snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Live album, wrong venue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Live album, wrong venue
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Rolling Stones first live album, 1966's Got Live If You Want It!, stated in its liner notes that the recordings contained therein were recorded at the Royal Albert Hall, but later information indicated the material was mostly derived from performances recorded at Newcastle upon Tyne and Bristol.

Similarly, Creedence Clearwater Revival's 1981 Royal Albert Hall Concert LP was retitled The Concert after it was discovered that the music included within was actually a recording of a show held at the Oakland Coliseum.

Are there any other examples of live albums with misidentifed venue information?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One example I remember:

The 1974 Frank Sinatra album The Main Event - Live was subtitled Live from Madison Square Garden but was actually compiled from the six concerts on his "The Main Event" tour.

article

Still a great album though, judging from the reviews.

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Morrisey's Live at Earls Court is not completely from that venue either.

Also here:
quote:
A famous and widely bootlegged concert by Bob Dylan at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester on May 17, 1966 was mistakenly labeled the "Royal Albert Hall Concert." In 1998 Columbia Records released an official recording, The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert, that maintains the erroneous title, but does include details of the actual concert location.
But that sounds like the fault of the original bootlegger - bootlegs have wrong date and/or venue information all the time. Wow, what is it with misidentifying the Royal Albert Hall so frequently?

So the aforementioned Stones album is the only official album I can think of where nothing was recorded at the venue it states. A lot of liner notes will just say something like "recorded live during the (whatever) tour" and leave it at that.

Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Along the same lines, I had heard that a Duran Duran live album wasn't live at all, but had fake concert cheering overplayed on it. (I can't recall the album name. Arena, I think. It had a non-live version of Wild Boys on it -it was their latest new song - but the rest was live. Or not. I don't know.)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, if we listed live albums that are less than totally "live" this could be a very long thread. A list of famous live albums that are known to be "genuine", with no post-production studio trickery, might actually be shorter.
Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, even for arguably the best live album of all time ("Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous") Is only about 80% "live" with overdubs etc on it.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most 'live'albums have lots of post studio production, otherwise we probably wouldn't buy them as the reviews would kill 'em at birth.

But the question about different venues being accredited is a strange poser. Why would bands or their management indulge in this kind of pretense? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But the question about different venues being accredited is a strange poser. Why would bands or their management indulge in this kind of pretense? Doesn't make any sense to me at all.
It isn't necessarily the product of deliberate deception by the band or their management -- it's not uncommon for tapes to end up mislabeled (or unlabeled), leaving compilers to guess at the source.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that The Band's Live at Watkins Glen was really recorded at some other venue, or even that it wasn't live at all. Having read several accounts of their performance at Watkins Glen, though, I'd say it's either real or a pretty good fake.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The live half of Guns 'N' Roses' "Lies" is fake - it was a studio recording with an audience overdubbed. There's even a bootleg of those songs without the audience. One live Stones album (I think it was "Got Live") had a couple songs that were faked as well.

The biggest travesty, though, might be They Might Be Giants' "Severe Tire Damage". Looking past the fact that three songs aren't even live to begin with, the live songs have been butchered - sections of songs were replaced by studio re-recordings, stupid filters were put on to "enhance" some songs, the beginnings and ends of songs were cropped to the point where it seems as though the audience doesn't even exist...

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
Indeed, even for arguably the best live album of all time ("Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous") Is only about 80% "live" with overdubs etc on it.

Well Hans - from the producer's mouth ALL of the bass and ALL of the vocals were redone in the studio, and about half of the guitars were redone as well. I think "80%" is a little too generous [Wink]

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby:

The biggest travesty, though, might be They Might Be Giants' "Severe Tire Damage". Looking past the fact that three songs aren't even live to begin with, the live songs have been butchered - sections of songs were replaced by studio re-recordings, stupid filters were put on to "enhance" some songs, the beginnings and ends of songs were cropped to the point where it seems as though the audience doesn't even exist...

And don't get me started on the out of key tuba on "She's An Angel"...

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Incidentally, a few of the "Severe Tire Damage" songs are available in unbastardized form on an extremely rare live album from 1994 called "Live In New York City".

I don't know how much they tamper with the full concerts they sell from their site though... I was at one of them (Mr. Smalls) and the downloadable version only seemed to be missing a little bit of chatter - they left all the sound problems and stuff intact.

--------------------

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about mislabeled venues, but many bootlegs often have the wrong dates.

Some artists, like Bob Seger, put "live" in quotation marks on their albums. Like "Live" Bullet. I don't know if this is a misuse of quotation marks or a loophole to admit that certain parts were cleaned up or even rerecorded in the studio.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Max_Renn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Max_Renn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Max_Renn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" album was tweaked immensely in the studio. He freely admits it, though, as the liner notes say something like "Based on an original concert by Peter Gabriel."

Most if not all live albums are worked on extensively in the studio afterwards. The various "Kiss Alive" instalments, "Stop Making Sense" and "The Last Waltz" were all sweetened after the show, and those are only some of the more high-profile ones.

Max "you may ask yourself, can this suit be taken in a little?" Renn

--------------------
Sister Ann: DRIVE! DRIVE
Crow T. Robot: Look, I'm already driving, there's no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase! If you want me to go faster, you should say so.

Posts: 579 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby

OH! I forgot the one that's pissed me off for years - "Iron Butterfly Live." Listen to the beginning of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"... the audience sound is so obviously on a loop, it's painful. You hear the same noises five or six times!

Oh yeah, and furthermore - doesn't it seem like the beginning of the drum solo is when it goes from "fake live" to "real live"? There's suddenly a jump, and the entire mix changes, and suddenly the audience is much more audible...

--------------------

TheLazenby

OK, this intrigues me enough that I'm going to do an in-depth listen. I present - "Why the live version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is really fake." This is just what *I* hear... others might disagree.

First, the organ intro. As I said previously, the audience in the background is definitely looped - this becomes obvious after you hear the same unintelligible conversations about 20 times before the long intro's over. The little bit of extra audience noise when the intro starts is a different mix than the background loop. (Maybe the audience was just *too* silent for the rest of the intro, and they wanted to make them sound more enthusiastic?)

Then the familiar organ intro kicks in... this next short section seems plagued with edits. The organ 'fanfare' (what we know as the start of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida") sounds totally different from the previous organ; there's an edit right before it. Not to mention...
* An edit right at the start of the first riff. The organ suddenly jumps to centerstage, and suddenly sounds totally different.
* An another when the guitar comes on the right - the organ shifts back over to the right.

Then, the organ and guitar solos go without a hitch... but that drum solo did NOT belong to the live performance we've been hearing. It's painfully obvious, when on the first drum beat, there is suddenly a lot more hiss on the tape, and a noisy audience springs out of nowhere. (On a side note, the guy singing to the drum solo off to the left... I wonder if he was actually part of the band, or just some drunk asshole in the audience...) In the middle of the slow part is another obvious edit, where the audience gets louder out of nowhere.

But this raises an interesting point - the drum solo pattern doesn't change at all... but the audience does. Perhaps this drum solo WASN'T live, and the audience was overdubbed???

Oh yeah, and at the end of the solo (when the drumming becomes slow, and the organ comes in), there's another obvious edit, back to the mix we heard for the first few minutes of the song. (The drums suddenly pop back over to the right.)

So all in all, yeah, that live version's not quite "live"... some parts are live, because you can hear an audience in the background every now and then, but in my opinion, the intro and the drum solo are very fake.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages