snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Jamie Lee Curtis Truth? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jamie Lee Curtis Truth?
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamie Lee Curtis is hot. I don't know how to rate people on the mannish scale so I'll just stick with she's hot.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneage Dinosaur:
There was an interesting interview with Tony Curtis in The Times a few months ago, in which he talks about Jamie Lee (see about 3/4 of the way down). For what it's worth (he could be talking about anything), he mentions "a secret in Jamie that I can’t disclose” which leads to a meeting between the interviewer and a lawyer regarding "off the record" comments.

What bothers me about that article is, if it's really a secret, why mention it at all? Okay, maybe Tony Curtis blabbed it, but why did the reporter have to go through the process of "I can't disclose" - then saying he does anyway - mentioning the meeting with the lawyer - then summing it up with "it's really no one's business"? It sounds like they're just creating more hype about it.

If you want to see Jamie Lee in her skivvies, (someone mentioned something like that eta: jokingly, I realize) she did a photo shoot for More magazine four years ago. It's a great article about liking yourself as you are. She wanted to show people what she really looks like, before all the make-up and airbrushing. Anyway, she looks very feminine to me, and I don't see any "manly" features - she has slim shoulders, arms, and wrists.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't she have biological children? If she were actually a male, she wouldn't have been able to have kids.

And I also think she's hot - if I looked like her, I wouldn't complain.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bthyb:
Doesn't she have biological children? If she were actually a male, she wouldn't have been able to have kids.

According to Wikipedia, she has two adopted children.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Nothing to do with nothing" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It took real guts for Jamie Lee Curtis to have that article published of her in her sports bra, without any airbrushing. I kinda love her for having the tenacity to do that and to show herself so honestly. [Big Grin] Have any other female sex-symbol types done similar things to sort of break down the illusion?

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone who thinks that gender-reassignment surgery is detected by mannish features should do an image search on Caroline Cossey (Warning: Search may be NSFW and NFBSK). She was feminine looking enough to be a Bond Girl and appear in Playboy.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
She was feminine looking enough to be a Bond Girl and appear in Playboy.

She was feminine looking enough to be an unnamed character in a bikini appearing briefly in a Bond film along with ten other actresses. I'm not sure that's enough to earn her the title of Bond Girl.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm at a loss. I don't know how to define "mannish".

What are we looking at? Face? Hair? Eyes? Shoulders? Torso? Gestalt?

I may be missing the obvious, but I don't see it.

It's not like she's Boy George.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This webpage has a gallery of women who have gone through a male to female transition at some point in their lives, I find that the majority of them do not look "mannish" at all. They mostly all look like beautiful women to me.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy George is not a particularly manly sort anyway, even when dressed as a man.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Anyone who thinks that gender-reassignment surgery is detected by mannish features should do an image search on Caroline Cossey (Warning: Search may be NSFW and NFBSK). She was feminine looking enough to be a Bond Girl and appear in Playboy.

Just to clarify- i'm not of that opinion.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
HIJACK!
This messsage is for Brandi and all my fellow snopesters.
Seems my friend was upset about the reply I made to Pogue Mahone concerning Jamie Lee Curtis and decided to send me a nasty PM. This is fine because I love to be flamed but all I ask is this: If you feel the need to flame please do so on the Message Boards. If you feel it must be private then at least allow me to respond before blocking me from sending you a PM back. It is only fair.
Flaming is acceptable(to me) but cowardice is not.

Thank you and you may now proceed with the current thread.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regardless of the accuracy or not of "mannishness" as a marker for gender re-assignment (of which I have no knowledge and therefore no opinion)

I see nothing mannish about Jamie. She has a long thin face. Well, *I* have a long thin face and I don't happen to think I look mannish.

Kinda horsey maybe, but not mannish.

Also I think Jamie is "hot" too, and I think she's a lovely human being, which is kinda rare these days and it seems especially so among celebrities.

She's certainly more ladylike (in the good way) than Britney, Paris and so forth could ever dream of being.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sharpened Steel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharpened Steel   E-mail Sharpened Steel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand what the big deal is. What does it matter if she used to be a man or not? Does that really have anything to do with who she is as a person or an actor? Personally, I think she is a great actor and it has nothing to do with her gender.

--------------------
Get used to his bad habits and decide whether you can put up with them...the rest of your life. 'Cause if you don't, then one day, you find yourself in the shed, sharpening the axe and idly wondering how thick the human skull really is.
-ChickyBee

Posts: 64 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island/Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Jamie Lee Curtis is a very cool person, she has a beautiful body, but I never thought she had a "classically" beautiful face. I never thought of her features as being "mannish," I thought of her as having a lantern jaw. But it all really works for her. She is attractive in her own way that most of the male posters here have identified as "babetude." [Wink]

I doubt that she had ambiguous genitalia as a child. Even if this had been so and she had been "changed" to female, she would still not have "mannish" features. I could see an adult going from male to female retaining a masculine appearance post surgery, but I don't think the same would be likely for an infant. The only real visible physical difference in infants and young children before puberty is genitalia.

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How did we get onto the idea that Jamie Lee was originally a man? (Not you Sylvanz). The OP asked if she was a hermaphrodite at birth - "an individual in which reproductive organs of both sexes are present," according to Dictionary.com.

If a hermaphrodite/intersex person were to have genital surgery, would it really be sexual "reassignment"? Wouldn't it be sexual assignment? (A quick Google search shows that term apparently is used.)

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa, I seem to have set off a bit of a flamefest! I for one never meant to imply that the "mannishness" I perceive in JLC's face precludes beauty. To me, her prominent jaw, sharp nose, and smallish eyes don't seem traditionally "feminine." Add to that her athletic (albeit well-endowed) frame and short haircut--and a heaping helping of silly hermaphrodite rumors--and I find myself able to look at JLC, imagine her done up as a man, and muse fleetingly, "Hmmm, maybe it's true."

Obviously, although scientists have identified certain types of facial features that are widely considered masculine and feminine (see, for instance this article), an individual's opinion on where a particular woman's face falls on the "mannish" scale is subjective. Personally, I think "mannishness" can look different on different people. I look nothing like JLC--I have large, round eyes and a button nose--but I consider myself a bit masculine looking because of my large head and square face. If I see a photo of myself with too much makeup on, I always think, "Oh my, I look like a man in drag." And no, that doesn't mean I'm ugly. I'm no JLC, but I don't think I'm unattractive.

For those who have asked, "What does it matter whether she was born a hermaphrodite?" the answer is, of course, "It doesn't." People like to speculate about celebrities because it's fun. A little mean, yes...but fun. I don't hear anyone saying that the rumor, if true, would mean JLC is a bad person. Sounds like a lot of people here share my opinion that she's awesome. I think she's funny and talented and down-to-earth, and she gets 5,000 Bonus Cool Points for being married to Christopher Guest.

Oh, and Tony Curtis? Is freaking nuts. His bringing up the Jamie Lee secret, only to dismiss his own comment with a statement that it's no one's business, is just one more confirmation for me that he is a loony old man.

Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
So, you're allowed to think she's a babe, but if someone doesn't think that, then they're a moron? [Confused]

That, of course, is nothing close to what I said or posted. How did you manage to read that into it? The point I made was that comparing Jamie Lee Curtis to Andre the Giant is a conspicuously absurd statement.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Pogue, I was the one compared to Andre the Giant. Jamie Lee was compared to a bog monster. I will agree that both are conspicuously absurd statements, though.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Actually, Pogue, I was the one compared to Andre the Giant. Jamie Lee was compared to a bog monster. I will agree that both are conspicuously absurd statements, though.

I stand corrected on the first point. I agree wholeheartedly on your second.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To paraphrase Monty Python...

"This thread has gotten rather silly."
"Shall we end it then?"
"Alright."

Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UEL:
Gestalt?

Gehzundheit!

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nion:
If someone was far more mannish-looking than Jamie Lee Curtis, then surely they'd look like Andre the Giant."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the most absurd statement I've seen on snopes in quite a while. If you really believe that, you're a flipping moron with no sense of beauty.

Jamie Lee Curtis is a babe.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jessboo:
So, you're allowed to think she's a babe, but if someone doesn't think that, then they're a moron?

That, of course, is nothing close to what I said or posted. How did you manage to read that into it? The point I made was that comparing Jamie Lee Curtis to Andre the Giant is a conspicuously absurd statement.

What did you mean, then?. The original quote wasn't comparing JLC to Andre the Giant, it said if someone was far more mannish than her then they'd look like Andre the giant. Which could be perfectly true- there are a lot of mannish looking women out there, far more so than JLC is.
The person who said JLC was mannish just has a different perception of beauty to you. It doesn't make them a moron. It doesn't mean they have 'no sense of beauty'.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages