snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » 12 year old survives internal decapitation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 12 year old survives internal decapitation
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A 12 year old boy survived an internal decapitation – is this sheer luck or a result of advancing techniques concerning occipital-cervical surgery?
quote:
Mr Stewart said: "The doctors had never seen this kind of injury because, they said, when it happens, people die instantly.
"Apparently, only six people are known to have ever survived this and my son is the only one to have recovered [this well]."
Chris underwent a six hour operation, known as a occipital-cervical fusion, which re-attached his head to his top vertebrae with metal plates and bone-grafts.
He has since made a miraculous recovery and can now swim, walk and exercise again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/6217036.stm

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Miraculous, certainly. Very, very happy news, but I cannot help but wonder what an eleven-year-old child was doing racing cars?

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My niece and nephew were racing cars at around 8 or 9. They weren't street cars though, there were the very flat go-kart type cars. The had full safety equipment like Nomex suits, full face helmets and neck restraints though.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like sheer luck - the reason the doctors hadn't seen the injury on a live patient before is that usually people die from it immediately!

Having said that, I bet he would have died anyway without some pretty decent medical work.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Miracle of God or of modern medicine? I'm having trouble deciding. [Eek!]

Either way, that boy has to be the luckiest kid on the face of the earth right now.

I have a feeling that we're gonna see a glurge about this in a few months.

- Pseudo "don't lose your head" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
My niece and nephew were racing cars at around 8 or 9. They weren't street cars though, there were the very flat go-kart type cars. The had full safety equipment like Nomex suits, full face helmets and neck restraints though.

According to the article, the boy was driving a Mini, an actual car. I don't know much about car racing, and even less about children, so I suppose that's why it seems so shocking to me.

--------------------

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Miracle of God or of modern medicine? I'm having trouble deciding. [Eek!]

Well, modern medicine had a lot to do with his long-term survival - quite possibly he would have died anyway a few years ago - but it's hard to say whether "techniques have advanced" for this specific injury because as they said, they've never seen it on a live patient before.

So both, I suppose.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some would say it is a miracle of God because God gave the medical professionals the knowledge and the ability to perform the surgery.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the medical professionals that spent many long years in school and hundreds of hours perfecting techniques and skills might object to "gave".

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw another young boy that this happened to on some sort of "medical marvels" show about a year ago. That boy had been hit by a car I believe. He lived, but didn't recover as well as the boy in the article, the update showed him still struggling to walk I believe. I wonder if being young has some factor in helping to recover from such an injury?

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Suprisingly, no one thinks that it's a miracle that God forgot to give the parents some common sense.

Or, maybe, God made that accident happen so he could test the surgeons

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, he said, although Chris is expected to make a near to full recovery he would not be returning to the car racing track anytime soon.
Now there's an understatement!

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sabrina_Fairchild
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabrina_Fairchild   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sabrina_Fairchild   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They had a similar case on "Medical Incredible" on Discovery Health. Basically, they did the same thing. I think this is the show Syllavus is referring to.

--------------------
As heard on "Street Smarts":
Q: Chicago has 2 professional baseball teams. The Cubs and....what is the other one? Hint: It's something you probably don't wear a lot.

Girl: Underwear?

Posts: 178 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you, nurple. Especially the part where the parents were "watching the race"? And their 11-year-old son was driving a Mini at about 40 mph? Wow.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sabrina_Fairchild:
They had a similar case on "Medical Incredible" on Discovery Health. Basically, they did the same thing. I think this is the show Syllavus is referring to.

I saw a show with this type of case, too. We may all have seen the same show.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw it too. The show stated that it was lucky that the boy (young teenager, I believe), had a good crew.

I want to say that it was Medical Incredible.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's with all the shock and horror about the fact he was racing a car? 8 or 9 is about the age that the vast majority of the top drivers started. He was at an organised meeting in Alton in a racing mini with full restraints and a crash helmet.

I think the critique of the parents' judgement in this case is uncalled for and wrong.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
What's with all the shock and horror about the fact he was racing a car? 8 or 9 is about the age that the vast majority of the top drivers started. He was at an organised meeting in Alton in a racing mini with full restraints and a crash helmet.

I think the critique of the parents' judgement in this case is uncalled for and wrong.

I disagree. Just because it's common amongst the racing community doesn't mean it's wise for the parents to allow it. If the vast majority of top drivers start racing at 8 or 9, all that says to me is that there are a lot of parents who have poor judgement. Just my opinion.

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The vast majority of children racing cars aren't ever injured though.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

True, but that doesn't stop me from questioning their judgement, though.
But...like I said earlier, I know very little about car racing and even less about children. I doubt those parents care that I think they are being foolish.

--------------------

Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nurple:

But...like I said earlier, I know very little about car racing and even less about children. I doubt those parents care that I think they are being foolish.

Whether the parents care or not doesn't absolve you from forming a considered opinion.

I can understand your reaction to the story, but sticking by it even after acknowledging your ignorance of both motorsport and parenting displays a slightly distasteful prejudice.

On that basis it absolutely stops you from questioning their judgement as you have no basis on which to judge them.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hans Off, I was basing my opinion on a quick search for '1000c mini' that brought up a short list of sites featuring cars that are not manufactured specifically for underaged drivers, not modified for children who have not reached full growth. If I am mistaken, and the cars used at this racetrack are modified, I withdraw my criticism of the parents. Otherwise, I'm still with Nurple.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Nurple, too. When my daughter is eighteen and tells me she wants to be a stunt woman, that's fine. Until then, it is my job to keep her healthy and in one piece.

P.S. DD already tells me she wants to be a firefighter when she grows up. Just like Mama! [Big Grin] I'm still not letting her play with matches, though!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Hans. Child racers are common. The vast majority of regular driving skill is in interacting with the other drivers, knowing what they're going to do. The mechanical operation of a vehicle is not a skill an 11 year old is too young for.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm with Hans. Child racers are common. The vast majority of regular driving skill is in interacting with the other drivers, knowing what they're going to do. The mechanical operation of a vehicle is not a skill an 11 year old is too young for.
Their cars are also choked so that they have less power, they are built to withstand a crash (glass removed, racing seats, racing belts, roll cage, removal of flammable material, safety tanks and so on), and the tracks are built to be safe (safe if you drive off the track, no risk of accidentally "shortcutting" across the rough into another part of the track, no hard barriers).

Racing is not as dangerous as it looks, as everybody is travelling in the same direction. There are no head-ons or T-bones, just bumping of cars with little relative speed difference.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages