snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Sacha Cohen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sacha Cohen
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard a rumor that the comedian/actor who acts as Borat in the
movie Borat and Ali G in DA ALI G SHOW is named Sacha Baron Cohen. I also
heard that Leonard Cohen has a son named Adam Oscar Cohen. My friend told
me that they were the same person. He said that If you rearrange the
letters in Sacha Baron Cohen's name you get Aßan Oscar Cohen, which is the
name of Leonard Cohen's son! Could You please tell me if this rumor is
true or not.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is he asking "Is it true that rearranging the letters in 'Adam Oscar' gets you 'Sascha Baron'?" Because, um, no, it doesn't. And using Greek* characters just makes it weirder.

*Greek, am I right? I'm not sure about that part.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a German character that represents two Ss.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that was my first thought: "Assan" doesn't really look much like "Adam"...

Plus, how is it a "rumour" that the guy's name is Sacha Baron Cohen? Plus, if you're smart enough to submit a question like this, how hard can it be for you to look it up at Wikipedia, or the IMDB, or...

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
His last name is also Baron Cohen, not Cohen. Baron is apparently a variation on Baruch. His father's name is Gerald Baron Cohen, who is Welsh-born, not at all Canadian.

Also, am I the only one who always has to think for a moment when he or Sasha Cohen are mentioned?

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
2 Jewish people and they're both called Cohen?They must be related.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
2 Jewish people and they're both called Cohen?They must be related.

[lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Page Three:
Yes, that was my first thought: "Assan" doesn't really look much like "Adam"...

Plus, how is it a "rumour" that the guy's name is Sacha Baron Cohen? Plus, if you're smart enough to submit a question like this, how hard can it be for you to look it up at Wikipedia, or the IMDB, or...

This leads to one of my pet peeves. I can't stand the questions in the entertainment section of most newspapers. These are the columns where people can ask questions about celebrities. There is almost always a question that you'd have to be living under a rock not to know, so I must presume some people just want to get their names in the paper.

Dear Selebrity Snoop,
I have a bet with my husband, and need your help. I say Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are a couple, but my hubby says Tom would never cheat on Nicole Kidman. There is $5 riding on this one!
Wilma in Bedrock

Dear Wilma,
You're now $5 richer! The two lovebirds recently wed. Tom and Nicole, sadly, divorced a while back, and Ms. Kidman has also remarried. Tell hubby to pay up!

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what Sacha Cohen's real name is, but she sure can skate.

-

Never mind, I've got it: [fish]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages