snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Was stonehenge rebuilt in modern times (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was stonehenge rebuilt in modern times
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter recently stumbled across this page:

How They Rebuilt Stonehenge

It does appear to be a questionable site, I'll admit. But the are adament that earlier tour books on Stonehenge included this information.

Does anyone have any information on this?

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, that settles it, we will cancel our trip to England... [Wink]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are links to more articles about Brian Edwards' theories on how much of Stonehenge and nearby Avebury have been rebuilt.

The publication of his research has made Brian Edwards unpopular with certain custodians of our national heritage.

"What we have been looking at is a 20th-century landscape, reminiscent of what Stonehenge might have looked like thousands of years ago," says Brian Edwards, a student at the University of the West of England in Bristol. (note this article is from 2001)

ETA - The site is owned by English Heritage and I've looked through their website but can't find any mention of these theories. Looks like it's still a matter for debate.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

Doug, even if the stones have been replaced over the years, the site itself is still well worth a trip. Standing there and looking around at how the landscape on every horizon has been moulded by humans over thousands of years is quite something.
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Nightmare:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

Doug, even if the stones have been replaced over the years, the site itself is still well worth a trip. Standing there and looking around at how the landscape on every horizon has been moulded by humans over thousands of years is quite something.
[lol] Oh don't worry, we are going for the early morning (or is it late evening?) tour that allows us to "touch" the stones. Then my wife & I will start singing a certain song by Spinal Tap....

It is on the "must do" list in our (too short) trip to England (along with the British Museum). This article made no difference. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Glad to hear it! [Smile]
Doug4.7

quote:
Glad to hear it! [Smile]

[hyjack]As it gets closer to our trip time, I was ask here for suggestions on what are the "must see" things in and around London to really get a "feel" for the country. I know, too little time, too few locations, but I want to do what we can so we can return to Alabama and say we visited London and did more than take the air conditioned, smoked glass bus tour of London....[/hyjack]

--------------------

Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm at work at the moment, but I bought the latest 'English Heritage' official guide to Stonehenge about six weeks ago so I will see what that says when I get home.

However, I do know that one stone fell down before the First World War and it was re-erected. That is, as far as I know (and I have read several editions of guide books, 'Stonehenge Complete' (by Chippendale, mentioned in the link) and a couple of other Stonehenge books and there has not been any mention of a 're-building'.

Indeed when you look at Victorian photographs of the site there has been no change in the appearance of the stones. The picture that the link referred to (by Constable) is drawn from a different angle from the photograph printed next to it. In addition, as Chippendale points out, painters sich as Constable and Turner - especially the latter - took considerable liberties in their work.

As for the other photographs shown in the link, it should be remembered that considerable archaeology has taken place around the stones, and if you are digging round the base of a 20 ton stone, then naturally you take precautions so that it does not fall on top of you. You can see these supports in the photographs which the person who wrote the site has clearly misinterpreted.

Finally, it is Britain's policy, at least since the Second World War, not to rebuild ruined sites (as some other countries do). Thus I think the site your daughter found is, to say the least, mischievous.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Stonehenge Rebuilt" is a big exaggeration. It seems that having been neglected in previous times, over the course of the last century a few of the fallen stones have been uprighted, as have any leaning stones which were near to collapse, and a couple of lintels have been returned to their original positions.

Most historical monuments are restored at some point to repair wear and tear caused by the weather and visitors, as well as any other damage. I dare say this author could also write articles about how the Tower of London, or any other famous castle/cathedral/statue etc. has been "rebuilt" in recent years.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but if the stones were in fact set in concrete, that's a pretty signifigant change.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Stonehenge Saga according to the Council for British Archaeology.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a souvenir book from Stonehenge (Stonehenge by Robin Heath, not the official one) and it mentions fallen stones and restoration:

• 1797, trilithon 4 fell
  • 31 December 1900, stones 22 and 122 fell
  • 1958, trilithon 4 and stones 22 & 122 restored
  • 1963, stone 23 restored

The book includes a print of David Loggan's 17th engraving that shows stone 56 tilted.

ETA: The print looks like this one, but it's not the same.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just read the new English Heritage (2005) guide book to the monument. On pages 44 to 45 it talks about 'Modern Investigations'. To summarise:

1900: First restoration work. A trilithon is straightened and set in concrete.

1919: Hawley straightened several leaning stones and excavated the whole monument. The guide book says that his work was 'a disaster'.

1958: The trilithon that had fallen in 1797 was re-erected. (Earlier drawings show how it had looked so it could be restored exactly as it was before 1797.)

Compared to work on other ancient monuments around the world this is not major work. I believe that a lot of the Great Wall of China has been rebuilt this century.

IIRC a couple of buried stones have been located at Avebury. (This is a stone circle just to the north of Stonehenge and is so large that the whole of Stonehenge can be fitted into it 2,000 times.) However, English Heritage have refused to allow the stones to be re-erected becuase there is no evidence of how they looked before being buried (probably in the mediaeval period).

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glisp42
I'm Dreaming Of A White iPod

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glisp42   Author's Homepage   E-mail glisp42   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite modest work compared to say Dresden which I believe has been totally rebuilt after the Allies used incendary bombs on it during World War 2. IIRC, there are several projects of that kind around Germany.

--------------------
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK" and other lingo mean?

And we'll collect the moments one by one I guess that's how the future's done. -Feist

Posts: 1641 | From: Kansas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glisp42:
Quite modest work compared to say Dresden which I believe has been totally rebuilt after the Allies used incendary bombs on it during World War 2. IIRC, there are several projects of that kind around Germany.

True, but in the case of Dresden, Warzsaw and other places they knew what the towns looked like to begin with.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And, other than Stonehenge, Dresden (as well as other cities destroyed in WWII) is a city people live in - you can't just keep the ruins.

Having said that, St Nicolai Church in Hamburg was only modestly rebuild to serve as a war memorial after it's destruction in 1944.

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a regular visitor to heritage sites around Europe, I see continuous rebuilding work taking place on cathedrals, ancient city walls, and other such ancient monuments. I'm not surprised to see that modern stone works took place at Stonehenge to make it safer(possible reason?)for the millions of tourists that come to visit.
The megalithic Newgrange in Co. Meath underwent a huge amount of work in the past century to enable visitors to view this ancient monument in safety.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:

Having said that, St Nicolai Church in Hamburg was only modestly rebuild to serve as a war memorial after it's destruction in 1944.

Don't forget the Gedächtniskirche in Berlin.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
IIRC a couple of buried stones have been located at Avebury. (This is a stone circle just to the north of Stonehenge and is so large that the whole of Stonehenge can be fitted into it 2,000 times.) However, English Heritage have refused to allow the stones to be re-erected becuase there is no evidence of how they looked before being buried (probably in the mediaeval period).

Avebury is excellent, probably better than Stonhenge (IMO). Although the stones aren't as large or "arranged" it covers a far greater area.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why all the kerfuffle? Even if it has been rebuilt, they only put things back where they would have been. It even says on that site that fallen lintels were replaced. If nothing was actually moved out of place, then what's their point?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Enrico:

Don't forget the Gedächtniskirche in Berlin.
Or Coventry Cathedral.
Or Hiroshima

Some things should never be rebuilt.

Maudlin topic.

Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
Avebury is excellent, probably better than Stonhenge (IMO). Although the stones aren't as large or "arranged" it covers a far greater area.

I'd like to recommend the Standing Stones of Callanish, Outer Hebrides. Very impressing!
 -

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:

I agree. The fact that you can actually get to touch is great. I used to go early in the morning just to walk around. It was especially good with a light mist.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

The most impressive stone circle I've ever visited is Castlerigg near Keswick in Cumbria.
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to Carhenge.

But I suspect it has been rebuilt in modern times too. [Wink]

--------------------

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was Stonehenge rebuilt in modern times?

Oh, come on! Of course not -just look at it!

[fish]

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Tootsie, isn't that the one the Griswalds reversed into in National Lampoon's European Vacation?!
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope not, Neffti. It's in the Columbia River Gorge here in Washington, near the Maryhill Museum. It's in part a WWI memorial (and I believe it was built by Sam Hill).

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by SeabooMuffinchucker:
I hope not, Neffti. It's in the Columbia River Gorge here in Washington, near the Maryhill Museum. It's in part a WWI memorial (and I believe it was built by Sam Hill).

Seaboe

Hecky thump. If the link had pointed to a memorial reference I wouldn't have been so flippant... Genuinely sorry about that.
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hecky thump. If the link had pointed to a memorial reference I wouldn't have been so flippant... Genuinely sorry about that.

No need to be on my behalf. I was saying "I hope not" because the film you referred to was set in Europe and the one in Tootsie's photo is in the U.S. That's really all I meant. [dunce]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Thanks Seaboe! The thought of a WWI memorial being equated with Chevy Chase reversing over some comedy polystyrene... *shudder* Then again, if it was MY memorial I might appreciate that [Big Grin]
Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to University in Coventry and I have to say the Cathedrals are one on my favourite places. The University is directly opposite (you can see it if you spin around from the starting position) and I often used to just sit in the ruins.

For all the ugly crap they built when rebuilding that City, at least they got one bit right.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought some groceries yesterday, and at the store they hade these great stacks of toilet paper, neatly wrapped in transparent plastic to great towering bales. I was kind of tempted to build a huge TP-henge, but some quick calculations made it clear that it was more expensive than fun.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Did you consider applying for an arts subsidy from the Swedish Ministry of Culture or some European fund? Or do you think that Mrs Stegö Chilò has enough on her hands already?

[Wink]

Don Enrico

--------------------

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages