snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Parasites cause weight gain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parasites cause weight gain?
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 220 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the women's magazine First (no website, but it's the latest issue). I ended up and bought the issue because I didn't have time to read it in the checkout line. According to the article 'parasites' (no specific one) cause all manner of ills such as gas, bloating and yeast production that make you pack on the pounds. [Roll Eyes] Sheer balderdash I say. This kind of alarmist junk science is one of many reasons why I don't like women's magazines.
Think I'll check Quackwatch.com to see if there's anything on this.

Dawn--hookwormed on a feeling--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you have a 10 pound worm load of A. lumbricoides or something, then I suppose that counts as a weight gain. But really, there are so many different varieties of parasites -worms, yeasts, protists, candiru(!)- that it's just silly to try and levy some across the board set of symptoms.

Parasites are big business in the world of quacky medicine. Tapping in to people's fear of nasties. But really, we're all slaves to our bacteria anyway.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just even it out with a healthy dose of tapeworm. Problem solved.

(Of course, some folks might view tapeworms as symbiotic rather than parasitic....)

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
P.S. This reminds me that I had a dream last night that I had a tapeworm in my brain and it was giving me headaches. Ewwwww... [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notorious fluffy g
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notorious fluffy g   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom is absolutely convinced that parasites are the root of all evil. if you have an itch, parasites. tummy ache? parasites. she does have a point, to a point. dogs ( among other pets) have parasites and if you let the dog kiss you or you don't wash your hands some can transfer to humans. Also, pork has parasites that can transfer to humans. they are tenacious little guys- and they feed on sugar- so it's a big deal to get rid of them and can take a bit of time. they will cause bloating in some cases and stuff, but I hardly think they are the root cause of obesity. If you listen to the parasite alarmists, you'd think every person had tapeworms 40 feet long- do a google image search and the pictures that come up are positively science fiction-ish- like Alien

--------------------
"Reading and writing, arithmetic and grammar do not constitute education, any more than a knife, fork and spoon constitute a dinner."

* Sir John Lubbock

Posts: 76 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
notorious fluffy g... if I had a 40 foot tapeworm, my ass would be noticeably smaller! [lol]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I've read on legitimate medical websites, parasitic worms usually cause few or no symptoms unless they invade a place other than your intestine. Usually, a person first notices that he/she has intestinal worms when he/she sees worms (or parts thereof in the case of tapeworms) in the toilet. However, worm infestations are rare in the developed world, with the exception of pinworms.

Intestinal protozoa, more common by far in the developed world, are another thing entirely. These microscopic baddies often cause weight loss, due to the fact that patients end up pooping their guts out for the better part of a month.

If you suspect you may have an intestinal parasite, you should go to a legitimate medical doctor and have stool samples taken. Legit doctors can diagnose and treat such problems more effectively than quacks or laypeople can.

- Pseudo "quacks are full of poop" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 03 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am seriously thinking of reporting this article to Quackwatch.
I showed it to my husband, a former Navy corpsman and he'd never heard of such a thing. Granted Mark is no doctor, but he knows a thing or two about parasitology.
I've always thought that internal parasites caused weight loss. A worm sucking all your nutrients would kinda sorta do that to a person.
Naturally the magazine also has an ad for a colonic right after the article. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, there's credible evidence that certain kinds of parasites can treat or prevent some conditions.

Cite.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monster Mousse:
Actually, there's credible evidence that certain kinds of parasites can treat or prevent some conditions.

Cite.

Nonny

Actually, I'd heard of that. Is there any way I might be able to get some of those in a developed world setting? Outside of a clinic where they do these things, of course.

- Pseudo "worming my way into this" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

quote:

Cite.

Nonny

I've heard that too, Nonny. One of my regular customers at my old job has a son with Crohn's disease so we dish about it quite a bit. She said they are doing very preliminary studies on the use of parasits as treatments.

I think it's fascinating. I'm already on board with maggot therapy and the use of leeches in limb reattachment.

--------------------

medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cora Aura:
quote:

Cite.

Nonny

I've heard that too, Nonny. One of my regular customers at my old job has a son with Crohn's disease so we dish about it quite a bit. She said they are doing very preliminary studies on the use of parasits as treatments.

I think it's fascinating. I'm already on board with maggot therapy and the use of leeches in limb reattachment.

Hmmm.. haven't heard of parasites as treatment for Crohn's. I know they think Crohn's is caused by a very hardy bacteria in the Mycobacterium family and a treatment I know has shown success is long-term antibiotics - like 3 or 4 years. Yes, it takes that long to kill it off. The same bacteria causes a chronic wasting disease in cows and other ruminants.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notorious fluffy g:
Also, pork has parasites that can transfer to humans.

SOME pork, not all, has parasites and the way they get transferred is by not cooking the meat thoroughly enough. They are called Tricinella and they form cysts in muscle tissue and in severe chronic cases, even in the brain.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And tapeworms, icky. Something about the worm larve being small enough to get through the blood brain barrier? Things are okay until the body reacts to the parasite and swells. Tapeworm on the brain, man. Or at least that was on an episode of House

Sounds delightfully nasty I loooove parisotology. Yup, I love dem parasites as long as they're not in me. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notorious fluffy g
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notorious fluffy g   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by medtchva:
quote:
Originally posted by notorious fluffy g:
Also, pork has parasites that can transfer to humans.

SOME pork, not all, has parasites and the way they get transferred is by not cooking the meat thoroughly enough. They are called Tricinella and they form cysts in muscle tissue and in severe chronic cases, even in the brain.
I stand corrected!! This whole parasite thing is big business in the homeopathic world. they give you some disgusting tasting drops and solve all the trouble in the world. i hate to see my mom throw good money away on this stuff. she doesn't even go to regular doctors anymore

--------------------
"Reading and writing, arithmetic and grammar do not constitute education, any more than a knife, fork and spoon constitute a dinner."

* Sir John Lubbock

Posts: 76 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages