snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » History » Baby Killing (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Baby Killing
wendelenn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendelenn   E-mail wendelenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by franjava:
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: The Masquerade:
You can breastfeed without having been pregnant or on meds, though.

It's amazing that this "secret" is kept from women, isn't it? Sometimes you might have to supplement with formula, but if you have a good sucking infant or decent pump, you can get a good flow going. I wonder how many adoptive mothers would love to have done this except for not knowing! It's a good way for them to feel like it's "their" baby.

Posts: 6 | From: Clovis, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wendelenn
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendelenn   E-mail wendelenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies. My first post ever and I messed it up!

My post is in response to "It's a good way for them to feel like it's 'their' baby."

I know what you mean, franjava. You mean, for them to feel like it's their BIOLOGICAL child; to feel . But as an adoptive mom, I just want to say I have a real problem with the phrase "their baby":

My son is MY BABY. Mine. Period. No ifs, ands, or doubts about it. He's mine.

(And no, unfortunately, I didn't get to nurse him, since he was six weeks old and already on the bottle by the time he came to us.

Posts: 6 | From: Clovis, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just happened across a nifty bit of information in the Dictionary of the Middle Ages. (It's much more scholarly than one might suspect for something called a dictionary. The bibliography is excellent.) In regards to wet nurses
"There were some medical debates about the virtues of the mother's milk vs that of a wet nurse since the physiology of milk production suggested that the woman nursing was bound to have an effect on the child. Yet maternal milk was not seen as inherently better: both Italian writers and the author of the Middle English Knowing of Woman's Kind argued that the milk of the newly birthed mother (what we now call the colostrum) was not good for the child."
Further down in talking about research done in 14th and 15th century Florence it says "the best nurses were thos whose own children had died or had been given up to another, cheaper nurse or even a foundling hospital to make for a "more worthy" child from a wealthy family."
Ok, so this isn't Tudor and Stuart England but facinating. It is hard to imagine a woman deliberately dumping her own child to be paid to nurse rich person's kid.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been pregnant, but I've produced milk-like secretions due to repeated nipple stimulation in BDSM play. It worried my partner so we stopped, but had we continued I would most likely have lactated (inducing a partner to lactate this way is a fetish for some people).

I remember reading about adoptive mothers triggering lactation in one of the quality newspapers (the Guardian probably) about 15 years ago - it was written by an adoptive mother and was one of those articles that sticks in the mind!

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so freaking jealous. I tried everything and you lactate while playing.

grumble grumble grumble [Smile]

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember reading a story set in the middle ages, which had this theme, however the wet nurse was chosen as a wetnurse because she gave birth around the same time as the queen, and she was just a servant who got "promoted" to wet nurse because she had a baby on the boob at the same time as the queen's child. they didn't kill the baby, and the two kids grew up akin to brothers. this is more believable than forcing someone to have children and killing them off.

that being said yes some women lactate more freely than others, but some have more difficulty. whether it's after pregnancy or not. heck some women lactate freely without ever having a child. just through stimulation and continue for a long period of time. (after watching my wife get ready for baby i'd have to say that'd hurt....)

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
It is hard to imagine a woman deliberately dumping her own child to be paid to nurse rich person's kid.

Well, if forgoing the wetnursing gig meant you wouldn't be able to feed yourself, or your other kids. . . .

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that murder was just as illegal in Tudor times as it is today.

Unless the newborn baby was guilty of high treason, obviously.

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Oh boy. Everything you want to know about Infanticide in England. The part of Tudor and Stuart England start about page 11.

Damme C. Infanticide: the worth of an infant under law. Med Hist. 1978 Jan;22(1):1-24.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1082157

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages