snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Tattoos are bad for your blood...wait, what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tattoos are bad for your blood...wait, what?
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had this "fact" quoted at me with no cite or evidence. Was just curious if there is any shred of truth to it and if not where the rumor comes from?

ETA: Woops, thanks for moving this. I posted it then though "Wait, shouldn't that go in the UL section?" Sorry, I so rarely get to make a post that actually belongs in this section that I forgot it existed. [Razz]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have several tatts and have not suffered any ill effects. I have several tatts and have not suffered any ill effects. I have several tatts and have not suffered any ill effects. I have several tatts and have not suffered any ill effects.

I'll get it.... [fish]

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I think it depends on the person, the inks being used, the sterility of the instruments, etc. People can be allergic to the inks and/or can develop an infection which can become systemic which is sometimes called "blood poisoning."

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or they can give you Hepatitis B or C if the needle's not sterilized, because they're spread by contact with infected blood. They also can be spread through sex, intravenous drug use, and blood transfusions.
How can something be "bad for your blood"? Blood isn't an organ.

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This might have stemmed from the fact that people who have had a tattoo are not allowed to donate blood within a year of the tattoo. The implication that if you aren't allowed to donate your blood, it has somehow been made "bad" by the tattoo. When in fact the reason you can't donate is because of the risk of disease transmission (especially hepatitis transmission).
Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also might be due to the fact that a lot of tatoo ink can be lead based. That's the reason why many doctors are nervous about giving women with so called "tramp stamps" epidurals. Some of them are too afraid that the ink will leak and cause problems. Then again, some doctors don't worry about it at all.

As for a cite on this, all this is according to my anatomy professor.

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tattoos and epidurals have been discussed here about a zillion times. And, you can't make a serious point *and* use the term "tramp stamp" in the same post. :Cringe:

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ana Ng:
And, you can't make a serious point *and* use the term "tramp stamp" in the same post.

Hey, I'm pretty sure "tramp stamp" is a medically accepted definition.

Seriously though, why not? Everyone knows what the phrase is referring to. Although "lower back tattoo" probably works just as well.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
happyholidaysfrog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyholidaysfrog   Author's Homepage   E-mail happyholidaysfrog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother went into anaphylactic shock after he got his first (and last!) tattoo, he was rushed to the ER when he started swelling badly. A cousin who was there said he was swollen up like the Michelin Man.

But that doesn't have anything to do with "bad for the blood" though.

He calls it his four thousand dollar tattoo.

--------------------
~All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream~
E.A.Poe

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
~James Dean~

Posts: 516 | From: Anderson, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by El Camino:
Seriously though, why not? Everyone knows what the phrase is referring to. Although "lower back tattoo" probably works just as well.

Firstly, because it's disrespectful in general... but mainly because the puerility of the descriptive term would make me doubt the veracity of the claim if I didn't already know it to be false.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
And, you can't make a serious point *and* use the term "tramp stamp" in the same post.

I didn't until 'lower back tattoo' was mentioned. Is it an American term?

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pikey Snow Queen:
quote:
quote:

I didn't until 'lower back tattoo' was mentioned. Is it an American term?
It's a derogatory term used by some Americans. I doubt that it is generally known much less used by all members of the medical community. I've also heard the term 'whore tag' which is even more derogatory.

Regardless, I agree with Ana, using such a term doesn't exactly bolster one's point.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the assessment that the use of "tramp stamp" doesn't help me to believe any points made by said poster.

As for the possibilities caused by unclean needles and lack of proper sterilization, yeah, I was well aware of those. It was the idea that a tattoo from a sterile environment using a sterile needle and taking all the appropriate safety measures could somehow be "bad for the blood."

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sabrina_Fairchild:
It also might be due to the fact that a lot of tatoo ink can be lead based. That's the reason why many doctors are nervous about giving women with so called "tramp stamps" epidurals. Some of them are too afraid that the ink will leak and cause problems. Then again, some doctors don't worry about it at all.

As for a cite on this, all this is according to my anatomy professor.

Tattoo ink is not lead based. Some colors may contain the heavy metal cadmium, and some green mixtures contain lead, but it's a gross overstatement to say that tattoo ink is all lead based. I got my information from BME .

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Firstly, because it's disrespectful in general... but mainly because the puerility of the descriptive term would make me doubt the veracity of the claim if I didn't already know it to be false.
I mean, come on. Everyone knows the polite term for such tattoos is "ass antlers".

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother believes this also. However, she is also one who is afraid of buying apples imported from Africa because she thinks they could carry AIDS.

Diana

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is slightly off topic, but are there any risks to non permanent tattoos--i.e., those done with henna? When I googled, I found a few pages on higher risks of dermatitis...is there any truth to the matter?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: tattoos and epidurals. I did ask about that in my labor class, and the instructor said that the latest information suggested that one shouldn't get an epidural if there was a back tattoo within 60 days. Which goes into the thread posted above--it's not generally a good idea to get inked or pierced during pregnancy.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have three tatts, and my blood is JUST FINE! It's the same green as everyone else's!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what can happen is homemade or prison tattoos can cause insane amounts of pain under an MRI. I saw it on House, can anyone verify it?

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spooky, I believe that's addressed in the thread Ana linked as well. If I recall correctly, tattoos done with pigments containing iron or other metals can cause inflammation during an MRI. So it depends more on where the ink came from than where the tattoo was done. Prison and homemade tattoos are more likely to have non-standard pigments, such as ball point pen ink or carbon from burning something.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky Cactus:
I think what can happen is homemade or prison tattoos can cause insane amounts of pain under an MRI. I saw it on House, can anyone verify it?

Mythbusters did a segment on it during season 2. The tv.com page about it is here . But they didn't use homemade tattoos, just forced one of their poor "mythbusters", Scottie, to get an MRI. Her professionally-done tattoos did not react with the MRI. IIRC, they also mixed up some home-made inks. The one with high amounts of iron did react strongly but only in the container. When they tattooed a slab of pork and MRI'd it, they got no reaction.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
This is slightly off topic, but are there any risks to non permanent tattoos--i.e., those done with henna? When I googled, I found a few pages on higher risks of dermatitis...is there any truth to the matter?

Some rather unscrupulous places put black dye in the henna to make "black henna". This can cause some pretty serious reactions and I have seen a picture of a girl with the design burned onto her skin after having one done.

Site
quote:
Allergic reactions to natural henna are rare. The onset of a reaction to natural henna occurs within a few hours, symptoms being itching, shortness of breath, and/or tightness in the chest. Some people have an allergic reaction to an essential oil used to "terp" the mix, and some are allergic to lemon juice often used to mix henna.
quote:
"Black henna" is the name given to an artificial product created by the addition of paraphenylenediamine (PPD) to natural henna to create a black stain. PPD is traditionally used in black hair dye but is a sensitizer, which means that it is something that the body is naturally allergic to or can become allergic to. Black henna can cause severe reactions that can take from 515 days to appear, which can cause permanent scarring and may even be life threatening. Reactions to black henna frequently necessitate immediate medical attention from a doctor or allergist.
ETA: Here are a couple of nasty pictures to prove my point about black henna.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

The results can be worse, this girl had a very nasty experience.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Pikey. Scary. How do you know if the place is unscrupulous? I mean...if you see that they're using black dye, is that enough to know that you should go elswhere? Is it enough to ask?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I've heard is that you should avoid black henna in general. I don't know if there is a way to make safe black henna, but I figure it easy to just not take the risk.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tattoos and epidurals have been discussed here about a zillion times. And, you can't make a serious point *and* use the term "tramp stamp" in the same post. :Cringe:

Okay, I see your point. I should have probably avoided that particular term, but I had a blonde moment at the time.

Allow me [fish]

That's what my anatomy professor called it. Next time, I shall think twice before using it.

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a tattoo AND I recently had an MRI in the general area and had NO problems at all.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
I have a tattoo AND I recently had an MRI in the general area and had NO problems at all.

The question was specifically about homemade or prison-made tattoos.

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Thanks, Pikey. Scary. How do you know if the place is unscrupulous? I mean...if you see that they're using black dye, is that enough to know that you should go elswhere? Is it enough to ask?

Definitely ask what they are using. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere that uses black henna. There are a lot of places that are legit and wouldn't dream of using the stuff, I imagine they would me more than happy to show you what ingredients they use.

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages