snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Jamie Lee Curtis Truth? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Jamie Lee Curtis Truth?
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom and I were watching TV last night and Jamie Lee Cutris came on and I asked her if she had ever heard the rumor that Jamie was a hermaphrodite at birth. My mom maintains that it's absolutely true. She says that a friend of hers is friends with Jamie's doctor or something and he performed the sex change/sex surgery on Jamie Lee when she was younger. I was just wondering how questionable this information is, because as a doctor wouldn't he not be able to tell anyone about Jamie Lee? Anyway my mom is convinced that it's true.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If your mother believes what a friend of a friend of the doctor told her, I doubt there is much you can do to convice her otherwise.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
videoguy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for videoguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jamie.htm
Posts: 16 | From: New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What GenYus said, but she looks all girl to me.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Videoguy but I have seen that...I just don't know if I should doubt it or not when my mom says she has a reliable source.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My pat response to people who asserted that the Richard Gere/gerbil rumor was true (because they knew someone who was "there") was to muse that Cedars-Sinai must have the best-staffed medical facility in the world, because apparently their emergency room had hundreds of doctors and several thousand nurses on duty the evening that Richard Gere showed up.

Likewise, either Jamie Lee Curtis has been operated on by a couple of hundred doctors, or one surgeon has made a career out of blabbing about the private details of one of his high-profile patients (with any recriminations).

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
Thanks Videoguy but I have seen that...I just don't know if I should doubt it or not when my mom says she has a reliable source.

~Monica

Says being the operative word. She says she knows a guy who knows a guy who knows the doctor. That's not just FOAF it's FOAFOAF. Also, if the guy were telling the truth more people than your mom would have heard about it (heard about it for real, not just UL style) and the doctor probably would have been sued. I'm not saying your mom is a liar, but perhaps she's friends with one.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

~Monica

Actually, your mom says her friend has a reliable source. And I bet if you asked your mom's friend, it would turn out that the doctor was actually a friend of your mom's friend's friend.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

~Monica

If a Snopes.com ULRpage can not make you doubt your mother's source, I'm not sure we lot can help you find the answer you are looking for.

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She says that a friend of hers is friends with Jamie's doctor or something and he performed the sex change/sex surgery on Jamie Lee when she was younger. I was just wondering how questionable this information is, because as a doctor wouldn't he not be able to tell anyone about Jamie Lee?
Yes. As snopes and others have pointed out, this is ethically indefensible both personally and professionally. Also, more to the point, why's he wasting time blabbing to random friends when he could be retiring on the proceeds of a National Enquirer exclusive?

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an interesting interview with Tony Curtis in The Times a few months ago, in which he talks about Jamie Lee (see about 3/4 of the way down). For what it's worth (he could be talking about anything), he mentions "a secret in Jamie that I can’t disclose” which leads to a meeting between the interviewer and a lawyer regarding "off the record" comments.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, even if it were true it doesn't change the fact that Jamie Lee Curtis is gorgeous, talented and seems like a geniunely nice and fun person. So frankly I don't care about the once or present state of her genitalia

ETA: w

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone just sets it up, I'll be happy to volonteer to do a detailed investigation of her genital status. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
If someone just sets it up, I'll be happy to volonteer to do a detailed investigation of her genital status. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Maybe you could convince her to be "trendy" like Britney, Paris, Lindsey, etc. and wear a short miniskirt with no underwear.

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by asnakeny:
Maybe you could convince her to be "trendy" like Britney, Paris, Lindsey, etc. and wear a short miniskirt with no underwear.

Which would hardly be a detailed inspection. It's not easy to tell the difference between naturally developed genitals and those that are the result of vaginoplasty. You really would require a very detailed examination by a professional.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure her husband, Christopher Guest, has already examined that area, so perhaps you should ask him. As if it really mattered.
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if it's true, but my genetics/developmental anatomy professor keeps mentioning that about Jamie Lee Curtis in every class I've had with him. He mentions it as fact (and also keeps mentioning that he likes her a lot.) No clue what his sources are though.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She's extremely attractive, but I always thought that UL was made more believable by the fact that Jamie Lee has rather mannish features. Not that that proves a darn thing. My own features are a bit masculine, and as far as I know I've been female my entire life.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jamie Lee has mannish features? She's far more feminine-looking than I ever will be.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No offense intended Cervus, but if Jamie Lee Curtis is more feminine-looking than you ever will be, then you must resemble Andre the Giant.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Prefacing something with "No offense" doesn't actually make it less offensive. It usually only indicates that you know it's insulting/offensive/rude but are going to say it anyhow.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think either Cervus or Jaime Lee Curtis have mannish features.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
Prefacing something with "No offense" doesn't actually make it less offensive. It usually only indicates that you know it's insulting/offensive/rude but are going to say it anyhow.

The way I intend it, and the way I hope people would take it, is "I in no way intend for this to be offensive, but there is a chance you might take it that way. If that is the case, I really wish you wouldn't, but I wanted to make an extreme example of why X really is Y to me."

Replace X with Jamie Lee and Y with manly.

I have never seen a picture of Cervus, but I'm sure she makes Jamie Lee look like a bog monster.

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nion:
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:

The way I intend it, and the way I hope people would take it, is "I in no way intend for this to be offensive, but there is a chance you might take it that way. If that is the case, I really wish you wouldn't, but I wanted to make an extreme example of why X really is Y to me."

Replace X with Jamie Lee and Y with manly.

If you truly don't wish to offend Cervus, why use her name to make your point about Jamie Lee? Why not compare Jamie Lee to someone else? Why not use the Andre the Giant comparison and leave Cervus out of it?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Because Cervus stated "Jamie Lee has mannish features? She's far more feminine-looking than I ever will be."

This led me to the following thought: If someone was far more mannish-looking than Jamie Lee Curtis, then surely they'd look like Andre the Giant."

I apologize if I offended anyone. I will say it would be nice if everyone would stop thinking the worst of everyone, and/or taking offense at something at the drop of a hat. *sigh*

--------------------

Bad Ronald
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Ronald   E-mail Bad Ronald   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I apologize if I offended anyone. I will say it would be nice if everyone would stop thinking the worst of everyone, and/or taking offense at something at the drop of a hat. *sigh*

No offense, but that's the most self-serving, insincere apology I've ever seen. You've managed to insult one my favorite snopesters, one of my favorite actresses and my all-time favorite wrestler in one post. You then lecture us on how we should behave and show mock surprise when many of us are offended. And to top it off, you use the miserable, self-pitying *sigh* at the end to show your world-weariness of all the rest of the thin-skinned world.

--------------------
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.
Winston Churchill

Posts: 821 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was vaguely offended that you apparently think that Jamie Lee is so mannish as to resemble a bog monster. I always found her quite lovely, and to be honest I think she and my mother look a bit alike. (Also, based on what I've seen of Jamie Lee in interviews and casual stuff, she reminds me quite a bit of my mother in personality, too.)

Not that me being vaguely offended over that was really your fault. It was more that I took it as a completely illogical oblique slight against my mother.

I do think it's rather rude to compare her to a bog monster, though.

Aimee "I'm fairly certain she doesn't have tentacles, for one..." Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not offended, but I think it's rather stupid to compare Jamie Lee Curtis to a "bog monster" or to presume I must look like Andre the Giant when you admit you've never seen a picture of me. I think Nion's insulted Jamie Lee more than he's insulted me.

Anyway:

I don't think Jamie Lee Curtis has mannish features and I've always been surprised when people use this claim to back their assertion of her sex change. I consider her features more feminine than my own. She has a small head, narrow nose, and tapered chin. I have a large head, large nose, and square chin. Perhaps it's the short hair that makes people think she has masculine features, but I was thinking more along the lines of her facial structure. It appears quite feminine to me, but there's lots of XX females who have "masculine" facial features, and vice verse. I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder, though. It still has no bearing on someone's biological genetalia.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My mom and I were watching TV last night and Jamie Lee Cutris came on and I asked her if she had ever heard the rumor that Jamie was a hermaphrodite at birth. My mom maintains that it's absolutely true. She says that a friend of hers is friends with Jamie's doctor or something and he performed the sex change/sex surgery on Jamie Lee when she was younger. I was just wondering how questionable this information is, because as a doctor wouldn't he not be able to tell anyone about Jamie Lee? Anyway my mom is convinced that it's true.

~Monica

I once had a blind date with a nurse from New Brunswick, NJ. She claimed that the doctor she worked with knew the doctor who performed the sex change operation on Miss Curtis. This was back in 1995(when I first heard this UL). For a fleeting moment I believed it because I always thought Jamie Lee Curtis had manish features. The rational part of me knew it was an UL.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because Cervus stated "Jamie Lee has mannish features? She's far more feminine-looking than I ever will be."

This led me to the following thought: If someone was far more mannish-looking than Jamie Lee Curtis, then surely they'd look like Andre the Giant."

But you didn't just think it, or even blurt it out in conversation: you typed it and posted it to a message board. You are in no way compelled to express every thought you have; if you choose to do so, accept the consequences.

quote:
It would also be nice if people would accept the consequences of their thoughtless posting instead of acting as if they're being persecuted. *sigh*

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If someone was far more mannish-looking than Jamie Lee Curtis, then surely they'd look like Andre the Giant."

This is one of the most absurd statement I've seen on snopes in quite a while. If you really believe that, you're a flipping moron with no sense of beauty.

Jamie Lee Curtis is a babe.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Turban Legend
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Turban Legend         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummmmm......this whole argument offends me? Also, I hope the use of the "question mark" does not offend anyone.
Posts: 36 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo

Icon 16 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:
If someone was far more mannish-looking than Jamie Lee Curtis, then surely they'd look like Andre the Giant."

This is one of the most absurd statement I've seen on snopes in quite a while. If you really believe that, you're a flipping moron with no sense of beauty.

Pogue

I think you are a flipping moron with no sense of beauty for thinking Jamie Lee Curtis is a babe! Geesh

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't a woman be a babe and still have features that may have some mannish components? Mannishness doesn't preclude beauty.

I have a female friend who's 6'2" and, I feel, strikingly beautiful. Yet when Halloween comes, sometimes people think she is a man in drag walking the streets of Waikiki. She is offended but, in a way, I can see where they get that in her facial features.

Drag queens in full make-up can look goregeous but when you look carefully, you can see the mannishness too.

Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
quote:

Pogue

So, you're allowed to think she's a babe, but if someone doesn't think that, then they're a moron? [Confused]

I think she's a bit mannish, too. And I have to admit that when I read Cervus' comment, I did think "oh, don't put yourself down". I can see what (sorry, i don't have a name here because half the page hasn't loaded, but) the person-who-said-about Andre the Giant meant. If you think someone is mannish and someone else says the mannish person is more feminine than them, it does give the impression that they think of themselves as unattractive. Even if they don't.
Confusing much?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages