snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Religion » Winter Solstice celebration held on the wrong day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winter Solstice celebration held on the wrong day
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/6199671.stm

quote:
Around 60 people turned up at to celebrate the Winter Solstice at Stonehenge - on the wrong day. After negotiating with site-managers English Heritage, the crowd performed traditional solstice activities on Thursday morning, and left peacefully.

One reveller, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "We formed a ring and held hands, and touched the stones. The man with the green cloak was there.

"But there were an awful lot of red faces," she said.

[...]

A spokeswoman for English Heritage, which looks after the site, said: "People assume because the Summer Solstice is the 21st June, the Winter Solstice will be the 21st December.

"They should always check."

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is at 22 minutes past midnight tonight.

They were nearly right.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What matter facts to our belief? Whether 'tis historically accurate that events should happen on a particular day, what matters is our belief in the event and our continuance of the ancient rituals of our clan.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Green cloaks, red faces...how very festive.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mindiloohoo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindiloohoo   E-mail mindiloohoo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet no one makes fun of us (meaning me and anyone else who is Christian) Christians who celebrate Christ's birth on the wrong day every year... [Big Grin]

I do think it's funny though, not checking before you go.

Posts: 3 | From: Aurora, IL | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ledfeather
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledfeather   E-mail Ledfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They were a lot closer to the actual day of their celebration then the Christians are to the day the Jesus was born.

--------------------
There is absolutely no evidence that life is meant to be taken serious.

Posts: 29 | From: Washington | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
difference being that none aside from the most naive of Christians see 25 December as the *date* of Jesus' birth, as oppose to a day to celebrate that it happened.

what NZUL said.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why its an error. The solstice was on the 21st for much of the world, no? So, considering that world time is a modern construction, it should be considered well to celebrate within the 24 hour period before or after.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages