operate. Because the worst that would happen would be a detour and a long delay in our scheduled arrival.

That's why flight 93 has always stood out in my mind. It shows how quickly passengers adapted to the change in the 'rules'.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
DAnnino makes some good points. As a one time frequent flyer, I was taught to take an additude pretty much equal to what is expressed by Adams in the movie. We were always told that in the event of a hijacking we should just co-operate. Because the worst that would happen would be a detour and a long delay in our scheduled arrival.

That's why flight 93 has always stood out in my mind. It shows how quickly passengers adapted to the change in the 'rules'.

Perhaps, that is why Greenglass included this exchange. It shows the demarcation line between the "old" rules, and the "new" reality.

EDIT: While watching CNN's coverage of 9/11 yesterday morning, they showed FlightTracker from that date in real time. Following the hijackings, the flight data showed the message "ETA CHANGE." And many of the ATC personnel kept assuming that AA11 was attempting to land at LaGuardia even after it struck the first building.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:
There had never been a suicide attack with hijacked planes before, and flight crew were taught to obey the hijackers and not endanger themselves, the passengers, or the plane.

Air France 8969 is a suspected suicide hijack attempt that was foiled by French commandos.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, they needed to include some conflict to the story, and giving the man French accent is just another way to strengthen anti French feeling, and to punish the French for daring not to agree with invasion of Iraq. In the past every vilain spoke with Russian accent.
Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seraphina:
Well, they needed to include some conflict to the story, and giving the man French accent is just another way to strengthen anti French feeling, and to punish the French for daring not to agree with invasion of Iraq. In the past every vilain spoke with Russian accent.

Really? I never noticed that. I have noticed that (at least in the movies I've seen) the more sophisticated villains often have a British accent.

Also: It's still not clear (to me at least) that the Adams character did have a French accent. Spc. Sharki pointed out that Christian Adams was German. So if they did give him a French accent, that's a little strange. There's a good chance that the commenter Snopes quoted was just confused.

Still, your point could also apply to Germany and the German "surrender monkeys" who didn't support America's noble crusade in Babylon against the lord of terror.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 217 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a couple months since I've seen the movie but the accent sounded German to me, not French. (I used to work for a French company and I've heard many different types of French accents.)
BTW, I thought it was an excellent movie. It's in my top ten for 2006 so far and will likely remain there.
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
quote:
Originally posted by DAnnino:
There had never been a suicide attack with hijacked planes before, and flight crew were taught to obey the hijackers and not endanger themselves, the passengers, or the plane.

Air France 8969 is a suspected suicide hijack attempt that was foiled by French commandos.
Other incidents prior to September 11 where an attacker attempted to hijack an aircraft and crash it into an important building:

FedEx Flight 705 was an attempt to crash a DC-10 into FedEx headquarters in 1994. The attacker critically wounded the flight crew but was subdued and never got control of the aircraft.

Delta Air Lines Flight 523 was an attempt to crash a DC-9 into the White House in 1974. The attacker was shot while trying to force a passenger (he had already shot the pilots) to get the plane off the ground, then committed suicide.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Billion:
quote:

Really? I never noticed that. I have noticed that (at least in the movies I've seen) the more sophisticated villains often have a British accent.

30-40 years ago even in kid's program there was a badie called Natasha speaking with Russian accent. In many USA movies villains were given foreign accent. Very effective mass brainwashing scheme.

quote:
Also: It's still not clear (to me at least) that the Adams character did have a French accent. Spc. Sharki pointed out that Christian Adams was German. So if they did give him a French accent, that's a little strange. There's a good chance that the commenter Snopes quoted was just confused.

Still, your point could also apply to Germany and the German "surrender monkeys" who didn't support America's noble crusade in Babylon against the lord of terror.

I did not see the film, but it seems to me as a likely thing that the "cowardly" person could not possibly be an American. And since the Russians are nowadays friends, German or French would do just nicely.

Christian Adams is not a German name in any case.

Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Short Christian Adams obit which states his father lives in Germany.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nobody Important
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nobody Important   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
30-40 years ago even in kid's program there was a badie called Natasha speaking with Russian accent.

Ah yes! Boris and Natasha, arch enemies of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Natasha's accent was Russian, but to me Boris sounded more Romanian or Serbian.

[Feel free to have a discussion while I sleep of how a Romanian accent sounds WAY different from a Serbian accent.]

Posts: 482 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages