snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » HBO's Plastic Disasters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HBO's Plastic Disasters
just an optimistic cynic
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just an optimistic cynic     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/plasticdisasters/synopsis.html

I'm afraid I have no images to post; I hope someone can help me out.
I was watching this program earlier in the week, and at one point they went over the history of plastic surgery. Here's a quote from the site:

"Though plastic surgery is widely used today for non- essential cosmetic reasons, we learn that, in fact, it evolved out of necessity. One of the doctors interviewed in the film explains that the origins of plastic surgery can be traced back to the First World War, when many soldiers suffered gunshot wounds to the face. Doctors began to recognize that these horrible disfigurements, which often made the men social outcasts, could be just as devastating as having a serious illness, and developed innovative techniques to reconstruct the face."

Now at this point in the program, they put up pic's of soldiers shot in the face, some rather unsettling images. The problem is, I find it difficult to believe that anyone could survive some of the injuries, and many of them appeared photoshop'd. And I could swear I'd seen one pic on Goregasm long ago, but that time it was supposedly an ER pic from the 90's.
What I'd like to know is, does anyone have these pic's, and do you also believe they're photoshop'd?
I've searched quite a bit, but could find nothing...

--------------------
Flaunting the mark of the beast since 1977 and passing the savings on to you!

Posts: 9 | From: Frankfort, KY | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can find some watercolours of WWI plastic surgery at The Gillies Archives at Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup.

quote:
The Queen's Hospital, Sidcup performed plastic surgery of the face between 1917 and 1925, and today's Queen Mary's Hospital possesses a unique collection of over 2500 case files relating to that era. The pages that follow show details of the collection; in addition there is background information about the present-day hospital and the Postgraduate Centre as well as the medical bibliography of the Great War and some useful links to sites about the war, plastic surgery and rheumatology.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the board, optimistic cynic (nice name, btw [Wink] )!

I don't have any of these pics, but I've seen injuries that looked much worse than they really were, or looked like there would be no way to survive it yet the person has. Also, I put just a tad bit more faith in a program that was most likely researched than I put in Goregasm. The name alone makes it sound like it's more about "Ew, look at this!" than you know, facts or something.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some amazingly horrific wounds that have been survived by those of strong constitution...

And I have heard this story for many years.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some "truly horrific" injuries that aren't as incredibly painful as they may seem. Getting shot in the nose "in profile" would pretty much destroy the nose because it is cartilage/skin and not bone, but wouldn't be as painful as certain other wounds. Third-degree burns, for instance, would be much, much worse.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
just an optimistic cynic
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just an optimistic cynic     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome.

I'll try to catch the program again and post some pictures.
Some of the pic's just looked unrealistic; I have seen the results of some horrendous injuries, but these just didn't look real. Besides looking surreal, they appeared to be touched-up, as though someone cut n' pasted them using Photoshop...

--------------------

Posts: 9 | From: Frankfort, KY | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As evidenced by what happened to Buttafucco's wife, one **can** get shot in the head and survive--it's all a matter of location, location, location.

The oil paintings on the above site look as though the soliders in question didn't get shot at from a "straight on" point of view (gun pointing right at them)but as a result of indirect contact with the weapon (either backfire, being shot at and it grazing their face, and maybe even the bullet connecting by the person turned their face at the right moment--out of sheer instinct--or the person firing was a bad aim; or lastly, maybe some of them were just in the vicinity of the weapon--wrong place, wrong time--and caught the brunt of the damage)...

Anyway, yes, one can survive something that horrible and look that skewed in the face. Maybe the "touch--ups" you were seeing weren't neccessarily edited kinds of things, but toned down--so they are still real, but not as blunt as the actual damage?

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
just an optimistic cynic
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 212 posted      Profile for just an optimistic cynic     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After seeing some of the oil prints and pictures

-

I no longer doubt that the pic's were legitimate (I suppose I doubted HBO's journalistic integrity ). As for HBO possibly toning down pic's...remember this is the channel of "the Sopranos," "Oz," and "Real Sex." [Razz]

I do have one question about this oil, though...

http://website.lineone.net/~andrewbamji/mc%20mcr.jpg.html

Why is there a "tube" of skin running down his neck? Is that for drainage of a wound?

--------------------

annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this last night. what is y'alls take on the first lady. Do you think she's craz or what? I was Sympathizing with her til I saw the end videos she was recording of herself [Eek!]

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is there a "tube" of skin running down his neck? Is that for drainage of a wound?

I would guess what it's for judging by experience with animals. They need skin for the grafts, peferrably the persons own. Once they make that sort of handle/tube they can let the skin grow, then remove it and use it for the graft.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
just an optimistic cynic
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 216 posted      Profile for just an optimistic cynic     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annabohly:
I saw this last night. what is y'alls take on the first lady. Do you think she's craz or what? I was Sympathizing with her til I saw the end videos she was recording of herself [Eek!]

I think she's crazy. No doubt the surgery was botched, but I imagine she was well on her way to La-La Land before she ever went under the knife. At this point she just seems obsessed; I couldn't drum the sympathy for her the way I could for the poor woman who had her legs amputated...

--------------------

medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Doctors who operate on patients who have plastic surgery over and over again (without a medical reason), knowing the risks associated with multiple surgeries, ought to lose their licenses.

2. Doctors who botch surgeries, and I mean seriously/repeatedly, should face automatic jail time.

Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
myisis
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for myisis         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear optimistic cynic:

Those photographs are 100% real. They are in a book at the New York Academy of Medicine and nothing was photoshop-ed.

It is horrifying to think that people were actually so disfigured but the whole POINT of using those photographs in the film was to show why plastic surgery was originally put to use-to help people who were horribly disfigured to at least be able to go out in the world with some degree of dignity.

Posts: 1 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Reality_Biter
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Reality_Biter   E-mail Reality_Biter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by medtchva:
1. Doctors who operate on patients who have plastic surgery over and over again (without a medical reason), knowing the risks associated with multiple surgeries, ought to lose their licenses.

Kinda like Michael Jackson's surgeon(s) who practically left him with no nose and had to rebuild it with mortician's putty (or whatever that stuff is)? Ew.
Posts: 9 | From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the important facial reconstruction surgery developments were made by the infamous WWII Guinea-pig Club. The tubes of skin are made during WWII skin grafting; a rectangle of skin was cut on 3 sides, leaving one of the short sides attached. The other short side was then attacehed to the injury site and the long sides formed into a tube to protect the inner surface. After a period the newly attached skin would heal into the injury site, enabling it to be freed from the original location and flatened out covering the wound. In modern reconstruction/skin grafts the grafts are much thinner and do not require such a technique
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reality_Biter:
quote:
Originally posted by medtchva:

Kinda like Michael Jackson's surgeon(s) who practically left him with no nose and had to rebuild it with mortician's putty (or whatever that stuff is)? Ew.
Perfect example!
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mycroft thank you! You explained it so much better then I could [Big Grin]

Also they may still use it. As far as I know. Just not on people. They do it say, for someone's dog who got dragged behind him because the guy took off and forgot the dog was attached. Nasty pictures.

Then again the vets reuse lots of surgical equipment that is normally disposed of. It's sterilized, but it is to cut down on costs.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages