snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Franz Liszt's broken fingers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Franz Liszt's broken fingers
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My anthropology instructor mentioned the other day that Franz Liszt "had his fingers broken so no one else could play like him". Now, it seems pretty obvious that this is not true (how would it even work?) but I have no idea where he got this from. I can't seem to find any sort of reference to this anywhere online. Does anyone know where he might have gotten an idea like this? (Or how having your fingers broken would allow you to play piano substantially differently than anyone else?)

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the instructor meant broken and reset in a different way (couldn't tell if that's what you meant.) I'd ask your teacher for his/her source on this. It sounds like a UL to me. I don't know any pianist, organist, or instrumentalist of any kind who would ever injure themselves on purpose! Even if they THOUGHT it could help them be unique or better in any way. Kinda weird...

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The great guitarist Les Paul was in a rather nasty accident in the 1950s in which, among other injuries broke his left arm rather badly. When it came time for the doctor to set it, they knew he wasn't going to have full motion of his arm again, so Les Paul asked for him to set his arm so that he could continue playing guitar.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An Anacdote in David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas mentions Liszt broke his fingers when trying to strengthening them by hanging weights off them in an attempt to make his hands stronger.

It's a novel but it sounds like this is a legend related to the OP.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe that is it, Red Squirrel. The instructor may have read the novel or heard it somewhere and corrupted the story. He is not always factual; he spouts a lot of half truths, misconceptions, and ULs.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I've heard about Liszt is that he had a much longer reach than most and that, because of this, Chopin couldn't play his music exactly as written. This, as you know, may or may not be true, but my music teacher said it was.

TwoGuys, I'm sure you know the old joke.
"Will I be able to play the violin, doctor?"
"Yes."
"Wonderful! I couldn't play it before my accident."
[fish] Never mind. I got it.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwoGuyswithaHat:
The great guitarist Les Paul was in a rather nasty accident in the 1950s in which, among other injuries broke his left arm rather badly. When it came time for the doctor to set it, they knew he wasn't going to have full motion of his arm again, so Les Paul asked for him to set his arm so that he could continue playing guitar.

[nitpick]
It was his right elbow that was injured and he had it set slightly bent so that he could still reach the strings on his quitar with his right hand.
[/nitpick]

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages