snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Rare portrait of Mary, Queen of Scots kept in warehouse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rare portrait of Mary, Queen of Scots kept in warehouse
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 210 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A painting that has languished for more than 30 years in the storerooms of the National Portrait Gallery has been identified as a unique 16th-century portrait of Mary, Queen of Scots.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2316248,00.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mary, Queen of Scots, is a rare example of a 'British' person being hated equally by the Scots and the English. However, I am still surprised that there were not more portraits painted of her whilst she was alive.

After her death she was regarded by Catholics as a martyr (she wasn't, just a scheming traitor) so I thought miniatures may have circulated then as 'icons'.

I may be going into London on Sunday and I will look into the National Portrait Gallery to spy it out.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... "scheming traitor" I wouldn't say, just an incredibly vain and clumsy wannabe plagued with a tremendous lack of political intelligence, who made one wrong decision after the other until Elizabeth had no other choice than to kill her.

As she was related to the french House of Guise, it could be a family thing.

And BTW, I thought she was supposed to be one of the great beauties of her times... on that portrait, she looks like my former landlady ! [Eek!]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
... "scheming traitor" I wouldn't say, just an incredibly vain and clumsy wannabe plagued with a tremendous lack of political intelligence, who made one wrong decision after the other until Elizabeth had no other choice than to kill her.

I don't think political intelligence was the only kind she lacked, although I agree with the rest of your analysis.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
Mary, Queen of Scots, is a rare example of a 'British' person being hated equally by the Scots and the English. However, I am still surprised that there were not more portraits painted of her whilst she was alive.

From the article:
quote:
It is the only known painting of her as queen...While in France as a child and as a young woman, Mary was drawn several times by the court artist François Clouet. But from the turbulent period of her life in Scotland, only images on coins and one miniature appeared to have survived.
(emphasis mine)

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:

I think Elizabeth was keenly waiting for an excuse to kill her, and when Mary's plot was uncovered through the use of spies and crypanalists, her fate was sealed.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my reading Elizabeth was always highly reluctant to have her killed as she feared Scottish repercussions, but finally came to realise that she probably really didn't have any other option.

Mary may have been politically inept and vain etc., but she was also incredibly charming and had the uncanny ability to wrap just about everyone around her little finger - just one of the reasons Elizabthe refused to ever meet her.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
From my reading Elizabeth was always highly reluctant to have her killed as she feared Scottish repercussions, but finally came to realise that she probably really didn't have any other option.

My professor subscribed to the opinion that Elizabeth didn't want anyone to get the idea that she thought killing royalty was ever a Good Idea, which is why she put up with so much from Mary and her fans.

I never have understood the Poor, Poor Mary groupies.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was rumoured shortly after Mary was executed that Elizabeth claimed that she was tricked into signing Mary's death warrent and that she tried to revoke it. (Of course, this may be an early example of spin.)

I agree with Seaboe about Mary sympathisers. A lot of Scottish people today regard Mary as a heroine, yet she was hated by Scottish people at the time and they would have executed her had she not run away to England. Elizabeth 'protected' her for seventeen years, before having little option but to strike.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages