snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Author cons UK and US publishers with bogus book

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Author cons UK and US publishers with bogus book
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Duckworth's owner Peter Mayer, who also owns the American publishing house Overlook, reputedly paid Rohan Kriwaczek – acting president of the Guild of Funerary Violinists - more than £1,000 for the book: 'An Incomplete History of the Art of the Funerary Violin' which is currently on sale in Britain for £14.99.

Except, as has now been discovered, there is, nor never was, any such thing as a funerary violin, nor a guild, nor a Royal warrant, nor a history, let alone an incomplete one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=408588&in_page_id=1770

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pfft. You crazy brits and your fraudulent books. I guess you just can't trust our neighbors across the pond anymore!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go back to reading A Million Little Pieces.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still haven't finished Clifford Irving's biography of Howard Hughes.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just rebrand the Funerary Violin book as a parody and add lots of photos and footnotes. If spoof travel books sell, I'm sure spoof funerary violin books will sell too.

ETA: I've just sent a "clever hoax" review to Amazon (UK)containing a reference to the Daily Mail article.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost I'm tempted to pre-order it. Almost.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Brown and the other gritty-realism auteurs must be seething with envy. An advance of a thousand pounds, eh? That'll keep him in toot and minge for the rest of his natural. Mind you, he'll have to die Wednesday, but still, rest of his li...

I think it's on the whimsical side of humour rather than the (parodic? parodical?) mickey-taking side. Observe, if you will, this article which goes down to a nicely-illustrated page from the book. Observe how he says
quote:
On completing my advanced diploma at the Royal Academy of Music with considerable honours in the early 1970s, my mind was filled with delusional dreams of becoming a concert soloist.
A diploma in the early 1970s for a boy born in 1968 is going some begob, as grandmamma used to say prior to rinsing her back teeth with a Mackeson.

Observe also the faux-classical style of the frontispiece

-

This is waggishness posing as grandeur.

You might also profitably listen to some of his music by downloading clips at the NPR website (but they open in Realplayer, so you've been warned) or here, at his website.

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 216 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay who borrowed my copy of "Fly Fishing" by JR Hartly then??

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages