snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » O.J., too nice to be a killer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: O.J., too nice to be a killer?
Bubby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubby   E-mail Bubby       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that OJ simposn was originally meant to be the terminator in the Terminator series but was not hired because e seemed too nice to be a killer...

This is too crazy to be true...

Posts: 110 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know anything about OJ, but it's possible another actor was considered, since Arnie was original approached to play the hero in the first Terminator. But after reading the script thought the terminator would be more fun.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 87 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
O.J. was probably rejected because his acting skills would have to improve considerably in order for him to play an automaton convincingly. And because his speech is even more incomprehensible than Arnold's.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, up until 1994, O.J. was generally regarded as a really nice guy by the public. He was a sports hero who had made the transition into acting, with reasonable success.

When I first heard about the killings, I felt very bad for him since I'd always liked him. The first reports were that he'd been notified about what had happened when he was in Chicago, if I recall correctly. It was only later we learned that he caught the flight to Chicago after the killings had happened. And you know the rest.

Anyway, when the first Terminator film was being cast, I can see his image as a "nice guy" might have been an issue.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Tootsie. An actor's public perception often effects the roles they get, and for a long time OJ was considered a great guy. In order for a "nice guy" to effectively play a villain, he'd have to be a quite talented actor, which nobody has ever claimed to be true of the man.

In fact, casting an actor whose public perception matches the role often serves as an effective shortcut. As an example, someone like Tom Hanks is presumed to be a good guy until proven otherwise. He could play a bad guy because he's arguably a good actor, but tends to be the good guy because of what many assume they know about him as a person.

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:

The first reports were that he'd been notified about what had happened when he was in Chicago, if I recall correctly. It was only later we learned that he caught the flight to Chicago after the killings had happened. And you know the rest.

IIRC he did claim to have learned of the killings in Chicago, even though they'd happened early enough that he was still in California when they happened. He said the cuts on his fingers were the result of having smashed a glass when he heard the news. The guy who sat next to him on the plane to Chicago testified that he'd looked at OJ's hands to see his Super Bowl ring, but I can't remember whether he said he noticed the cuts or not.

I also can't believe how much I do remember about that! Ew.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly O/T: According to Carroll O'Connor's autobiography, Simpson was one of the hopefuls he rejected when casting Tibbs for his TV series In the Heat of the Night. (The part eventually went to Harold Rollins).

Simpson did, however, end up playing a murder victim on a first-season show - a union leader whose moderate (nice?) stance was making the radicals on both sides impatient. Oh, and he was carrying on with the white wife of the factory boss, too. Simpson was garrotted, as I recall...

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bubby:
I have heard that OJ simposn was originally meant to be the terminator in the Terminator series but was not hired because e seemed too nice to be a killer...

The IMDB entry for the film has this listed under "Trivia." Which doesn't necessarily mean it's a fact, but it's a data point.

I had heard the story long about about Schwarzenegger being asked to read the script with a view to playing the hero and deciding he would much rather play the Terminator, but I also read someplace else that that was itself a UL. So, I don't know for sure.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages