snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Medical » Getting drunk off vodka in the eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting drunk off vodka in the eyes
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't sure what category to put this in, since there's no category for drinking stories. (there should be!)

Back in college a guy told me that when Russians get low on vodka, they bring out the eyedropper. He said a group of guys can get drunk off just a couple ounces by dropping it in their eyes, instead of injesting it. He said since the alcohol goes straight to the veins in their eyes, they get drunk super fast but it doesn't last very long.

I didn't want to try this myself, since I figure it would probably burn really bad and maybe make you go blind. Is it medically safe, and would it really make you feel drunk?

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think so. Alcohol to a mucous membrane=bad.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds to me as if it would dry the cornea. Can't possibly be a good idea.

I rather prefer the enema theory...

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Us Russians, when we run out of alcohol, we drink methyl alcohol (that'll make you blind), face tonic and perfume. Helps with hygene, too...

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the fumes from alcahol (admittedly not a drinkable alcahol) are enough my make my eyes sting. I think actually getting alcahol in your eyes would be agonizing.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting drunk has to do with the amount of alcohol in your blood stream, not how well it was placed in your system. While an amount being placed in QUICKLY is different (no food, bubbles whatever) in that more alcohol is placed in your bloodstream sooner than over a period of time, a droplet of alcohol is no sooner to get you drunk in the eye or directly in the stomach.

I have heard friends tell me of them doing some sort of shooter off the back of a shot- in their nose. They swear by it. But they also do a few of em.

Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ouch My Ankle
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story you heard is probably untrue. Ethyl alcohol is a skin and eye irritant. It would hurt like heck.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vinnichanka:
Us Russians, when we run out of alcohol, we drink methyl alcohol (that'll make you blind), face tonic and perfume. Helps with hygene, too...

Don't forget MIG-25 electronics coolant fluid...

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of friends of mine tried snorting vodka. The looked extremely ridiculous doing it, but said that the little bit the snorted made them feel drunk.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This appears in the film Kevin and Perry Go Large (starring Harry Enfield and Kathy Burke). The DJ they meet in Ibiza keeps 'swigging' a vodka bottle into his eye, accompanied by a shout of "Twat!" each time.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chauliodus
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a big poster on this board but this thread reminded me of the voodoo god Baron Samedi. According to folklore, if you encounter someone you think is the Baron, it's advised to spit rum into the persons eyes, if he's uneffected (ie: blind and rithing in pain) you know he's the real deal.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I once read or heard about a study (maybe another UL?) that there can be a certain "placebo element" in being drunk. So if you think a certain ritual can make you more drunk (like e.g. drinking alcoholic beverages through a straw, dripping it in your eyes, dancing around the table singing "Olé Espana", whatever), then so it shall be. Apparently even getting fed non alcoholic beverages without realizing may result in you feeling and acting drunk.

"May" is a keyword here, IIRC, so it happens to some people, but not all.

Anyone any idea where I may have picked up this story and any hints as to its veracity?

Ulko "The've seen me drink but they've yet to see me drunk" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ulkomaalainen:
Actually I once read or heard about a study (maybe another UL?) that there can be a certain "placebo element" in being drunk. So if you think a certain ritual can make you more drunk (like e.g. drinking alcoholic beverages through a straw, dripping it in your eyes, dancing around the table singing "Olé Espana", whatever), then so it shall be. Apparently even getting fed non alcoholic beverages without realizing may result in you feeling and acting drunk.

"May" is a keyword here, IIRC, so it happens to some people, but not all.

Anyone any idea where I may have picked up this story and any hints as to its veracity?

Ulko "The've seen me drink but they've yet to see me drunk" maalainen

Just anecdotal evidence. The peer pressure element certainly contributes to drunken behavior even when the person's not intoxicated. Back on a high school field trip a bunch of the guys convinced one wannabe that smoking clove cigarettes through the nose would produce a high -- he did, and made a complete ass of himself for about an hour and a half before they broke it to him that there were no mind-altering substances in the smokes. Adam Sandler even had a sketch about this sort of thing on his first album.

"Wow, I'm dead, man..."
[Razz]

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bassist
Chess Nuts Boasting 'Round an Open Fire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bassist   E-mail Bassist   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
A couple of friends of mine tried snorting vodka. The looked extremely ridiculous doing it, but said that the little bit the snorted made them feel drunk.

Wonder if hyperventilation had anything to do with it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I'm singing and deranged!"

Posts: 239 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seraphina
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seraphina   E-mail Seraphina   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vodka in the eyes? Maybe they got it bit confused; it would possibly make you blind, NOT blind drunk [Smile]
Posts: 214 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This urban legend is false. Everyone but the police knows that it is impossible to get drunk off of vodka, particularly if it is served in orange juice. Metabolism.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages