snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Hitler's father wanted his mother to get an abortion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitler's father wanted his mother to get an abortion?
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post 
I'm pretty sure I heard from at least one place that when Hitler's mother was pregnant with him, his father wanted her to have an abortion but she didn't. Does anybody know anything about that? From what I've heard of Hitler Sr., it sounds like him but it also sounds like pro-choice propoganda (or maybe more like a counter argument to pro-life propoganda).
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Oops! I found it in the archive.
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sumopanda
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sumopanda   E-mail sumopanda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Link me! Now you've got me interested and I can't find that anywhere on here
Posts: 3 | From: Kawasaki, Japan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sumopanda

Icon 302 posted      Profile for sumopanda   E-mail sumopanda   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Sorry, double post.
Posts: 3 | From: Kawasaki, Japan | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gydna

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gydna     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking to me. Consider the following:-

a) Probably illegal at the time in an Empire dominated by and officially Catholic

b) Adolf was not the first born or last born of his mother by his father.

c) His father had previous children by earlier wives.

d) Suggestions that father wanted to get rid and mother didn't probably come from the tempestuous relationship between father and Adolf and the fact that his mother seemed to dote on him. However, father and son relationship was about his character, dreams and work ethic - hardly unusual. Mother doting on him when she lost several other children in infancy - hardly unusual either.

--------------------
Churchill drank, smoked and was a successful amateur painter. Hitler was a teetotal, vegetarian, animal loving failed professional painter. Draw your own conclusions!

Posts: 34 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Interesting -- depending on the story/agenda of a teller, we're supposed to either regret that someone gave birth to a dictator, or think that every fetus is the next Jonas Salk.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I know. You never hear about the future accountants or orthodontists or P.E. teachers that got aborted.

Although, along those lines, has anyone read a Roald Dahl short story about the birth of Hitler? It's called Genesis and Catastrophe, and it's about a new mother who'd just given birth, but whose children have died early on in life. She's terrified her new baby will meet the same fate, but the doctor reassures her, and lo and behold, it's Hitler.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Here's a link

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages