snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Chihuahua!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chihuahua!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There is a popular nonsense song known as "Chihuahua!" When I was
in high school, there was a persistent rumour that, to avoid censorship,
the lyrics were changed at the last minute from "Tequila!" and the song is
actually about heavy drinking. Can you confirm or deny the truth of this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this refer to the Sugar Cubes song? If so, I doubt it was about tequila. I can't imagine Bjork singing about tequila, or, for that matter, changing a song to avoid censorship.

Anyway, what is so bad about Tequila that a song about it would need to be censored? There are plenty of songs about heavy drinking out there.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first song I thought of was "Tequila!" I wonder if this song was picked to be played for something at this person's high school (a band thing perhaps?) and they said Chihuahua instead. It seems odd that the person would have never heard the real version before or sonce though, as it's pretty popular.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck/Boston Charlie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Author's Homepage   E-mail RealityChuck/Boston Charlie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Tequilla" by the Champs was a #1 hit in 1958 -- it's just an instrumental with the group shouting out "Tequilla" from time to time.

It's possible that, with the neoprohibition madness in the US today, someone objected to "Tequilla" and the band changed the name.

Posts: 675 | From: Schenectady, NY | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a chihuahua version of the Tequila song. doo doo doo do-do, chihuahua! doo doo doo do-do, chihuahua! etc. It was by DJ Bobo. IIRC it was released in France a couple of years back.

Jess "oh tequila, it makes me happy" Boo

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages