snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Colored TP and towels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colored TP and towels
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 500 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought we had a ULRP page about the colored toilet paper, but I had no luck finding it. I have heard in the past that it's not good to use colored toilet paper because the dyes can irriatate your nether regions. I never knew how true this was but prefer the look of white TP anyway so I wasn't too concerned.

Today, someone on another message board posted:

quote:
I've heard using white towels is best for your skin, apparently the dye in colored towels get in your pores or something, true?

*snip*

Yeah, this gal told me she went to some modeling school and they said to use white towels because of the dyes.

I went to school for esthetics (skin care) and never heard anything like this. I use a hunter green washcloth and towel every day. It sounds like complete UL to me...ever hear this?

[ 04. December 2005, 07:21 AM:   snopes ]

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 600 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have very sensitive skin and get a rash from just about anything (personal experience with a nether-region rash from pink TP, by the way), but I use towels ranging in color from white to dark blue and green and have never had a reaction.
Also, I used to be friends with a girl who had taken modeling classes and I seem to remember her towels being medium pink.
This isn't to say it's not true at all, but I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

edited for spelling

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you even buy colored toilet paper anymore? I know that I never see it here anymore.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that at one time colored tp = perfumed tp. Colored tp doesn't bother me, but perfumed? Not a good place to get a rash.

I've had the same problem with feminine hygiene products.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I could see problems with scented Tp (or any other scented product), but simply from the dye itself? I would be surprised.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The kind that gave me a rash was just dyed, not scented, but I also get a rash if I wear a new article of clothing before washing it at least twice, and can't wear metal (even gold) jewelry for longer than about 8 hours without a rash. My skin sucks [Frown] .

--------------------

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Standard supermarket procedure:
Pick up package of toilet paper.
Sniff it.
If it's scented put it back.
Pick up another package of toilet paper.
Repeat as necessary.
Place package of unscented toilet paper into trolley.
Notice other shoppers staring.
Smile and move on to the breakfast cereal aisle.

I wonder whether the towels mentioned in the OP were sanitary towels/pads ?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What about quilted TP?

I was once forced to buy some as it was the only stuff left in the only shop open nearby. (It was a sunday)

I felt like I was turning into a granny.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
...depends whether you're a "scrunch-er" or a "fold-er" I guess...

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simone
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvanz:
Can you even buy colored toilet paper anymore? I know that I never see it here anymore.

P&LL, Syl

I don't remember seeing it in the US, but since I moved to France I've noticed it everywhere - it's almost easier to find colored (usually pink) TP here than white.
Posts: 293 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Different body site, same principle. My friend has foot problems, the result of picking up a fungus in 'Nam. The doc told him to wear only white socks because the dye in colored socks would irritate his feet. He's a nerd, anyway, [Big Grin] so the white socks are fine!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, actually white TP is also coloured (I believe they stopped using chlorine only a short while ago during paper production). The uncoloured variety has a grayish colour.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point, beaver_slayer, but wouldn't it be bleached to be white? I'd think that would be different than dye.

--------------------

beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, candy, I'm not quite sure, but I think bleaching is actually worse and requires more chemicals. Although AFAIR in order to dye paper you need to bleach it first.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trust me, both dye and scent can cause problems.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years back they came out with some TP that had lotion in it. Kind of the same thing as Puffs Plus I guess. But let's just say - BAD IDEA!!!
Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marrya-la-la:
...depends whether you're a "scrunch-er" or a "fold-er" I guess...

Very nearly my first YOMANK

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvanz:

P&LL, Syl

They have colored TP in Europe. I remember going to Norway and using light blue TP.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
medtchva
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for medtchva   E-mail medtchva   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Says:
A few years back they came out with some TP that had lotion in it. Kind of the same thing as Puffs Plus I guess. But let's just say - BAD IDEA!!!

They still have something like that out... Charmin with Aloe.
Posts: 229 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not saying its true but I've have always heard people say that you shouldn't use blue toilet paper if you have a septick tank/system.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Marrya-la-la: You should have seen the looks an old friend and I got when we went shopping together and fanned out to sniff all the TP.

Lotion in TP? Ugh. Puffs Plus makes my nose run more, I don't want to think about what lotion in the TP would do.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages