snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Lord Haw Haw's facial scar split when he was hanged.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lord Haw Haw's facial scar split when he was hanged.
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard recently in a fairly reliable documentary that when the Nazi propagandist William Joyce (aka Lord Haw-Haw) was hanged, a facial scar he had received two decades earlier burst open. This sounds a bit implausible, after such a passage of time surely it would have stayed closed.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the picture they show of him here
http://www.fastnetfilms.com/production_tv.htm

makes it look like a depression in his face as though the underlying supporting muscle and fat are gone. Since the scar ran from his earlobe to the corner of his mouth and scar tissue has limited elasticity it would be possible that his scar tore open.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He got the scar in 1924 from a razor slash duirng a streetfight at a political rally. He blamed the scar on "Jewish Communists."

He was executed on January 3, 1946. The January 4 report of his execution in The Times is available to someone with a subscription to MSN Encarta. Time Magazine reported on his sentencing
October 1, 1945 A Rope for Haw-Haw "The prisoner was so pale that his face scar gleamed red, but he showed no other sign of emotion."

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just have to add that my best friend in the world is a Jewish communist. She doesn't cut me but often throws things at me for no apparent reason.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages