snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Weight loss pill with tapeworms as ingredient

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight loss pill with tapeworms as ingredient
Elwin Bagley
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Elwin Bagley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elwin Bagley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I ran across a link to an article about a weight loss pill that has tapeworm eggs as the ingredient to insure weight loss. The article seems genuine. It mentions a commercial weight loss pill. But of course it must be a hoax.

The link is: http://www.themq.com/index.php?articleid=192&issue=107

http://www.themq.com/index.php?articleid=192&issue=107

--------------------
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Elwin Bagley

Posts: 2 | From: Jasper, GA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well with quotes like "I have to giggle, just thinking of that cute little tapeworm, feasting away on my intestinal wall." and
"a subject can experience diarrhea, gastral cramps, weakness, fatigue, malnutrition, and a dangerously sexy waistline.",
I think it's a satire about "miracle" weight-loss drugs.

ETA: Looking at the other "headlines", it sounds a lot like the Onion.

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ULRP article on tapeworm diet pills.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The website looks to me to be a The Onion-style satire site. Apart from that, snopes has something to say, and there is this discussion.

Nick

ETA: partially spanked, but at least I got the ULMB chow in.

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On Animal Planet's Most Extreme, they talked about tapeworm eggs as diet pills being used in the early 20th century... around the flapper era. Dunno how long it lasted, but I can't honestly think that women knew what they were putting into their bodies.

(Of course, just because it was on TV doesn't make it true! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeewww.
I go to UCSD. This is what passes for "humor."

liebes-"just because it isn't funny doesn't mean it's not humor"-lied

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After watching the pilot episode of House, MD, I know one thing for sure: I'm not going to put one of these critters into my body voluntarily (oh, and that CSI and Medial investigations episodes were quite disgusting also).

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard Morvan:
After watching the pilot episode of House, MD, I know one thing for sure: I'm not going to put one of these critters into my body voluntarily

Speaking as someone who puts a pilot into her body on a regular basis, I recommend the practice highly...

[fish]

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YOMANK... coke zero, meet keyboard.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cure the Blues
We Three Blings

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Cure the Blues     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the House episode was a wee bit off in how neurocysticercosis develops. People can't get it from eating pork tapeworm cysts. They'll get it from the tapeworm eggs, i.e., classic fecal-oral infection route. House's patient would either have to have extremely...unhygienic...habits if it's a case of autoinfection or have a travel history to a country with sanitation issues (come to think of it, a third way would be for her to have a very slovenly tapeworm-infected friend).

--------------------
"Of all the Daliesque tourist traps in the world, we had to walk into this one."

Posts: 1186 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard Morvan:
After watching the pilot episode of House, MD, I know one thing for sure: I'm not going to put one of these critters into my body voluntarily (oh, and that CSI and Medial investigations episodes were quite disgusting also).

Saw that episode of MI... it was awesome.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages