snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » "All is forgiven"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "All is forgiven"
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 210 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: When I was in Boston recently, our tour guide pointed out the old
State House where the Declaration of Independence was first publically
read on the balcony. He said that Queen Elizabeth II had come to visit
Boston years back and that she had gone up to that same balcony and
proclaimed to the people below that "All is forgiven!"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank God. I've been up at night worrying about that.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's still that little matter of the church the British burned in South Carolina, stuffed full of women and children. And don't tell me it didn't happen. I mean, Mel Gibson wouldn't lie, would he?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about a balcony in Boston, but I do recall hearing on the news a few years back(10-15, maybe?) that Queen Elizabeth, on behalf of Britain, did indeed officially forgive the United States for the treason it committed long ago. I rather doubt that it was as tritely stated as "All is forgiven" though. I am searching for a cite, but can't find one at present.
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Linden
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linden   Author's Homepage   E-mail Linden   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Would this have something to do with Queen Elizabeth's visit to the US as part of the bicententenary celebrations? She presented a new bell in Philadelphia (her speech is transcribed here -- scroll down a bit: http://mail.architexturez.net/+/Design-L.V1/archive/msg19545.shtml

On the same visit, at a state dinner, the US President and she exchanged suitable speeches http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=6193

I can't find anything to do with Boston or Balconies, or "All is forgiven". This occasion seems to be the nearest in spirit to the sentiment.

--------------------
Yours, &c

Linden

Posts: 190 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found a reference to her speaking from the Old State House balcony during a visit to Boston in 1976, but no record of what was said:

link

ETA: Found a Wikipedia reference (can't post the link, it has parentheses in it, just search Old State House Boston):
quote:
On July 11, 1976, as part of her Boston visit to celebrate the bicentenary of the United States of America, Queen Elizabeth II toured the Old State House and was shown a sample of original tea from the Boston Tea Party of 1773. She appeared on the historic balcony with Prince Philip and delivered an address to a large audience which included the Mayor of Boston and Governor of Massachusetts. She said, in part, "If Paul Revere, Samuel Adams, and other patriots could have known that one day a British monarch would stand on the balcony of the Old State House, from which the Declaration of Independence was first read to the people of Boston, and be greeted in such kind and generous words, well I think they would have been extremely surprised! But perhaps they would also have been pleased to know that eventually we came together again as free peoples and friends to defend together the very ideals for which the American Revolution was fought." The Queen presented a gift of an eagle to the Bostonian Society, which operates the Old State House on behalf of the National Park Service. The Queen also attended a service at Old North Church, had lunch at Boston City Hall, and visited USS Constitution before sailing out of the city on the Royal Yacht HMY Britannia.
Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
There's still that little matter of the church the British burned in South Carolina, stuffed full of women and children. And don't tell me it didn't happen. I mean, Mel Gibson wouldn't lie, would he?

Queen Elizabeth did that? What a psychotic cow.

With that and her testing mind altering drugs on her own subjects. Oh sorry that was your lot wasn't it. [Razz]

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

It's a little known fact that Mel Gibson's dedication to exposing the awful truth about the sinister Brits goes beyond such carefully researched documentaties as The Patriot and Braveheart.

Even in his early, fictional work, Mr Gibson pursued his noble agenda. How many people realise that the character of the Toecutter in Mad Max is a very thinly-disguised expose of the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother? Far too few, IMO. It just shows the insidious reach of the British establishment that only a very small minority of snopesters would recognise her in the Kawasaki Z-1000 riding psychotic gang leader.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
It just shows the insidious reach of the British establishment that only a very small minority of snopesters would recognise her in the Kawasaki Z-1000 riding psychotic gang leader.

Hardly surprising, though, since as far as I'm aware, the Queen Mother only ever rode a Triumph Thunderbird.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VeebleFetzer:
quote:
It just shows the insidious reach of the British establishment that only a very small minority of snopesters would recognise her in the Kawasaki Z-1000 riding psychotic gang leader.

Hardly surprising, though, since as far as I'm aware, the Queen Mother only ever rode a Triumph Thunderbird.
I am reliably informed that she also kept a streetfighter special based on a crashed-and-recovered Suzuki GSX-R750 (bought on ebay for her by the Duke of Gloucester) at Clarence House. And I think we can now guess at the identity of the crazed rider who used to do 200mph night-time runs between Balmoral and Tomintoul on a lime green turbocharged Hayabusa.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 213 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
]I am reliably informed that she also kept a streetfighter special based on a crashed-and-recovered Suzuki GSX-R750 (bought on ebay for her by the Duke of Gloucester) at Clarence House. And I think we can now guess at the identity of the crazed rider who used to do 200mph night-time runs between Balmoral and Tomintoul on a lime green turbocharged Hayabusa.

Well, obviously, I was talking about on state occasions. You can't picture the Queen Mum on a Kawasaki at the Opening of Parliament, can you? The idea's ludicrous.

--------------------

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

quote:
quote:
]I am reliably informed that she also kept a streetfighter special based on a crashed-and-recovered Suzuki GSX-R750 (bought on ebay for her by the Duke of Gloucester) at Clarence House. And I think we can now guess at the identity of the crazed rider who used to do 200mph night-time runs between Balmoral and Tomintoul on a lime green turbocharged Hayabusa.

Well, obviously, I was talking about on state occasions. You can't picture the Queen Mum on a Kawasaki at the Opening of Parliament, can you? The idea's ludicrous.
Oh, sorry, how silly of me [dunce] I realise that Her late Majesty was always very particular about using a British motorcycle to do extended wheelies and stoppies at the Changing of the Guard. Having a modified hooter which played The British Grenadiers as well as the more usual Colonel Bogey was very well received by the troops.

I think this demonstrates how the junior Royals are letting the side down by turning up at minor state occasions on Vespas.

VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 88 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think this demonstrates how the junior Royals are letting the side down by turning up at minor state occasions on Vespas.

I couldn't agree more. I mean, some of their close-formation display work's pretty good, and entertaining enough, in its own way. But when I compare that to Lord Mountbatten leaping 17 Chelsea pensioners at the Prince of Wales's investiture… well, it lacks a certain pomp, that's all I'm saying.

--------------------

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Vespas ?

I thought the Mods were passé.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz

quote:
quote:

I couldn't agree more. I mean, some of their close-formation display work's pretty good, and entertaining enough, in its own way. But when I compare that to Lord Mountbatten leaping 17 Chelsea pensioners at the Prince of Wales's investiture… well, it lacks a certain pomp, that's all I'm saying.
Quite right. I fear they have forgotten the importance of prestige.

George V astride his gold-and-purple Brough Superior (or The Imperial State Motor-Bicycle, to be more exact) brought to mind images of the battleships of the Grand Fleet, and might of Empire. No wonder that the mere recorded sound of him revving his V-twin was enough to quell no less than 27 separate native uprisings.

HM Queen Elizabeth II is said to have persuaded JFK to supply Thor missiles to the UK, simply by racing him round the North Circular on her tuned Vincent Black Lightning. (For the record, JFK was a very creditable three minutes and twenty seconds behind her at the finish, on his Harley Davidson Sportster; Khruschev's attempts to break the Atlantic Alliance failed, like his highly modified Ural 650's driveshaft, at the Hanger Lane Gyratory).

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look, as far as the Queen Mother was concerned, if her hat stayed on throughout the journey to William Hill via Thresher, it was a decent motor.
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages