snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Was Alfred Batman?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Was Alfred Batman?
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard this several times and I don't believe it- but-

In the 1960s TV Batman, Alan Napier played Alfred the butler. I have been told several times he also played Batman himself in old black and white movies, and that he played Superman. I am pretty sure the rumor he played Superman is false, but what about the Batman rumor? Any truth to this one?

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubtful, according to the Wikipedia article on Alan Napier, which includes this quote:
quote:
"I had never read comics before I [was hired for 'Batman']. My agent rang up and said, 'I think you are going to play on "Batman,"' I said 'What is "Batman"?' He said, 'Don't you read the comics?' I said, 'No, never.' He said, 'I think you are going to be Batman's butler.' I said, 'How do I know I want to be Batman's butler?' It was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard of. He said, 'It may be worth over $100,000.' So I said I was Batman's butler."

Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only B&W Batman movies that I know of were serials (The Batman and Batman and Robin) in the 1940s, but neither starred Napier according to IMDb.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of the TV episodes, however, Alfred did don a Batman outfit, to confuse one of the supervillains.

At least that's what he told the cops when the hooker called them to the motel.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As an old viewer of the Batman TV show, Alfred (Napier) did pretend to be Batman whenever Bruce Wayne (West) and Batman needed to be seen at the same time.

So, yes, he did "play Batman" but NO it was not before the show where he played Alfred.

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To even further confuse a legend, once Michael Gough (who plays Alfred in the Tim Burton Batman movies) said that he found it funny working for Batman in the movie, as during WWII he was a batman (an aide assigned to a British officer. Pretty much an "Alfred"!).

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rogue:
As an old viewer of the Batman TV show, Alfred (Napier) did pretend to be Batman whenever Bruce Wayne (West) and Batman needed to be seen at the same time.

So, yes, he did "play Batman" but NO it was not before the show where he played Alfred.

That's how I remember it.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages