snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Bob Dylan & Ian Tyson

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bob Dylan & Ian Tyson
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I had heard years ago that Bob Dylan and Ian Tyson were doing an
open mike at one of New York City's folk clubs and discussed current songs
they were writing. They discovered they were both writing songs with
lyrics relating to 'wind'in them. Dylan's was ready and debuted "Blowin In
The Wind" that night and a couple of nights later Ian
Tyson debuted "Four Strong Winds". True or False?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The original versions of each song were released at about the same time, and I think Ian and Sylvia came to New York at around the same time Dylan did. They even recorded a Dylan song that he didn't release himself, "Tomorrow Is A Long Time." So it could be true, but I've never heard that one before.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise:
They even recorded a Dylan song that he didn't release himself, "Tomorrow Is A Long Time."

It's on Greatest Hits, Vol. 2.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I meant he didn't release it at the time, but you're right, he did eventually put it out.

ETA: I remembered something else. In the liner notes to the album on which their version of "Tomorrow..." appears (it's either Four Strong Winds or Northern Journey, I can't recall which offhand), Tyson refers to "Bob" by his first name. That might suggest that they knew each other, although you mostly hear people who really do know Dylan personally refer to him as "Bobby", or at least they did back then.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[slight hijack]When Radio 1 did their show of 50 Tracks Canada, the number 1 Canadian song was voted to be "Four Strong Winds"[/hijack]

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack continued] TwoGuys, you wouldn't know where I could get a list of all 50 tracks, would you? I like that song a lot and would be interested in seeing what it beat out.[/hijack]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolument!

50 Tracks the CanCon Edition

Radio 1's original 50 Tracks

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages