snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Aztecs Tortured, Ate Spaniards, Bones Show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aztecs Tortured, Ate Spaniards, Bones Show
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Skeletons found at an unearthed site in Mexico show that Aztecs captured, ritually sacrificed, and ate parts of several hundred people traveling with invading Spanish forces in 1520.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/latinamerica/articles/2006/08/24/bones_back_idea_aztecs_retaliated_vs_spanish/

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*uuhuhuhuhuhuh* *shudders*

From the history I have been taught, of both the Aztecs and the Spaniards, none of them were especially nice people. Plenty of brutality to go around.

My cousins lived in Mexico City for several years and they swear their house was haunted by Aztecs. And they were not friendly ghosts either. - I never see ghosts so I can't confirm or deny their story. *shrug*

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Considering the barbarous nature of the Spanish invaders, I don't think they ate half enough of them.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
Considering the barbarous nature of the Spanish invaders, I don't think they ate half enough of them.

How about all the local men women, and children who were traveling with them? You know, the ones kept in cages for 6 months listening to their companions being sacrificed every morning at dawn?

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would prefer to have a fuller account, but unless there is significantly more physical evidence other that bones, ther is no evidence that the prisoners were held for 6 months in cages. I realize that there are probably contemporary spanish accounts of the event, but that could hardly count as impartial evidence
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
My cousins lived in Mexico City for several years and they swear their house was haunted by Aztecs. And they were not friendly ghosts either. - I never see ghosts so I can't confirm or deny their story. *shrug*

Just out of curiosity, what sort of stuff were the Aztec ghosts doing?

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...I need to have my cousins relate all the stories again...this was back in the 60's and it's been at least 20 years since they were retold to me. - I'm sorry that I don't remember most of the details well, but the communications and presences were malevolent and angry, and IIRC the house was built pretty much right on top of where the ancient peoples would have lived.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tacitus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tacitus   E-mail Tacitus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I remember my Archaeology teacher explaining that culture, and their religion often has human sacrifices. If I recall correctly, they were conquerers themselves, having been a nomadic tribe that gained control of the area. Spaniards weren't much of an improvement though.
Posts: 25 | From: Guelph, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed. The Aztecs had a cult for Death, and they believed most of their frightening gods demanded endless quantities of human blood to keep the universe running.

In fact, they waged wars and conquered other nations just for making prisoners they could sacrifice. No wonder many local tribes actually helped the Spaniards in a first time, believing they would free them from their cruel Aztec rulers.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How long will it be before we see traditional Aztec restaurants serving (literally) Spaniards?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
How long will it be before we see traditional Aztec restaurants serving (literally) Spaniards?

And what will PETA have to say about it?

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Unless they are Cocker Spaniards, I don't think PITA will care much.

OH okay, okay. [fish]

--------------------

DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Unless they are Cocker Spaniards, I don't think PITA will care much.

OH okay, okay. [fish]

They were certainly Betty Crockered Spaniards!

[fish]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
How about all the local men women, and children who were traveling with them? You know, the ones kept in cages for 6 months listening to their companions being sacrificed every morning at dawn?

Invaders are invaders, considering how the spanish troops had betrayed their trust, is it any suprise they thought the women and children were equally as bad?
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
quote:

Invaders are invaders, considering how the spanish troops had betrayed their trust, is it any suprise they thought the women and children were equally as bad?
First of all, the "local men, women, and children" weren't invaders.
quote:
The Aztec attack on the caravan apparently succeeded because the travelers were slowed by the many mulatto, mestizo, Maya Indian, and Caribbean men and women given to the Spanish as carriers and cooks when they landed in Mexico in 1519.
In adddition, I was replying to Sceptic's remark that the Spaniards had deserved to be eaten. I was pointing out that the Aztecs had also been very cruel to the innocent slaves/servants who were with them.

You won't find me defending the actions of the Conquistadors, by any means, and they were indeed the invaders. But the Aztecs were not exactly a peace loving group unfamiliar with violence until foreigners came along and introduced them to it.

Neither group is one I would like to have been at the mercy of.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You won't find me defending the actions of the Conquistadors, by any means, and they were indeed the invaders. But the Aztecs were not exactly a peace loving group unfamiliar with violence until foreigners came along and introduced them to it.

Indeed, the conquistadores likely would not have succeeded without help of other tribes that had their own reasons for hating the Aztecs.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...In adddition, I was replying to Sceptic's remark that the Spaniards had deserved to be eaten. I was pointing out that the Aztecs had also been very cruel to the innocent slaves/servants who were with them.

Neither group is one I would like to have been at the mercy of. [/QB]

It's interesting to read the Aztec account of the conquest as it is a simpathetic telling of thier own practices while commenting on the horror of what the Spaniards did.

It's very hard for many people to get their minds around the idea that even the idea of barbarism is cultural. There are practices that are perfectly normal in our own culture that people outside our culture may find barbaric.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
[QUOTE].... There are practices that are perfectly normal in our own culture that people outside our culture may find barbaric.

Widely condoned practices? Such as?
Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about sending our children off for hours every day to be educated by a stranger? I do it but stated that way, it sounds rather barbaric, does it not?

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by remigo:
quote:
[QUOTE].... There are practices that are perfectly normal in our own culture that people outside our culture may find barbaric.

Eating beef?

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeesh. It amazes me the brutality that humans are capable of, not just historically, but brutality that still happens nowadays as well. I think it baffles me simply because I honestly don't think that I have that sort of brutality in me. I feel guilty as heck just when I skoosh a bug by accident. I can't imagine ever being capable of causing someone else harm. It always makes me wonder if I'm lacking something that some other humans possess, or if some other humans are lacking something that I possess.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... dunno, watching two guys hit on each other's face with big leather gloves until one gives up or falls down conscienceless, maybe.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, the Ferengi considers it barbaric and indecent to let women wear clothes...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Leaving babies in a cage (crib) for long periods of time.
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Cutting off a piece of a newborn's penis.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages