snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Lincoln, Executive Orders, and Martial Law

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lincoln, Executive Orders, and Martial Law
osakadave
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for osakadave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From another forum:

quote:
Has anyone ever heard of an Executive Order #2 supposedly signed by Abraham Lincoln and supposedly giving him martial law and supposedly renewed by every US president ever since?
I do know that the numbering of US Presidential Executive Orders weren't numbered until 1900, but they were retroactive back to 1862, so Lincoln would have issuesd #2. I've been looking and can't seem to find the text for it. Anybody?

--------------------
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful -- just stupid.)
Lazarus Long
http://www.scoutingforall.org/

Posts: 80 | From: Sakai City, Osaka-Fu, Japan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/executive_orders.php?year=1862
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
osakadave
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for osakadave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent. I had looked at that site and simply missed the notation of EO #1.

--------------------
Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful -- just stupid.)
Lazarus Long
http://www.scoutingforall.org/

Posts: 80 | From: Sakai City, Osaka-Fu, Japan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Has anyone ever heard of an Executive Order #2 supposedly signed by Abraham Lincoln and supposedly giving him martial law and supposedly renewed by every US president ever since?
If the U.S. has really been under martial law since the mid-19th century, and the only evidence of it is a 144-year-old executive order, then I'd have to say martial law doesn't seem to be all that bad.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
educatedindian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for educatedindian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A little bit related: Confederate apologists like to bring up Lincoln's use of martial law. The Confederacy was under martial for more than a third of its existence. The CSA had over 4000 political prisoners. Abolitionists writings and speakers were banned almost from colonial times. And the CSA Secret Service used assassinations, bombings, and even tried to use germ warfare against the Union. So much for being "less tyranical."
Posts: 69 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages