snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Titles That Didn't Smell as Sweet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Titles That Didn't Smell as Sweet
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The arts and the media are filled with works conceived with different names. Margaret Mitchell thought about calling her novel of the Old South "Tote the Weary Load," "Not in Our Stars" or "Bugles Sang True" before settling on "Gone With the Wind." The editor Jann Wenner originally wanted to call Rolling Stone The Electric Newspaper. The creators of "Monty Python’s Flying Circus" seriously considered "Owl Stretching Time," "The Toad Elevating Moment" and "Bunn, Wackett, Buzzard, Stubble and Boot" for their brainchild.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/13/weekinreview/13basic.html?ex=1313121600&en=b7375701ee15eff8&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The creators of "Monty Python’s Flying Circus" seriously considered "Owl Stretching Time,".
Ah but if the did we would now be reading a piece that said Owl stretching time seriously considered calling themselves monty python's flying circus.
Familiarity breeds acceptance and it would of been a success whatever they called it.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The rest of the article is also quite interesting
quote:
Mr. Brown believes that the entertainment industry is currently in a naming slump. “Movie titles baffle me now because they’re watered down,” he said. “A title must be different and even crazy. You can’t mistake ‘Spamalot’ for anything else, even if you don’t know what it means. But ‘Bewitched’? Forget about it.”
I am quite confused by this - 'Spamalot' is simply one unimportant line in one song in MP and the Holy Grail; it isn't even delivered by one of the cast. On the other hand 'Bewitched' is based on a well known TV show, so most people would be familiar with it.

The other thing is that the audience id diferent, as is the marketing. Few people would go to a stage musical without at least doing some research, whereas a big movie has a big advertising budget as you have potential daily audience of millions as opposed to a few thousand (admittedly with each audience member paying ten times as much)

Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Roger Ebert once answered a question from a reader about the practice of movie studios to replace original titles with more generic ones:

quote:
Q. There is a trend in Hollywood to come up with the blandest title possible. I understand that "Rocket Boys" was the original title for "October Sky," and "Dancing About Architecture" became "Playing By Heart" (worse yet, it could have been "If They Only Knew"). Bonnie Hunt's recent comedy was titled an uninspiring "Return to Me." Don't studios realize that audiences are attracted to exciting titles that reflect the nature of the movie? Even simple titles like "The Abyss" and "L.A. Confidential" are not going to be confused with other movies, unlike the titles "Extreme Measures" or "Maximum Risk"--who is going to remember what those were about? Huh? What is going on here? (Corey Whaley, Edmond OK)

A. Couldn't agree with you more. I'm especially confused by the Basic Fatal Syndrome: "Basic Instinct," "Fatal Attraction," "Fatal Instinct," "Fatal Beauty," "Instinct," etc. Here, on the other hand, are titles no one could confuse: "Being John Malkovich," "Shakespeare in Love," "Mighty Peking Man," "Mission to Mars," "Space Cowboys," "Perfect Storm." The most wrong-headed name change I can think of was when they took the wonderful "Cops Tips Waitress $2 Million" and changed it to "It Could Happen to You." Changing "Rocket Boys" to "October Sky" was almost as dumb. And the forgettable new title "Bring It On" was originally called "Cheer Fever" (although "Cheerleader Fever" would have been better still). By the way, "The Abyss" almost had its title changed because market research showed many people did not know what an abyss was.

I worked on the remake of The In-Laws, and it was shot under the title 'Til Death Do Us Part. There was an effort to not play it up as a remake. By the time we wrapped it was titled The Wedding Party; my crew duffel bag is inscribed with that title, and I saw a trailer for the movie named that as well. Of course, they gave up, eventually just admitted it was a remake and titled it as such.

Clerks 2 was announced as The Passion Of The Clerks. Kevin Smith changed it, I read that his online fans convinced him it would be a lame jokey title. And the comedy Mafia! was originally Jane Austen's Mafia, as there were a ton of Austen adaptations in theatres at the time. It was changed because, if I remember, they figured that the target audience wouldn't know who Jane Austen was.

Max "Serpentine!" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Python was also nearly titled "Cynthia Fellatio's Flying Circus"...

At one point, they considered "Gwen Dibley's Flying Circus", because they saw that name in a newspaper, and thought it would be funny if someone had their own show and they didn't know it!

What else - well, "Rocky Horror"'s working title was "They Came From Denton High", which Richard O'Brien intended as a drug joke, but then realized that it wouldn't actually make any sense!

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some that weren't mentioned:

"Apu's Wacky Friends Joy Time" -- "The Simpsons"
"Great Responsibility" -- "Spiderman"
"House to the Head" -- "The Wizard of Oz"
"Honey, I Hung the Munchkin" -- "The Wizard of Oz"
"Royale with Cheese" -- "Pulp Fiction"
"That Dang Shark" -- "Jaws"
"Take Two Aspirins and Die" -- "House"
"Hot Puppet Sex" -- "Avenue Q"
"Steerforth, the Prick" -- "David Copperfield"
"Okie Dokeys" -- "The Grapes of Wrath"
"Southern Discomfort" -- "The Sound and the Fury"

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
Python was also nearly titled "Cynthia Fellatio's Flying Circus"...

Not really (nearly titled, that is). They were playing around with loads of suggestions.
quote:

At one point, they considered "Gwen Dibley's Flying Circus", because they saw that name in a newspaper, and thought it would be funny if someone had their own show and they didn't know it!

One reason they didn't use it was that the real Gwen Dibley might have been offended.

Some other names that were concidered:
  • 1 2 3
  • It's Them!
  • Arthur Megapode's Flying Circus
  • The Horrible Earnest Megapode
  • The Panic Show
  • The Plastic Mac Show
  • Ow! It's Colin Plint!
  • Vaseline Review
  • Vaseline Parade
  • The Keen Show
  • Brian's Flying Circus
  • The Year of the Stoat
  • Cynthia Fellatio's Flying Circus
  • Owl Stretching Time
  • The Whizzo Easishow! (Guaranteed to last 1/2 hour! Money back if not!)
From: From Kim "Howard" Johnson's Life Before and After Monty Python. (source)

BTW I spent the last weekend reading a book called The Pythons' Autobiography by the Pythons. It's highy recommendable and a must for every pythonite.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bab5nutz
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bab5nutz   E-mail bab5nutz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone heard of the film 'Pacific Flight 121'? It's better known as 'Snakes on a Plane'
Posts: 101 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lazerus the duck:
Familiarity breeds acceptance and it would of been a success whatever they called it.

I agree with this. Star Trek is a dull, dull title, but it's done alright for itself. On the other end of the spectrum, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind did alright.

The Arctic Monkeys is a stupid name for a band, but people accept it. There were bands in the 90s called "Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine", "Pop Will Eat Itself", "Ned's Atomic Dustbin" and "The New, Fast, Automatic Daffodils". None of those names sounded slightly strange once they were familiar.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a related note, is it true that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the American title of the first Harry Potter book, which is called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in England? The supposed assumption, probably true, was that American children wouldn't know what the philosopher's stone is.
Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:
On a related note, is it true that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the American title of the first Harry Potter book, which is called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in England? The supposed assumption, probably true, was that American children wouldn't know what the philosopher's stone is.

Yes, that's true. Here's theAmazon page for a British edition of the book.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Rivkah Chaya:

Yes, that's true. Here's theAmazon page for a British edition of the book.
It's called "...And The Philosopher's Stone" in Canada as well, as is the movie. I was actually visiting the States when the film was released and saw it down there with the "Sorcerer's Stone" title as my friends were seeing the other version up here. According to the imdb:
quote:
The movie is known as "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" everywhere except the USA and so every scene in which the Philosopher's Stone was mentioned was filmed twice, once with the actors saying "Philosopher's" and once with the actors saying "Sorcerer's".
Max "I shouldn't have said that. No more questions, don't ask any more questions!" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son claims that the next HP will be entitled "Snape's on a Train."

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

I thought it was "On the Road with the Joads"???

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 98 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some that weren't mentioned:

"Honey, I Hung the Munchkin" -- "The Wizard of Oz"

[lol]

That "Snape's on a Train" line was funny too.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"Southern Discomfort" -- "The Sound and the Fury"

I thought that was the original title for "Deliverance". [fish]

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, that was "You sure do have pretty lips"

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 98 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:
...At one point, they considered "Gwen Dibley's Flying Circus", because they saw that name in a newspaper, and thought it would be funny if someone had their own show and they didn't know it!

One reason they didn't use it was that the real Gwen Dibley might have been offended.

Some other names that were considered:
  • 1 2 3
  • It's Them!
  • Arthur Megapode's Flying Circus
  • The Horrible Earnest Megapode
  • The Panic Show
  • The Plastic Mac Show
  • Ow! It's Colin Plint!
  • Vaseline Review
  • Vaseline Parade
  • The Keen Show
  • Brian's Flying Circus
  • The Year of the Stoat
  • Cynthia Fellatio's Flying Circus
  • Owl Stretching Time
  • The Whizzo Easishow! (Guaranteed to last 1/2 hour! Money back if not!)

From: From Kim "Howard" Johnson's Life Before and After Monty Python. (source)

BTW I spent the last weekend reading a book called The Pythons' Autobiography by the Pythons. It's highy recommendable and a must for every pythonite.

Personally, "Vaseline Review" and "Vaseline Parade" would've sounded too commercial for the BBC, who, in all likelihood, would have recommended to Monty Python flogging it off to Radio Luxembourg, alongside Horace Batchelor's Infra-Draw Method.

As well, "It's ..." was also considered as a working title; however, the BBC didn't take such an exercise in brevity too kindly.

"Owl-Stretching Time," however, did become the title of one of their first-season episodes.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Izzy Quigley
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy Quigley   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had read that Gwen Dibley was the name of a music teacher Michael Palin had as a child, and that was where they got the name. That may just be a UL, though. And knowing the Pythons, they could have offered multiple explanations to confuse people.

--------------------
A Viennese fellow is walking along the Karntner Strasse and notices a banana peel lying in his path. "Alas," he sighs, "now I must slip and fall down!"

Posts: 506 | From: Missouri | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
quote:

You're both wrong, it was the Joad Elevating Moment, as written by M. Python.
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by atimnie:
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
quote:

You're both wrong, it was the Joad Elevating Moment, as written by M. Python.
Make it the Toad Elevating Moment and I'll believe you.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also the great titles movie makers didn't use. Can you name these Phillip K Dick movies?
Do Robots Dream Of Electric Sheep?

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale.

Second Variety.

--------------------

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is also the great titles movie makers didn't use. Can you name these Phillip K Dick movies?

Second Variety.

It was Androids , not Robots.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Zachary Fizz:
quote:

Second Variety.

It was Androids , not Robots.
Oops sorry so it was, teaches me to be on here when tired.

--------------------

Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heck, lazerus, being tired (or incoherent) never stops me [Big Grin]

I got the first two but not the third. But for someone who's not big on sci-fi, I'm surprisingly fond of Philip K Dick. I can't think what the third one is, though.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages