snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Questionable Quotes » Erich von Daniken said it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Erich von Daniken said it?
Commander Taco
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Commander Taco   Author's Homepage   E-mail Commander Taco   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears some Amazon.com reviewer of "Chariots of the Gods" is propagating a story about something Erich von Daniken (the author) supposedly said on BBC Radio:

quote:
5 of 11 people found the following review helpful:

A true story, May 23, 2005
Reviewer: Sean Grady (Dundalk) - See all my reviews
Daniken had done an interview on BBC radio about 'Chariots of the Gods'. The interviewer was showing him out to the car park and asked him: 'Now we're off the air, between you and me, do you really believe all that about ancient astronauts, alien runways in Peru, gods mating with humans, and whatnot?' The great man considered and replied thus: 'Would you like a lift in my new Rolls-Royce?'

Those who say he was a convicted fraudster should be ashamed of themselves. That was BEFORE he had his big idea. Afterwards he did it legally. This is a guy who has separated more pre-teens from their pocket money than Madonna, and he doesn't look as good. 3 stars for chutzpah.

If you Google it it appears he's posted the same review on other sites. ( Here's the reviewer's profile page on Amazon)

Anyway, whatever you think of Daniken (I think he's garbage!), has anyone heard of or have another cite for this quotation?

--------------------
No, not *that* Commander Taco

Posts: 180 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard it, and I think he kinda believes what he says. If I'm not mistaken, it has been proven on several occasions that he made evidence up, and he must know this, but I think he believes his whole concept. I certainly do not believe that he would go out of character enough for implying he does it for the money.

Tales like this have been told of and attributed to, rightly or wrongly, quite a few people over here, especially musicians who make music considered by many as "not too good". Heino and Freddy Quinn come to mind to me as a German.

But right you are, he *is* garbage.

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this goes alongside the L. Ron. Hubbard story about him and Issac Asimov having a bet about how easy it would be to set up a religion.
I believe these stories not because of any proof but because they deserve to be true. lol.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RichardM
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RichardM   Author's Homepage   E-mail RichardM   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Supposedly Carl Sagan commented about Daniken as follows:

"What ever Daniken doesn't understand, he attibutes to beings from outer space. And Daniken doesn't understand algebra."

Posts: 129 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I've read about von Daniken, the issue isn't so much that he's a charlatan and he knows it so much that he sees evidence of agriculture and maybe religious ceremony (the Nazca lines) and, rather than believe that the indigenous people could have enough of a grasp of geometry that they could draw really long and relatively straight lines, he assumes that aliens must have done it. I know, there's more to it than that, but that "more" is mainly pseudoscience and masked Victorian era-style racism.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if the story's true, but I think Erich von Däniken is too smart to reveal himself like that. And by the way, that "hey, have you seen my new Rolls-Royce"-kind of attitude isn't very swiss. We love money like anyone else, but bragging about one's fortune is considered terminal bad taste here.

After all, he's been successfully writing (and selling) his stuff for several decades. Being a militant atheist, von Däniken, unlike Hubbard, never tried to create a religion or to become a guru and attract followers to live at their expense. He's a self-taught pseudo-scientist, that's true (and he never pretended anything else, presenting himself as an amateur archeologist), but everyone is free to buy his books or not.

Yet, maybe he's been packed by megalomania lately, as he opened a theme park in Interlaken, Switzerland, which turned out to be a financial black hole for attracting not enough visitors.

http://www.mysterypark.ch/index.php?id=29&L=1

I don't know how long he will keep his Rolls-Royce... if he has one.

As for his theories, I confess I read some of his books and believed most of them when I was much younger, but now I'd just say I see him as a charlatan who once in a while asks a good question (and no, I didn't visit his park, although it's one hour from my place).

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smartymarty66
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smartymarty66         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I was wanting his stuff taught alongside intelligent design.
Posts: 58 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
I think this goes alongside the L. Ron. Hubbard story about him and Issac Asimov having a bet about how easy it would be to set up a religion.
I believe these stories not because of any proof but because they deserve to be true. lol.

ITYM "Robert A. Heinlein".

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Candy:
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:

ITYM "Robert A. Heinlein".
And Harlan Ellison claims Hubbard made the bet either with him or in his presence....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages