snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Death of Aeschylus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death of Aeschylus
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have seen several web sites which claim that the ancient Greek playwrite Aeschylus died when a vulture (or an eagle) dropped a tortoise on his head, apparently mistaking his bald head for a rock. Can you confirm this?
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this story as well. However, I cannot find any reference to it in any of my books on Greek history - except the children's book, 'The Groovy Greeks'. This is in the 'Horrible Histories' series and is often more concerned with comedy than with accuracy.

In 'Greece and the Hellenistic World' (part of the 'Oxford History of the Classical World') it mentions that Aeschylus wrote his own epitaph. It said that he wanted to be remembered as a soldier in the infantry at the Battle of Marathon, not as a playwright. There is no mention on the manner of his death.

A lengthy article in the 'Encyclopaedia of the Ancient Greek World' (edited by David Sacks) mentions an anecdote from his early life but merely says that he died in Sicily at the age of 69 (456 BC). Once again the manner of his death is not mentioned.

Is Sicily noted for its short-sighted eagles?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned the story in my Classical Culture course at college. Struck me as a good way for Aeschylus to go, though my teacher said that the tale originated in a satire (sorry, can't recall the title) and had no basis in fact. However, IIRC, Euripides died after being attacked by ferocious guard dogs.

Brad "That tragedy didn't make me laugh once! Smithers, release the hounds" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought the Horrible Histories books were surprisingly accurate...

I heard the same stories they listed in my IB history class back in high school...

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Horrible Histories' are often accurate, but I have noticed one or two 'questionable' facts appearing in them - such as the Aeschylus story. I would recommend them, though, to children of all ages. I would not use them as the final voice of authority on any subject, though.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages