snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Most impossible game boss ever? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Most impossible game boss ever?
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Forge Boss in the final scene of Star Trek: Elite Force.

Not only is he butt-ugly, but he's tough as nails. I know you're supposed to shower him with hundreds of grenades, but as soon as he returns fire, you're cooked. I confess I gave up after getting killed 20 times - that was becoming boring.

If someone has a tip...

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not only is he butt-ugly
Only dogs deserve to be called butt ugly, how dare you call a video game character that! You're clearly biased!

Sorry Major, that's snark from an old debate that those two words brought to mind that you probably don't even know about. It wasn't really directed at you, but just as a little snark towards some others who were involved. Not to mention I got a disgusting and abusive email today on that very topic (that they apparently read while lurking) from someone whom I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt as not being a snopester.

PS: And just so my post in somewhat useful! Perhaps one of these will help (wasn't sure if you meant Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force or Star Trek: Elite Force 2):

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/elite_force_b.txt

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/elite_force_2.txt

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Midgard Dragon,

No offense meant - and sorry to hear you've been trolled - I was thinking "butt-ugly" as in "butt-ugly martians"... the Forge Boss being clearly from another world (and *very* ugly at that), I thought the expression might apply to him. [Wink]

Of course, I was speaking of Star Trek Voyager : Elite Force. I have printed a complete hints and tips document, which gives the method to defeat the final boss (he must be hit with 150 grenades or so), but the problem is I don't know how to avoid his devastating fire. There must be a safe corner in the arena, or maybe I'm supposed to jump. I really don't know.

I also have the second game, but I havent got very far yet.

BTW, thanks for the links. I'm not very fond of cheat codes, but as I'd really like to know what happens in the end, I'll consider using the god mode or the invulnerability. [Cool]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote goes to Sinistar. I play it quite a bit on an emulator & I still haven't killed that prick!

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My recollection of the hardest boss I've ever faced in a game is the final boss from Tenchu II.
I can't even remember his name, and I was only 10 when I faced him, but I recall he was so difficult for me to kill.

However, I have been finding the skulls in Halo 2 and I fought the prophet Regret after getting the Mythic skull enabled on legendary. If you do not know about the skulls they are easter eggs that either add different properties to the game, like doubling the strength of game physics or making all enemies invisible. The purpose of the Mythic skull is to make the game even harder than legendary but I found that all the bosses were just about the same as their legendary counterparts except one: Regret.
Defeating Regret and his minions on Mythic is incredibly hard, I am not sure how to beat him on Mythic, but I know of people who have. I don't think Mythic Regret counts though, since the difficulty level is an easter egg. BUT,if you want to be fustrated and angry just find the Mythic skull and fight Regret.

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quttaus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quttaus   E-mail Quttaus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone besides me a City of Heroes fan?

They have a boss in that game called Hamidon, who is basically an amoeba the size of a mountain. To beat him, you need roughly 100 or so players helping you.

And you still have to be verrrrry careful how you attack him, or you got what we called the "yellow death", where Hamidon would spawn a monster for each hero attacking him (meaning the lot of you would get slaughtered in a heartbeat).

One Hamidon raid I participated in lasted almost 3 hours. Beating him was just insanely hard.

--------------------
"Hey! Let go of me before something horrible happens to me! OR ELSE!"
--Invader Zim

Posts: 92 | From: Southern NJ | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quttaus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quttaus   E-mail Quttaus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Video waffles.

--------------------
"Hey! Let go of me before something horrible happens to me! OR ELSE!"
--Invader Zim

Posts: 92 | From: Southern NJ | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Quttaus:
Anyone besides me a City of Heroes fan?

They have a boss in that game called Hamidon, who is basically an amoeba the size of a mountain. To beat him, you need roughly 100 or so players helping you.

There's a similarly difficult boss in World of Warcraft called Lord Kazzak. He's basically a 30-ft tall demon with a few significant properties:
1) He only spawns once a day IIRC, so any group wanting to fight him has to be there at the right time, organized or some other group will try.
2) He's in a PvP zone, so you often have to fight off other PC's just to get to him.
3) Once you are fighting with him, he will not stop chasing you until you die (more on this in a second).
4) If he kills ANY pc, in your group or not, he heals to nearly full health (Players from the opposite faction would often sacrifice themselves in order to screw your team over)
5) If you don't drop him in 3 minutes, he goes berserk and launches enourmous volleys of undodgeable shadow bolts that will kill most underarmored players in one hit.

Essentially, you have to catch him under the perfect situation, with a well-organized, hard0hitting group to have a change of killing him. When he was first released, some mischevious Horde players led him all the way to Stormwind, the Human capital city. He essentially slaughtered his way through the entire city, killing some of the most powerful NPC's in the game along the way. The Game Masters finally had to come in and restore order.

YouTube video of the carnage.

--------------------
"DEAR APPALLED: I see no harm in a group of young women playing strip poker at an all-girl slumber party." -Dear Abby

Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool. Imagine if that was your first day playing. "Man, this game is hard!"

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
yamkaof
Make Me a Fire Love

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yamkaof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one of the hardest game bosses ever is the "Master" of the Ancient Cave in Lufia 2 - Rise of the Sinistrals on the SNES. I know it is only a sidequest, but really hard. When you enter the cave, all your characters start at level 1 and no weapons/armor. You have to fight through 98 levels to get to the master. Problem is, that he has around 10,000 hitpoints and you have exactly 3 rounds of attack to beat him. Maybe it's worth to mention, you can't save anywhere on those levels.

--------------------
"We, as a coalition are[...]judged by what was said during the election campaigns, that's not fair" - German Vice-Chancellor Muentefering Sep 2006

Posts: 10 | From: Germany, unfortunately | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think many of the older games were harder just because of user interface issues. Controllers were not nearly so responsive and reliable as they are now.

I've found all the Final Fantasy games to be quite easy (although still enjoyable imo). However, I'm one of those people who levels up at least one character to 99 by the end.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Zelda II? Really? That was the adventures of link, right?

Huh. I didn't find that very hard at all.

Of course, that was probably the last time I played a game to its completion. Well except maybe the n64 mario.

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: Ooops.

I'd have to nominate the final boss of Bionic Commando.

Not only do you have to swing at just the right angle, but you only have one shot to get in some exactly small space in the cockpit of a huge mech.

Strangely enough, the driver of the mech is Hitler. Bizzare.

I remember trying this day after day after day after day.

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In Ragnarok Online there is a boss,wich is actually a group of bosses known as the Advanced Doppelgangers.They are a groups of monsters who look like Advanced Class characers,wich are the most powerful characters in the game and they use the same skills as well.Now above having very high stats and reponse times,the reasons they are nearly impossible to kill are

1 : Only one of them among the group is the actual boss,the other being spawned cohorts.If you kill one of the spawns,it come right back at full health.

2 : It uses the same skills as players but only with more power and none of the limitations the players have.For example,a Wizard casting Jupiter Thunder does a maximum of 12 hits while the Doppelganger Wizard will do 20 hits,wich is pretty much instant kill.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
Midgard Dragon,

No offense meant - and sorry to hear you've been trolled - I was thinking "butt-ugly" as in "butt-ugly martians"... the Forge Boss being clearly from another world (and *very* ugly at that), I thought the expression might apply to him. [Wink]

Of course, I was speaking of Star Trek Voyager : Elite Force. I have printed a complete hints and tips document, which gives the method to defeat the final boss (he must be hit with 150 grenades or so), but the problem is I don't know how to avoid his devastating fire. There must be a safe corner in the arena, or maybe I'm supposed to jump. I really don't know.

I also have the second game, but I havent got very far yet.

BTW, thanks for the links. I'm not very fond of cheat codes, but as I'd really like to know what happens in the end, I'll consider using the god mode or the invulnerability. [Cool]

Haha, don't worry about it. I was just being mischievious.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eternalsaturn:
There was a Japan only Famicom (NES) game where the final boss actually required somewhere around 20,000 hits to kill it. IIRC, the entire game was done half as a joke and was intentionally made to be near-impossible and ridiculously frustrating.

Here's a Wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeshi_no_Chousenjou

Gotta love those games that are put out just to make fun of games. I remember reading about "Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors" in EGM and thinking that it sounded awesome. I didn't have a Sega CD, but I thought the concept of "Desert Bus" was hilarious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Teller%27s_Smoke_and_Mirrors

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been playing old games, and have been reminded of one of the most impossible bosses ever - the Cyberdemon from Doom II. He's big, he's fast, he fires an endless stream of rockets at you, and takes more than 6 hits from the BFG (which you can't aim at him because it takes too long to charge up, and you get hit by the missiles) to kill. The Spider Mastermind is far easier.

I've never encountered a tactic that works, other than "activate the invincibility cheat".

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only learned on Wikipedia last week that the Commodore 64 version of Rastan really WAS unbeatable - a development glitch made one of the platform jumps absolutely impossible. I remember it well, it was on the ice level. All those hours of frustration wondering what Iwas doing wrong *sigh*...
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages