snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Why we are at WAR (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why we are at WAR
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Every building project in Iraq is being handled by the invading countries, so in fact Iraq is paying us to rebuild the country we destroyed.
They aren't paying us a damned thing. The US government is footing the bill for reconstruction and reparations.

Where are you getting this stuff from?

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
xanderfox
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I personaly believe a lot of factors lead to the Invasion of Iraq by the US. And thier isn't a single group who we can conviently blame it all on. Lets face it a lot had to do with Bush trying to improve his approval rateing thinking this war would be fast, clean and easy being oblivious to the logistics of it. The Oil Lobbies where obvosily intrested in the oil, thiers no question.

The Biggest problem is the US is in a real No Win situation. If we just pull out of Iraq we will leave the Iraqie people at the mercy of relegious Zelots and warlords who will quickly demolish the new Goverment and make things horrible. If we stay insurgents will contine to attack with suicide bombers, shoot Iraquie civillians just for a chance to get one US soilder and generaly keep things dicey and contine to up the body count. Not matter what the US gets to be the villian.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the board!

You have summed up the current situation nicely.

As for the causes that put us in Iraq, I think you are right when you say "there isn't a single group who we can conveniently blame it all on." Even though the declaration was issued by the President and Congress, the hugely complex paths leading up to that decision are cause for concern as well.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Groveldog
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just looking forward to the day when Jenna and Barbara Bush go get Osama for their Daddy, just like George Jr got Saddam for his. Ahhh, the circle of life.

But really, I'm mostly enjoying the irony of the OP's example of Saddam bashing his wife. By absolutely no means am I condoning Saddam and his ghastly actions in real life. But by introducing a Shiite Muslim government into Iraq, the war (and the folks that proudly brought us that program) have set women in Iraq back about 90 years.

Through Saddam's repression of the majority Shiite faction (which is a much stricter Muslim group) women had almost equal rights with men. In fact, Iraq's government had a greater percentage of women than the US does.

With the Shiites likely to inflict strict religious views on all Iraqis, the country is likely to enjoy the fun filled thrills Afghanistan had with the Taliban (that kinda rhymes).
Then again, Iraq was a scary place under Saddam Hussein.

So, I'm not taking sides much. Just suggesting maybe people educate themselves a bit rather than following a partisan view.

Other key words to look up, besides genocide, repression and bastard, might include Haliburton, oil, Kuwait and Cheney.

My Aussie government did the same thing in East Timor. Freed the Timorese from Indonesian control, and did a deal to get massive profits from the Timorese oil rigs.

Sadly, freedom seems to have a price, plus state and federal taxes.

Edited because me fail English, that's unpossible!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a re-glurgification, or am I imagining that we've seen this thing before?

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gg83
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gg83         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemi:
I think this is a re-glurgification, or am I imagining that we've seen this thing before?

Noemi

Nope, you're not.
Posts: 241 | From: Land of Lincoln, IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you! Now I can't figure out why I didn't find that thread when I searched for it.

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does every one forget Hans Blix, or the fact that the US started bombing the day before the report came out. The UN did the job it was intended to by monitoring and controlling Saddam. The US and France were doing a great job of Good cop/Bad cop. more information was released during this period than ever before. A little more pressure of this type might have toppled him. Saddam doen't even deserve the "worst dictator ever" title. Comparing him to Hitler really gives him too much credit. What is incredibly frustrating is that there seems to be the mentallity of "Blow them all up" or do nothing, like there was no alternatives.

In hind sight it would have been better if a UN mandated multinational force went in after the initial war and worked at stabalising the country. Contracts to supply or rebuild should have gone to Iraqi companies, not to halliburton. No foreign nationals should have gone there to make good money driving trucks whilst the locals could earn nothing. Much of the resentment against the US forces is the perception of corruption and bias.

If you give people too much time on their hands with nothing to do and treat the genreal population with contempt, then you are asking for trouble.
The US forces that went there were underfunded and under prepared, and I find it quite shocking that anyone who cares about the brave individuals that do put their lives on the line would support any action that was ill conceived and badly managed. I'm sorry I'm ranting a little, but I get very angry at any government that professes to be "for the soldiers" but treats them like shit in reality.

Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was anyone else bugged by the tone this father took with his very young child? How is it a good and glurgiful thing to freak your son out so bad that he starts crying. Not being a parent yet, I wouldn't really know, but it seems like the whole thing was a pretty traumatic experience for the kid.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages