snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Dear snopes: Is there a Virginia O'Hanlon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dear snopes: Is there a Virginia O'Hanlon?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 105 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: DEAR EDITOR: I am 44 years old. Some of my poker buddies say
there was no such person as Virginia O'Hanlon, and that letter to the
editor of the New York Sun that she wrote about the existence of Santa
Claus in 1897 was just an invented pretext for a nice holiday message they
thought up. They say that no child would refer to her peers as "My little
friends" and the odd tribute to the reliability of the New York Sun was
obviously conjured by a staff hack keen on self-promotion.

Papa says, "If you see it in Snopes.com, it's so." Please tell me the
truth; was there a Virginia O'Hanlon?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ledfeather
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledfeather   E-mail Ledfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Shouldn't that be my little poker buddies say....

--------------------
There is absolutely no evidence that life is meant to be taken serious.

Posts: 29 | From: Washington | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall an episode of Antiques Roadshow where one of Virginia's descendants brought in the original letter and a clipping of the response.

ETA: Here is a picture of it and it appears in their Appraise It Yourself section.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, here is another picture of the same (?) letter:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/news/extra/rochester_history/1225story3_news.shtml

I wonder how many original letters there are?

Here is a recording of Virginia reading her letter and talking about it on CBC radio:
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-412-2344/life_society/christmas_fun/clip4

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm impressed that little Virginia knew how to properly use quotation marks and apostrophes at the tender age of eight.

Either our public education system has deteriorated, or she had some help from Mama.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horse Chestnut:
I'm impressed that little Virginia knew how to properly use quotation marks and apostrophes at the tender age of eight.

Either our public education system has deteriorated, or she had some help from Mama.

She came from an educated family. I wouldn't be surprised that she could have written the letter properly on her own. Equally I wouldn't be surprised if she had some help. Nothing wrong with that!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The quotation marks and apostrophes are fine but she didn't get along quite as well with the commas.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, she missed a shot at using a semicolon there, Ganzfeld.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

It's okay; the editors put it in for her.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages