snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » da Vinci painting or not, "Mona Lisa" look-alike draws interest (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: da Vinci painting or not, "Mona Lisa" look-alike draws interest
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the painting an authentic da Vinci? Or is it a copy?

The answer may never be known about a work called "La Gioconda" that now hangs in the Portland Museum of Art. The painting, which bears a striking resemblance to Leonardo da Vinci's famous "Mona Lisa," was put on display the day before "The Da Vinci Code" movie began showing at theaters.

Article here

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I, for one, do not believe this painting is even from the same century as da Vinci. If it were, the museum would have released the results of whatever scientific tests they'd done and somebody would be making big bucks on this painting, one way or another. They keep away in storage because they are well aware -- as, I'm guessing, anyone who knows anything about the art of the period would be after taking one look -- that this painting was not even made during da Vinci's lifetime.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I rfemember going round a stately home in England (sorry, I can't remember which) and they claimed to have a version of the 'Mona Lisa' or 'La Gioconda'. The painting was not as accomplished as the 'real' Mona Lisa (not that I have seen the original). The guide book said that da Vinci painted several versions of the painting and the house, of course, claimed that theirs was the original. (I will do a bit of research and see if I can discover the house.)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Bears a striking resemblence..." [Roll Eyes] Why don't they just come out and say it? It's nothing more than a bad copy. It kind of irks me that a museum with some credibility to lose would stoop so low.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the article the painting was made "before 1510". While it could be a copy it could also be a preparatory study. Students were taught to copy a master’s work.

If it is a modern copy they could have used a period panel but it's a lot harder to fake craquelure. Plus the Harvard art conservation lab is very prestigious. I doubt they’d let their name be attached to something they knew to be a fake.

While they might be getting record crowds this year there just isn’t that much to be made off of a painting that famous.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a common practice a couple of hundred years ago for owners of stately homes to fill them with copies of masterpieces, because, after all, there is just a limited number of originals around and they also tend to be quite costly.

ETA [nitpick] and BTW da Vinci is not a name [/nitpick]

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

I don't think it is a modern copy. But I still find it very hard to believe that date. I sure would like to see the results of their tests.
Ganzfeld

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
[nitpick] and BTW da Vinci is not a name [/nitpick]

It is now.
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
[nitpick] and BTW da Vinci is not a name [/nitpick]

It is now.
It is not now and has never been unless among the ignorants.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

How about Goya? That's not a name either?
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a name. What's your problem?

--------------------

Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By modern standards the Mona Lisa is tiny, and is displayed in a corridor. I believe that in the past artist were allowed to set up easels n a much larger foom and copy the painting but now it is supposed to be seen as you walk past.
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft:
By modern standards the Mona Lisa is tiny, and is displayed in a corridor.

Tiny yes, but not in a corridor. It's in a side room to the Long Gallery, the bottow wing on the floor plan on this site, connecting it with another gallery (the room directly beneath the pyramid).

--------------------

mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Bears a striking resemblence..." [Roll Eyes] Why don't they just come out and say it? It's nothing more than a bad copy. It kind of irks me that a museum with some credibility to lose would stoop so low.

I agree, bad copy, and I have seen the original. This fake resembles what many people imagine the Mona Lisa to look like before they actually see it. The Mona Lisa is clearly produced by an expert, and is quite small. That thing is oversize and ugly. No question Leonardo's hand had nothing to do with its production.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

'El Greco' as well, I believe.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew of Ware, England:
quote:

'El Greco' as well, I believe.
Not as well. Goya's full name was Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes, which makes me wonder how anyone can think it's an attribute like da Vinci. Domenikos Theotocopoulos is known as el Greco simply because he was a Greek who lived and worked in Spain. He also signed his paintings that way, so you can just call it his pseudonym or whatever.

--------------------

Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Call me one of the ignorants [Razz] , but doesn't "da Vinci" just mean "from Vinci", and if this isn't a name then neither is The Duke of Wellington, Simon de Montfort, George Washington etc.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
Call me one of the ignorants [Razz] , but doesn't "da Vinci" just mean "from Vinci", and if this isn't a name then neither is The Duke of Wellington, Simon de Montfort, George Washington etc.

The Duke of Wellington is a title, Simon de Montfort and George Washington are names. What else could they be?

--------------------

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nobody refers to the Duke of Wellington as "of Wellington". That is the equivalent of referring to the artist as "da Vinci".

Why are you including George Washington? Do you believe he came from a place called Washington?

As far as the article's concerned, the painting does not just "bear a striking resemblance", it's a copy, probably painted by a student.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Duke of Wellington is often referred to as just Wellington, so I suppose in that instance it would be like referring to "Vinci".

In the case of George Washington, his ancestors came from a place called Washington, my point being that there are surnames which come from where a person or their family originates.

Also, Leonardo's sculptor nephew was known as Pierino da Vinci.

--------------------

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

quote:
The Duke of Wellington is often referred to as just Wellington, so I suppose in that instance it would be like referring to "Vinci".

To distinguish him from [the Duke of] Walla-walla and other dukes. It's still not a name.
quote:

In the case of George Washington, his ancestors came from a place called Washington, my point being that there are surnames which come from where a person or their family originates.

True, but that has nothing to do with Lionardo. There's a difference between assuming something as a family name and call yourself (or be called) something just to make sure you're not confused with someone else with the same name.
quote:

Also, Leonardo's sculptor nephew was known as Pierino da Vinci.

He also came from the the town of Vinci.

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How often did a former president of France get referred to as "de Gaulle" and how is that any different than "de Vinci"?

Location names are often used as surnames. My own surname is related to the town my ancestors came from. But it is not wrong to refer to someone using their last name when you want to use shorthand. If someone said "Leonardo", they could be talking about either the star of the Howard Hughes movie or the Renissance artist. By saying "de Vinci", we know who they are talking about.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

Interestingly, "de Gaulle" is believed to come from the German "De Walle", so his name means Charles the Wall rather than Charles of France.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the other Leonardo's surname is "Di Caprio" - does that mean "of Capri"...?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur

According to this site, Di Caprio comes from the Italian word capra, which means goat.

ETA: and I think Da Vinci DiCaprio sounds much better anyway. [lol]

--------------------

Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now you've me curious whether the family of rockers Eddie and Alex originated in a place named Halen.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

A name is not only something one gives oneself or something one is given by ones parents but also that word by which others may identify you. Therefore, there are many places and people whose names were not originally intended to be names but which have become names. Da Vinci is just one example of many.

Since the concept of a surname was not really even around at the time, what do we have to lose by using what has become accepted as his surname as a surname? Nothing. It has become his name. It is his name now (in English): Leonardo da Vinci. That's what we call him.

Confucius wasn't named "Confucius". Christ wasn't named "Christ". The Buddha wasn't named "Buddha". But these are names now, whether or not they were during their lifetimes.

Da Vinci is a name. Get over it.

Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does sort of look like one of Leonardo's unfinished paintings (such as the St. Jerome in the Vatican), with the sepia-tone underpainting, but the blue sky is a bit odd to me. I think it is more likely that it is a student copy or study because I find it unlikely that Leo would leave a version of the painting undone and start another, and I doubt it was a preparatory study as those were typically done on paper, I think.

I would be interested to know whether the painting is on canvas or wood--the original is on panel.

Also, I seem to recall reading that Leo did paint another version of the Mona Lisa, but it was nude. No cite, just something I vaguely remember from an art history text.

I, too, have seen the original, but I didn't get very close to it due to the huge crowd surrounding the painting. There are little signs that actually point the way to the Mona Lisa. Yes, it is famous, but, um, it's the Louvre...there are just a few other things to look at.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Portland Museum's page on the painting and a better view of the painting. The museum thinks it's a study. I think it could be a basic drawing by the master which a student used for practice (which would explain the odd blue sky).

I can't really tell for sure, but edges of the columns appear to be present.

A few copies of the Mona Lisa (none with columns).

A page mentioning the nude "Mona Lisa", along with a photo of a copy.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariadne:
I, too, have seen the original, but I didn't get very close to it due to the huge crowd surrounding the painting. There are little signs that actually point the way to the Mona Lisa. Yes, it is famous, but, um, it's the Louvre...there are just a few other things to look at.

Me, too. However, at the time I was 14 and not as appreciative of art as I am now, so seeing the painting in person didn't help me understand what the fuss was about. My main memories are of the huge crowd and people being yelled at for not turning off their camera flash.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:
Portland Museum's page on the painting and a better view of the painting. The museum thinks it's a study. I think it could be a basic drawing by the master which a student used for practice (which would explain the odd blue sky).

I can't really tell for sure, but edges of the columns appear to be present.

A few copies of the Mona Lisa (none with columns).

A page mentioning the nude "Mona Lisa", along with a photo of a copy.

Thank you for mentioning the columns...I had forgotten about them. If this is a study or an early copy, why aren't the columns on the sides more visible? Seems very odd that an early copy or preliminary study would be cropped in the same way that the Mona Lisa has been.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC, the Mona Lisa, the one in the Louvre, doesn't have columns because once when it was stolen, it was cut out of its frame, and the columns cut off. That suggests that at least the painting in question-- the copy-- was made before the Louvre painting was cut.

IMHO, the copy doesn't look unfinished as much as it looks faded.

And FTR, I have seen the painting in the Louvre, but didn't really study it-- as someone said, there were many other things to look at. In fact, when I went into the Mona Lisa room, I wasn't even looking for the Mona Lisa, I was looking for the Raphaels that were in the same room.

And no, his name is not "da Vinci."

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:

Neither, for that matter, was Billy the Kid's name Billy or Kid. But now his name is Billy the Kid.
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:
IIRC, the Mona Lisa, the one in the Louvre, doesn't have columns because once when it was stolen, it was cut out of its frame, and the columns cut off. That suggests that at least the painting in question-- the copy-- was made before the Louvre painting was cut.

IMHO, the copy doesn't look unfinished as much as it looks faded.

And FTR, I have seen the painting in the Louvre, but didn't really study it-- as someone said, there were many other things to look at. In fact, when I went into the Mona Lisa room, I wasn't even looking for the Mona Lisa, I was looking for the Raphaels that were in the same room.

Nah, I think it's unfinished. Look at the background. Leonardo was all about putting his subjects in pastoral settings that reflected the virtue of the person. In this version, there's very little of that detail. Whether that's because it was a study done by a student who was more interested in the subject herself or because da Vinci just hadn't completed the painting is a guess I'll leave for someone else. I don't think it's merely faded.

As for the "nude Mona Lisa", um... it looks like a nude, and maybe it was even made by Leonardo, but it doesn't look like the Mona Lisa to me. Leonardo and other Renaissance painters made a living on the side making portraits for local nobility. The fact that it's a woman who's kinda-sorta posed the same way isn't enough for me to call it the "nude Mona Lisa", I'm sorry.

Oh yeah, one more thing: da Vinci. Da Vinci da Vinci da Vinci. Da Vinci da Vinci da Vinci da Vinci da Vinci da Vinci. And furthermore, da Vinci.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Norton II
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norton II   E-mail Norton II       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In regards to Wellington and other members of the nobility, it is and was common to refer to them by their titles. I doubt many people know who Richard Neville (1428-1471) was. He was the Earl of Warwick and is usually called Warwick the Kingmaker.

--------------------
Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico

Posts: 287 | From: Mystic, CT | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages