snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Attempted poisoning of George Washington

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attempted poisoning of George Washington
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: did a cook think tomatoes were poison and put one in a dish for
george washington and then the cook committed suicide before washington
could "die"?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#Early_history

According to the article, people were pretty well aware that tomatoes weren't poisonous by the mid-1500s. Which is, like, 10 years before Washington chopped down a cherry tree and then said he did not have sexual relations with it (I might be getting my Presidential stories mixed up here). I'm going to go out on a limb and say "false" unless the cook was trying to whip up a really, really spicy guacamole and make General Washington die of heartburn.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato#Early_history

According to the article, people were pretty well aware that tomatoes weren't poisonous by the mid-1500s. Which is, like, 10 years before Washington chopped down a cherry tree and then said he did not have sexual relations with it (I might be getting my Presidential stories mixed up here). I'm going to go out on a limb and say "false" unless the cook was trying to whip up a really, really spicy guacamole and make General Washington die of heartburn.

I don't know if the story in the OP is true, but according to your article: "By the mid-18th century they were cultivated on some Carolina plantations, and probably in other parts of the South as well. It is possible that some people continued to think tomatoes were poisonous at this time, and in general they were grown more as ornamental plants than as food. Cultured people like Thomas Jefferson, who ate tomatoes in Paris and sent some seeds home, knew the tomato was edible, but many of the less well-educated did not."
Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not completely convinced that uncooked tomatoes are not poisonous. [Razz]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Potato, the only edible vegetable.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I beleive that tomatoes are related to nightshade and that is why it was once thought that they were poisonous. Also, IIRC, the leaves are poisonous.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This stems from a story originally published in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine years and years ago, probably the 1960s or even earlier; in form, it is the confession of the cook, who writes that he is moved by loyalty to England to put an end to the life of this rebel, and therefore he has put a poisonous "love apple" into Washington's ragatouille (or whatever). The story ends as the cook writes, "But I shall not be hanged ignominiously. No! I shall now take my own life, but not by poison. A cook must know how to use a knife...."

A postscript identifies the love apple as a tomato. The story is fiction, of course. I probably could even do a little research and find the author and title.

Brad "but I am already in my pajamas...." from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was potatoes that were related to the nightshade family...
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
I thought it was potatoes that were related to the nightshade family...

Potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, the list is actually quite long.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages