snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Teen looks forward to life without 16-pound face tumor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teen looks forward to life without 16-pound face tumor
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A team of Miami doctors have performed four operations to cut away a 16-pound monster tumor, replace bone and release the girl inside.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1127marlie27-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All I can say is I'm amazed that someone can live that long with a tumor like that on their face. In america cases like this seem to be few and far between or taken care of at birth, or am I just not paying enough attention to the news?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't sound like it was visible at birth, but grew progressively starting at age 5 or 8.
Yet it was still amazing that she could live that many years having to stuff food down the only hole (tiny hole) that she could breathe through.

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is rare for cases to progress so far in the US or anywhere in the first world but the patient is not American. From the article:

"One night last year she stood at the mirror in her family's home in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, making slashing motions with a knife, as if she wanted to cut the massive deformity out of her face."

I wish her all the best. She has had a rough start.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been a few such cases on the documentary channels. In all of them, the individual was in one of the poorer nations where the expertise was either unavailable or unaffordable. Very very sad. For each one treated (generally by overseas agencies or as charity cases in their own country) how many more are suffering unseen?

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw a medical documentary (I believe it was a grade school aged girl,) and the before and after were amazing. They couldn't remove the whole thing at once. It's a long and painstaking process what with nerves and blood supply, but they took enough away to make a realy good start. One word... WOW!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages