snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Apple Roll

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple Roll
ctown28
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctown28   E-mail ctown28   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got this email today with the following:

When I was in school in Tiffin, Ohio back in the 1950s, once or twice a year the children in the class would organize a secret "apple roll" day. Each would bring an apple (or an orange) to school and hide it in the desk. Then the designated leader would wait for the right moment and drop a book on the floor. Everyone would grab their apples and roll them bowling style up the aisles to the front of the room. The sound was thunderous. The teacher would act very surprised and flattered -- and then would take a large paper bag from her desk drawer and gather up the fruit with some help. Since we always had 36 in a class, it was an easy 3 dozen apples for her. Also, the seats were old-fashioned, screwed to the floor so that the rows were straight. I am thinking this tradition might have emerged from the Depression, a way to help "pay" the teacher.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Posts: 143 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTR it was also mentioned in Paul Zindel's book The Pigman.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't the apples be bruised beyond use? Maybe teacher was expected to go home that night and make applesauce.

I can tell you that I wouldn't be eating anything that had rolled across the floor of my classroom. Maybe the floors in schools were cleaner (and the flesh of apples, hardier) in the good old days.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, the oranges would work much better for rolling. But what's wrong with just handing them to the teacher?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Plus, who wants to eat three dozen apples? I'd think one or two would be enough.

Then again, I'd probably be one of those teachers who'd rather her students bring in fine imported chocolate than apples. Or perhaps liquor--it is quicker.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Teacher to class: "It takes much more than an apple to the teacher to get a good grade".

The next day someone had put a pumpkin on the teacher's desk.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages