snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Was stonehenge rebuilt in modern times (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was stonehenge rebuilt in modern times
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Then there's Carhenge.

Nick

ET fix link

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^ to you, Floater!

I have to admit, though, that even if I had read the story about the not-tv-license-paying-minister-responsible-for-tv in todays paper, it only came back to me when I was trying to find out what the correct ministry in Sweden would be to apply to for funds ...

Don "Utbildnings- och Kulturdepartementet" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 203 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin just sent me this link today--

How stonehenge was built

Makes for an interesting theory.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to second the Avebury recommendation. It's huge, complicated and gorgeous, and there are a couple of lines nearby.

Or of course you could go up onto the Ridgeway and see the White Horse (Um. I originally mistyped that W into something really quite bad), walk along to Wayland's Smithy, and have a picnic and fly a kite while you're at it [Wink]

Or you could just hit http://www.megalithic.co.uk/ and make your own decisions [Smile]

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What does it matter if Stonehenge was fixed up a bit? It's a huge stone computer, for crying out loud! Let's face it, 128 megalith just isn't cutting edge. It needs at least a gigalith today.

Brad "yeah, Terry Pratchett, right" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC/Nova did a series together, exploring the Secrets of Lost Empires and it's been running on BBCPrime here. The one stone that fell over was only buried 3 meters into the ground. The stone next to it was buried 5 meters -> more stable.

We saw Avebury because somebody recommended it over Stonehenge. This was in 1993, so the fences were still up. Avebury is isolate, and fairly empty. It is no problem to just walk up to the stones. I don't think we even saw any tour buses. We didn't see Stonehenge. Even though we have seen Avebury, we still want to see Stonehenge - it's too well known.

And I also want to go to Callanish stone circle. The only time we were in Scotland, we would have been in the area over the weekend, and that area still has (had?) different ideas about work on Sunday.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Discovery Channel has a documentary on a project that happened where they recreated with scultped styrofoam a complete, full size model of stonehenge. They carefully cut and sculpted the styrofoam to resemble the shapes of the actual stones, and had an artist come colour match the paint, etc. In the end, it was probably the closest thing any of us will ever get to seeing what stonehenge was supposed to look like.

The documentary also surveyed a variety of interesting and apparently plausible theories for how it was built, and showed people re-enacting those theories. very interesting.

when they were all done, they used a giant spotlight to simulate the sun and calculated the correct placement for sunset, sunrise, etc., on various special times throughout the year, solstice etc., and the way the light reflected around and through the completed stonehenge was a very cool sight.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've yet to hear any convincing explanation from the druids of how Stonehenge collapsed at freefall. Computer simulations show that this could only happen with controlled demolition. Thats right, the Illuminati clearly kicked over Stonehenge to start the war of 1812 and profit from their gunpowder monopoly!
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages