snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Religion » God destroys distillery (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: God destroys distillery
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 01 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: An atheist man in an Oklahoma town owned a distillary that 2
local churches wanted gone. Both churches held prayers one night in which
a thunderstorm hit the distillary and burned it down. The insurance
company refused to pay calling it an "act of God". Now the man is suing
the churches because he feels they conspired with God to burn the
distillary. They are claiming they did no such thing. True or not true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Both churches held prayers one night in which a thunderstorm hit the distillary and burned it down.
I'm still puzzling over how rain causes a distillery to burn down.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rain wouldn't. Lightning, however, might:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/kelsey/churburn.htm

And the fact that distilleries tend to contain large amounts of alcohol would probably be a contributing factor as well.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it not a holy spirit?

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Homeowners insurance typically does cover lightning explicitly (if you have the most common HO-3 coverage). The insurance industry pays out about $5 billion a year for lightning damage, which is a significant fraction.

"Acts of God" is an archaic way to put it that makes sense in the context of this joke, but isn't very good legalese. Insurance policies will list out natural disasters that they do and do not cover. Typical disasters that aren't covered without special add-on insurance are floods and earthquakes, since those can wipe out large swathes of territory and it can be difficult for a company to stay solvent if they have to pay everyone at once.

Thats all for consumer insurance rather than commercial. But I'm guessing its not all that different. If the policy doesn't even cover lightning, then what the hell is it good for?

And whats so disreputable about a distillery that a community would want it gone, anyway? Its not like that kind of industry would even affect local alocohol consumption, nor would it have other negative consequences beyond a typical factory. It sounds like the main way this is supposed to be a positive thing to its target audience would be for the target audience to hate and automatically wish ill fortune on atheists. The subculture of that community trying to destroy a local business are the villains. Nephalism is fine if some religious branch decides on it (though its certainly not a universal value for Christianity), but its eerily Talibanesque to try to prevent it from even being produced.

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
And whats so disreputable about a distillery that a community would want it gone, anyway? Its not like that kind of industry would even affect local alocohol consumption, nor would it have other negative consequences beyond a typical factory.

Since I've moved to a highly Baptist area I've noticed a subset of people I didn't realize existed before: militant teetotalers.

I've actually heard the theory put forth that the "wine" that Jesus drank and created was "actually a type of vinegar, they just CALLED it wine. It's archaic language!"

Suuuure...

Churches around here (in the wet counties, anyway) will buy up liquor licenses for the express purpose of keeping them out of the hands of establishments that would actually SELL liquor. To me, it doesn't seem too far-fetched that churches near a distillery would hate it just for what it is, never mind its impact on the community.

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the messiah, protestants don't recognize the authority of the pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store... [Wink]

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingoHrts
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingoHrts   E-mail KingoHrts   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Growing up in Louisville, KY, I learned there are several distilleries in full time operation there. Also, my mother and my sister both worked many years for Brown-Foreman where they make and bottle many spirits, including Old Forester and Early Times. I have to say that other than an occasional nice rich aroma, the distillery is actually a very good neighbor.

A distillery processes the original ingredients into the raw liquor, which usually has to age in a temperature controlled warehouse, before it can be bottled, shipped and sold. With the very restrictive tax laws that apply in many US states to selling and shipping liquor across state lines, most distilleries don't bottle liquor until they have orders for it as it usually has to have a special state sticker over the cap to verify those taxes have been paid. That being the case, having a distillery in your neighborhood doesn't mean you will necessarily have more liquor available, locally. If there is a local demand for it, the supplier will be happy to provide it, but if not, the supplier will go elsewhere.

Louisville also is the home of many cigarette manufacturing plants, too. We make a lot of things which are bad for you...and we seem to sell a lot of them. Oh, and we gamble on horse-races a lot. Anybody wonder why I loved growing up here?

--------------------
Chuck K.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

Posts: 44 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KingoHrts:
That being the case, having a distillery in your neighborhood doesn't mean you will necessarily have more liquor available, locally. If there is a local demand for it, the supplier will be happy to provide it, but if not, the supplier will go elsewhere.

Jack Daniels is produced in a dry county, so none of it is sold in the immediate vacinity.
Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
khadijah
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khadijah   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Since I've moved to a highly Baptist area I've noticed a subset of people I didn't realize existed before: militant teetotalers.

I've actually heard the theory put forth that the "wine" that Jesus drank and created was "actually a type of vinegar, they just CALLED it wine. It's archaic language!"

you would not believe the amount of people who think this. I had a mormon friend tell me this once. They just called it wine?! what? I've heard that the wine they had in biblical times was in fact much stronger than ours.
Posts: 122 | From: Minneapolis/London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlueStar
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueStar     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was living in the middle east and some bearded NFBSKer started going around turning precious, thirst queching water into VINEGAR I'd be making a grab for the nails and wood myself!
Posts: 1710 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And the vikings actually drunk honey, but just CALLED IT Mead...

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by KingoHrts:
That being the case, having a distillery in your neighborhood doesn't mean you will necessarily have more liquor available, locally. If there is a local demand for it, the supplier will be happy to provide it, but if not, the supplier will go elsewhere.

Jack Daniels is produced in a dry county, so none of it is sold in the immediate vacinity.
But I was told (on the tour, take it if you can, it is real interesting) that they do GIVE IT AWAY to the employees, depending on the demand (from customers) and how much they have in the holding barns.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by khadijah:
quote:

you would not believe the amount of people who think this. I had a mormon friend tell me this once. They just called it wine?! what? I've heard that the wine they had in biblical times was in fact much stronger than ours.
Vinegar was called "sour wine", not just "wine".

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
khadijah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khadijah   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueStar:
If I was living in the middle east and some bearded NFBSKer started going around turning precious, thirst queching water into VINEGAR I'd be making a grab for the nails and wood myself!

yomank blue!
Posts: 122 | From: Minneapolis/London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Its amazing that "its an archaic language that suffers from multiple translations" is true in instances like this, but not true when pulling some vague phrase condeming homosexuality or dancing [Smile]

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It can't be too much stronger. At a certain alcohol concentration, the alcohol kills the bacteria fermenting it. To further increase the alcohol concentration you need to distill it into spirits, which is a more complex process that doesn't serve the goal of storing safe potable water in wine form. Once you distill or fortify it, its not truly what we would consider wine anymore.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michigan Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michigan Girl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the messiah, protestants don't recognize the authority of the pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store... [Wink]

Now that's a sig line waiting to happen!

--------------------
~ Yep, I'm in Michigan ~ My blog http://catsrule2k.blogspot.com/
I am not willing to give up my constitutional freedoms just because I have nothing to hide

Posts: 142 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BringTheNoise:
And the vikings actually drunk honey, but just CALLED IT Mead...

Been watching to many movies. For a time mead was popular and drunk thru out Europe and Russia at one time or another. It has be found all over the world. Hell, its easy to make by accedent, just leave some honey out to mix with rain water and give it time to ferment.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Errata:
quote:
quote:

It can't be too much stronger. At a certain alcohol concentration, the alcohol kills the bacteria fermenting it. To further increase the alcohol concentration you need to distill it into spirits, which is a more complex process that doesn't serve the goal of storing safe potable water in wine form. Once you distill or fortify it, its not truly what we would consider wine anymore.
From being co-erced into helping my father with his home wine making (and fouler substances could not have passed your lips) altough most wine making yeasts die off at about 11-13% GL (ABV)(Typical strength of shop bought wine) it is possible to buy yeast that will survive at up to 17% GL (approaching the strength of sherry or port.) And it does make a difference after a couple of glasses.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But we're missing the finer point, that snopes already mentioned - how did rain destroy the place? The destruction was caused by a thunderstorm, not a lightning storm. What happened? The thunder was so loud, it violently shook the distillery apart (and inexplicably caught on fire as well)?

quote:
Originally posted by musicgeek:
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the messiah, protestants don't recognize the authority of the pope, and Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store...

Reminds me of what jim Stafford once said - "Cats are like Baptists. You know they raise hell, but you never catch 'em at it!"

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A thunder storm implies lightning, in that lightning causes thunder.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
But we're missing the finer point, that snopes already mentioned - how did rain destroy the place? The destruction was caused by a thunderstorm, not a lightning storm. What happened? The thunder was so loud, it violently shook the distillery apart (and inexplicably caught on fire as well)?

A bit off topic, but I remember touring Davey Crockett State Park in TN. He had a gunpowder factory on his land and it was destroyed by a flood. He wrote that it was ironic that it was destroyed by flood and NOT an explosion (as they usually evidently are).

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I live here in OK and haven't heard this one.

How long ago was it supposed to happen? "Now he is suing" implies a recent event, but I didn't find anything about it.

Without more information, I have to vote total fiction.

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Home distillation is illegal in the US (except to make fuel), so an insurance company wouldn't cover it.

Also, stills are known to explode when ethanol fumes build up in a closed room or when the piping gets clogged.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Home distillation is not illegal in the US. How would you explain the boom in home made beer/wine industry. The smart filter at work won't let me surf for "Alcohol" related subjects but I also believe you can make your own hooch up to several gallons a month for personal use.

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Distillation is different from making wine or beer. Distillation is when you use heat or cold to increase the alcohol content above what you can get with ordinary brewing. From the BATF site, you can make up to 100 gallons (200 if there are two adults in the residence) of beer or wine. But you cannot distill spirits for consumption unless qualify as a distilled spirits plant.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brewing and vinting are different from distilling.
With brewing beer the highest alcohol content you'd get is about 6% with vinting (wine making) it's around 12%. These are legal for home production and have been since the 1970s.

Distilling takes a beer or wine and removes the water content leaving purer alcohol. This is is what is illegal.

My hubby is a homebrewer and I realize that the above is rather simplistic.

Now I have this song stuck in my head.

Gather up the pots and the old tin cans
The mash, the corn, the barley and the bran.
Run like the devil from the excise man
Keep the smoke from rising, Barney.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Beer, wine, cider, and mead are produced by fermentation, which is legal in the US. I am well aware of the legallity of it, as I have made probably a couple hundred bottles of wine (mostly good) and beer (mostly bad) over the last few years.

I looked it to see what it would take to get a license for a distillery and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

You can actually get beer, wine, cider, and mead up to about 15% (by volume) without fortification before the yeast dies. Barleywine beer contains between 8 and 12% alcohol. Strong cider is called apple (or other fruit) wine. I'm not sure if there is a special name for strong mead.

Distilling beer produces (basically) whisky, wine produces (grape) brandy, cider produces apple (or other fruit) brandy.

Vodka, gin, rum, and tequila are also made via fermentation then distillation.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Now the man is suing the churches because he feels they conspired with God to burn the
distillary.

Then he's not really an atheist, is he?

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not really I guess.

It's hard to get rid of superstition, and even harder to get rid of one's religious background.

As the old saying goes:

"I don't believe in ghosts, but I'm scared of them."

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More likely this is playing into the notion that atheists don't really disbelieve, but are consciously and deliberately rejecting God.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
A thunder storm implies lightning, in that lightning causes thunder.

It's true. In fact, implication is the single greatest killer of syntax.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with evilrabbit here. Thunder cannot happen without lightning. Lightning hit the distillery.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
I'm with evilrabbit here. Thunder cannot happen without lightning. Lightning hit the distillery.

Right. Therefore, it would be perfectly logical to write: "Thunder hit the distillery and it burned down."
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages