snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Harry Potter Films ULs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harry Potter Films ULs
kateb
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 503 posted      Profile for kateb   E-mail kateb       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been rumors and stories about the Harry Potter films besiding that the book series causes a rise in santanism. Here are some "UL'S" about Harry Potter

Haley Joel Osment(the kid from the sixth sense) was rejected to play the role of Harry Potter as he was American and the producers wanted an all British cast.

Daniel Radcliffe voice was broken during the filming of the first film and a young actor named Joe Sowerbutts was hired for his voice.

There are many other rumors of UL if you look up websites with infomation about it

Posts: 1 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, welcome to the board.

Second, it wouldn't surprise me if the UL you mention about Haley Joel Osment was true. It's true that the producers wanted an all-British cast I just don't know if Haley Joel Osment was actually approached before that decision was made.

Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome from me too!!

Daniel Radcliffe's voice did change during filming, but they filmed the entire movie in sequence so it changes gradually in the film. They did not dub his voice. Since the story takes place over an entire school year, it is perfectly reasonable that his voice changes. Had they not done it in sequence, it might have been a different story.

I don't think it was just the producers that wanted all-Brit. cast. I think Rowling herself wanted it that way. If I remember correctly (I often don't [dunce] ) it was one of the agreements made with her before she allowed the films to be made.

Fran - Harry Potter nerd - Java

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A story that I have heard may be linked to the Osment story. I heard that Steven Spielberg was approached to make the first film. He wanted to move the whole story to America, with the school being an American one as well, of course. JK Rowling rejected this because she wanted it to be a British film set in a magical version of a British public school (as in the books).

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also heard that Robin Williams was also to play Dombaldore.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are the stories relating to Haley Joel Osment as reported on IMDb:

From Studio Briefing - An American Harry Potter?

From WENN - Osment Blasts Harry Potter Movie Plans

ETA:
Here are the IMDb news stories about Joe Sowerbutts.

Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dobers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dobers   E-mail Dobers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Accordig to Wikipedia, Spielberg also wanted the film to be animated and Harry voiced by Haley Joel Osment. Link (may have to click "Films" in table of contents)

It also mentions on Terry Gilliam's page that Gilliam was turned down on the first movie and supposedly refused to direct any of the later films because of it.

Posts: 86 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild Card
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Wild Card     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cubbie:
I also heard that Robin Williams was also to play Dombaldore.

Oh geez...the sounds and images going through my head...there are no words.

--------------------
"It's a perfect system...unless it screws up." -Biology Professor

Posts: 495 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 16 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Robin Williams as Dumbledore?! I love him, but that movie would've SUCKED! (Insert vomiting graemlin here!)

--------------------

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had heard the rumor about voice dubbing referring to the second or third film (I forget), not the first. The rest is new to me.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard about Williams when the first movie came out, but was rejected because of the whole british cast thing.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting point about a British cast...

In a Readers Digest article she stated that when she was originally afraid that an AMerican director would "mutilate her baby".

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
J K Rowling did demand all British actors for the roles but that makes sense.

The book is set in England with English characters so why should they be played with American accents - that would just be weird, surely?

Not everything has to be American - we have actors in Britain as well you know!

--------------------
It's been a while but I'm back!!

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The book is set in England with English characters so why should they be played with American accents - that would just be weird, surely?
Well, it worked for Willy Wonka...oh, wait. Never mind.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I throught Britain was just part of Rowling's vivid settings. Are you telling me it's a real place?
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody hell! (said with upstate New York accent.)

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson were American and were doing bad British accents. Shows what I know (about Harry Potter movies and about accents).

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:
I always thought Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson were American and were doing bad British accents. Shows what I know (about Harry Potter movies and about accents).

Such are their acting skills, you be forgiven for thinking that - let me explain why.

One of the hardest things an actor has to do come across naturally - not stilted, or searching for lines, or pre-ocuppied. The actor loses themselves in the character to help attain this natural feel (amongst other things).

The kids in the HP movies are so awkward (and, basically, untalented) that it sounds to your ears that their accents aren't their own, that they are struggling to maintain their British accents and that they might slip at any moment.

Also, the fact is that they 'are' putting on accents - they've been coached to sound plumbier, a bit more 'gosh jolly' and you can hear the struggles around this too, especially during exposition elements of the script when the poor souls are really exposed.

It doesn't help that they are acting alongside such excellent character actors, but I have noticed an improvement in 'some' of the kids' acting as the films have progressed but this stands to reason - they could hardly have got any worse [Smile] )

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
quote:
Originally posted by pob14:

The kids in the HP movies are so awkward (and, basically, untalented) that it sounds to your ears that their accents aren't their own, that they are struggling to maintain their British accents and that they might slip at any moment.

Also, the fact is that they 'are' putting on accents - they've been coached to sound plumbier, a bit more 'gosh jolly' and you can hear the struggles around this too, especially during exposition elements of the script when the poor souls are really exposed.

That would, indeed, explain it. Although I am keeping open the possibility that I don't know what I'm talking about. :-)

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

I thought they sounded British, just "green." Their acting has certainly gotten better as time moves on. They seem much more confident in themselves and in their characters. Except, maybe Rupert (Ron.) He has this constantly dopey look about him. Of course, Ron does in the books, too. Maybe he's a better actor than I thought. [Big Grin]

--------------------

DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost on Toast:
J K Rowling did demand all British actors for the roles but that makes sense.

Not everything has to be American - we have actors in Britain as well you know!

Also, IIRC, she stated that she did not like the was a British Accents sound when faked.

I wouldn't know about that, but Mel Gibson does a pretty decent job of covering his Aussie accent and sounding American (although it shows sometimes though if you listen closely) [Wink]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages