snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Latrine practices posed health risks to sect

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Latrine practices posed health risks to sect
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Following directions in the Dead Sea Scrolls, archeologists have found the latrines used by the sect that produced the scrolls, discovering that efforts to achieve ritual purity inadvertently exposed members to intestinal parasites that shortened their lives.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-qumran14nov14,0,6355948.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The group was not allowed to defecate on the Sabbath, he said, because its members were prohibited from leaving the city.
Yikes! [Eek!]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Sh*t!

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not allow to defecate? That's crazy! And cruel! If you have to poop, you HAVE to go! How can it be forbidden? Why should the sect leaders forbid the members to poop just because they were prohibited from leaving the city on the Sabbath? Isn't their healthy more important?

Doesn't make sense at all.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
Why should the sect leaders forbid the members to poop just because they were prohibited from leaving the city on the Sabbath? Isn't their health more important?

Jesus would probably agree with you on that, what with his views on the Sabbath and all.

But some people really like the letter of the law. To a fault, you might say.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You all know the Bible has the same rule, right? (Not the pooping on the Sabbath one, the burying the poop one.) Deuteronomy 23:12-14 (Today's NIV):
quote:
Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you.
Which, apparently, means God takes no s**t from anybody. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And the Lord said,
Crap not thou upon the Sabbath.
And the people said,
You have to be kidding.
I mean, when you gotta go,
You gotta go.
And the Lord said,
No, I was speaking metaphorically,
You imbeciles.
I mean honor the Sabbath,
Do no dirt upon it.
Yea, but the people soon forgot that,
And lo, they retained their displeasure,
And they swelled with pride,
And the day after the Sabbath became rank,
And the Lord said,
What a bunch of losers.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brad - You almost made me spit water into my laptop.

Seriously, though, what's a short life when you are looking at eternal salvation. It's my understanding (from taking one class about the subject) that the Essenes believed hosts of Angels would be coming down to lead the select (them) to victory against the Romans any second. They had to be ready to win back the holy land and the temple. When you have that kind of mindset, a few years off your life seems like a small price to pay.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages