snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Pop tune entitled "Timothy"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pop tune entitled "Timothy"
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was living in Honolulu six years ago, I heard on an "oldies" radio station about a song entitled "Timothy" sung by a group called "The Bowies." It was released in 1971, but only lasted a short while. It was reported to be about cannibalism. A guy calls for Timothy, "Where are you?" And it says that his "friend" was eaten by hungry humans. However, someone called into the radio station that the "friend" named Timothy who was consumed was actually a burro. But more recently I heard a "deejay" on another "oldies" radio station that broadcasts out of Moberly, Missouri, say that this song IS about cannibalism. Problem is, the accoustics on this rock song are so loud they sort of drowned out the lyrics.

Was the song about cannibalism?

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brienne
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brienne   E-mail Brienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some song meaning website forums you could look up. Only one that comes to mind is songmeanings.net if it's running.
Posts: 4 | From: Hollywood, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brienne

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brienne   E-mail Brienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here I found something:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2005

"I had seen the movie Suddenly Last Summer about a week earlier on TV, and it had a revelation about cannibalism in it, and I thought, If it's good enough for Tennessee Williams, it's good enough for The Buoys. So I thought, Cannibalism during a mining disaster, that'll get banned. It's not like I'm really telling people to go out and eat someone, this is just this dark, horrible thing that happened in this story. So I write this lyric: 'Timothy, Timothy, where on Earth did you go?' It's about three boys who are trapped in a mine with water but no food for maybe a week. When they're pulled free, they don't remember what happened, but they know they're not hungry. One of them is missing, and that's Timothy. We record this on the weekend and I don't think about it again."

Posts: 4 | From: Hollywood, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IT was by "The Buoys"

"Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Were Joe and me

Timothy, Timothy, where on earth did you go?
Timothy, Timothy, God why don't I know?

Hungry as hell no food to eat
And Joe said that he would sell his soul
For just a piece of meat
Water enough to drink for two
And Joe said to me, "I'll have a swig
And then there's some for you."

Timothy, Timothy, Joe was looking at you
Timothy, Timothy, God what did we do?

I must have blacked out just around then
'Cause the very next thing that I could see
Was the light of the day again
My stomach was full as it could be
And nobody ever got around
To finding Timothy
Timothy... "

What do you think?

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Crow (After Joel "explains the Pina Colada song" and how Rupert Holmes wrote about popular culture in his songs): Hey! Rupert Holmes wrote "Timothy"! That's about cannibalism! When was that popular?
Joel : Crow, it's a well known fact that Timothy was a duck.
Crow: Wha...?
Tom: Let's review here..."Hungry as hell"..."Gee, that leg looks swell"...

Man, the "What's the deal with the Pina Colada song?" skit is one of my favorite bits from MST3K.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, Trish, you beat me to it. That is a great host segment, though.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love MST3000, but that song always creeped me out.

I call Baldric on your sig, Karmyn!

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The lyrics don't say anything directly about the two surviving miners eating Timothy. So apparently it's all open-ended. The narrator says his stomach felt full, but there was no sign of Timothy. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they ate him.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, he could just be hiding in the narrator's stomach. [fish]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reread the link in Brienne's post, Barbara R. It has a description from the song's author (who's being quoted in Brienne's post). Reading the full page helps to understand the point of cannibalism better.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember that song well. Such a creepy idea. But being only 9 at the time it was released, my friends and I would just smile and say, "Eeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!!"

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yes, I remember that song. There was another really creepy one, called D.O.A. if I remember correctly (NOT the one by the Foo Fighters), about a bad car accident. Ugh.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
velvetcactus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velvetcactus   Author's Homepage   E-mail velvetcactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Oh, yes, I remember that song. There was another really creepy one, called D.O.A. if I remember correctly (NOT the one by the Foo Fighters), about a bad car accident. Ugh.

It's by Bloodrock
Posts: 43 | From: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CU84
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CU84   E-mail CU84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't "Wooden Ships" by CSN&Y also about cannibalism?

What a tasty tune!

Ummm, did research and
Actually no...so never mind, please.

Posts: 10 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone should start a thread about the creepiest hit songs of all time.

Well don't look at me, someone else start it.

Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And whoever does should include "Invisible" by Clay Aiken, otherwise known as the theme song to Hollow Man. "If I was invisible I'd watch you in your room" "I'd make you mine tonight" Double you tee eff? That's well creepy.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gift-wrapped smittykins
Deck the Malls

Icon 81 posted      Profile for gift-wrapped smittykins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by velvetcactus:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

It's by Bloodrock
You're right about the artist, but the song's about a plane crash, not a car accident. It is at least 47 kinds of creepy, though.

Wikipedia

--------------------
"We're all entitled to a few eccentricities, provided they don't harm anyone, break the law, or cause a public nuisance"--James Qwilleran, The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell(Lillian Jackson Braun)
Member AAMAH

Posts: 352 | From: Seneca Falls, NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages