snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Sobering Up and How

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sobering Up and How
Miss Rosa
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Rosa         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a lot of ULs about how to prevent getting drunk (eating butter before you go out, taking Vitamin E or B, etc.) but what are some you believe are true about how to sober up?

For starters, here's one from my college years: If you are really staggering drunk, if you pee you sober up.

I've noticed that does work, but I don't know why. Anybody know?

Posts: 30 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only one that I have ever really see work is the IV in the arm + Catheter in the urethra flushing method. I don't recommend it, since the catheter is not a pleasant experience.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 96 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 - This one is just too easy:
Don't get drunk in the first place.  -

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been told by various medical and law enforcement people that the only thing that really works is time.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say that time and lots of fluids non-alcoholic fluids like Gatorade anything to keep you hydrated because alcohol dehydrates you from my experiences.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
I've always been told by various medical and law enforcement people that the only thing that really works is time.

That would be correct. Alcohol --> acetaldehyde --> acetic acid, in its own time frame. Enzymes get overloaded, and its rate maxes out.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Rosa:
but what are some you believe are true about how to sober up?

Some we believe to be true or just some we've heard? I don't really believe anything but time and re-hydration can sober you up.

quote:
For starters, here's one from my college years: If you are really staggering drunk, if you pee you sober up.

I've noticed that does work, but I don't know why. Anybody know?

Peeing once when you are really drunk will not sober you up. Peeing often will empty your bladder and kidneys of metabolized alcohol, though.

Things that make me feel more sober (although I would not attempt to drive until hours and hours had passed since my last drink): eating, drinking coffee, drinking lots of water or Gatorade, throwing up, moving around a lot.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rehydration only helps prevent some "hangover" feelings, as dehydration combined with the acidic metabolytes (see Casey's post- ya' make me proud, kid [Wink] ) produce said feelings, along with the disordered sleep (even if one sleeps for many hours drunk, the sleep does not achieve the same amount of the stages needed to feel refreshed).

As for being "drunk", i.e. impaired because of the alcohol itself, time is all that will help.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tacos from El Famous Burrito work for me. But, just like ThisleS, I still won't drive even though I feel sober.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a party once, and started feeling nauseated from having drunk to much. One of the other women at the party was in training to be an acupuncturist, and she put a needle in each of my wrists, and I think a couple in my belly. It did clear up my nausea, but also killed my buzz.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages