snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » The face of Jack the Ripper revealed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The face of Jack the Ripper revealed?
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Story here.

quote:
A new British documentary claims to have finally revealed the face of Jack the Ripper, the elusive 19th century serial killer who has been immortalized not only by the brutality of crimes, but also for his ability to evade justice.

Using modern profiling techniques and drawing on witness testimony, a new investigation has created a composite of what is believed to be the most accurate likeness of Britain's first serial killer. Aside from providing an image of the stocky mustached-man, it has also revealed some surprising details about his character and may have also pinpointed which street he lived on.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The image looks a bit like Freddie Mercury. [Eek!]

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ms. Richards said the killer was likely overlooked by police because of he was viewed as too “mundane” or “ordinary.” She said they were likely looking for the wrong man and that if the techniques used by modern police forces had been available, the Ripper would almost certainly have been caught.
IIRC, the latest device in criminology back then was to profile someone based on their physical traits, such as shape of their heads, to determine one's criminal mentality. The usual stereotypes of the ugly, shifty-eyed chap were thought to be accurate.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The composite doesn't look quite human- possibly because the nose looks to thin to be natural and the eyes a bit flat.

I think people do the Victorian police force a great disservice by saying they would have caught him but for their idea that criminals all looked shifty eyed and twitchy (especially as Jack the Ripper is often romatically thought to be a member of the aristocracy or surgeon).

At a guess I would say those investigating the murders had probably seen deviant behaviour as bad if not worse and therefore were used to the idea that murderes could look like anyone. I think they were hindered far more by lack of scientific means to analyse evidence than any preconceptions about who criminals were (which were probably saved for the tabloids of the day perpetrating the myth that Victorians were all into skull measring and table tapping).

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Squirrel, I think what you're seeing that's "off" about the face is that it's perfectly bilaterally symmetrical. Except for a few small things about the hair, every feature is a perfect mirror image.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks more like Jack the Sim.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also looks as if his mustache is made of iron filings, and you can have a limited amount of fun moving them around his head.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
That looks more like Jack the Sim.

I thought the same thing. And then I thought how much better he would look with the pointy spiked hair. And then I theorized that he's a Romance aspiration sim, because they're all jerks.

How come we get a fabulous, identifiable photo of a criminal who's been dead for a very, very long time, but when we're looking for a real live criminal, they usually look like they were drawn by little Billy from Mrs. Stevenson's third period art class?

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that game, Chloe!
I knew that guy looked familiar.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Red Squirrel:

At a guess I would say those investigating the murders had probably seen deviant behaviour as bad if not worse and therefore were used to the idea that murderes could look like anyone. I think they were hindered far more by lack of scientific means to analyse evidence than any preconceptions about who criminals were (which were probably saved for the tabloids of the day perpetrating the myth that Victorians were all into skull measring and table tapping).

I agree that they were probably hindered more by the inability to analyze evidence. However, preconceptions can affect even the most disciplined scientist, so I don't see why it's unfair to think that the police were labouring under the thinking that physiognomy and mentality are linked, an idea that Victorian academia and popular culture seems to have been quite wedded to.

My understanding is mostly based on the Stephen Jay Gould book The Mismeasure of Man, though, so evidence to the contrary would be much appreciated.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. Hours of fun in the days before snopes.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages