snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » American Idol rigged?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Idol rigged?
Clarkone68
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've heard how the show was supposedly rigged for years now, but this year there's been a lot more people talking about how it's rigged. "So-and-so is the hand-picked winner," and whatnot, but no real concrete proof. Today, I read about how a person who alledgedly worked on the show quit, and divulged how the show was rigged. The person who posted it said that he/she took it from some website (great source...). Odd, I'd think that other networks would jump all over it because of the show's ratings, and it would be all over the news.... Anyway, is there any truth to any of the conspiracy theories out there? Some are that Bo had more votes than Carrie, but the show didn't want the rocker to win so they made Carrie the winner regardless of the voting, Chris is the hand-picked winner for this year, and such.

I don't think there's any rigging going on outside of possibly someone messing with the phone lines and/or the judges/producers trying to influence voting. I think the show would have too much to lose in rigging it.

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's rigged, but the judges do influence the voting(IMHO) by the reveiws they give them. It probaby also depends on the support each contestant has, how may people are at home voting for them. I know if I was a contestant I would have eveyone I know calling in for me the entire time the voting lines are open.

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rigging is such a harsh word. Influencing is more like it.

They pick who the final 24 are. Also who even gets a tryout.

From VoteForTheWorst.com
"During the initial auditions, the producers of Idol only let certain people through. Many good people are turned away and many bad singers are kept around to see Simon, Paula, and Randy so that America will be entertained." &
"American Idol lets many contestants into the top 24 who have no chance to win. These people are placed in the competition for ratings, and when they start to perform poorly, the viewing audience laughs and generally votes them out."

Obvisously the judges comments may also influence how a performance is perceived.

Also the vote method is poor for this type of completion. Suppose someone was everyone's second choice but no one's first choice. They would be voted out right away. Initially, the vote should be to get rid of someone. In other words, get rid of who you hate.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my opinion,

It's not rigged as much as people are voting fo rwhat in my opinion are the wrong resons. For instance, many of the African American population are probobly voting for Paris becase they would like to see sombody of their own Race win. I'm willing to bet that a majority of the country music listening poplation (inclding myself) voted for Kellie, not neccisarilly because she was a better singer, but because they like her type of music. People also develop attachments to sertan contestants, people that voted for Ace weren't going to all of a sudden vote for Kellie because of just one bad performance. So what it really comes down to is which kind of demographic is voting on any given week.

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aarspace

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aarspace     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't speak for sure that AMERCIAN Idol is rigged, but I worked on CANADIAN Idol and it is definately a fair process (although being allowed to vote more than once is kind of stupid)

--------------------
Bob Dole + The Green Lantern = BEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Posts: 33 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Im guessing Canadian Idol is much like its American Counterpart.

--------------------

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Two Scoops
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Scoops   Author's Homepage   E-mail Two Scoops   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Canadian Idol is pretty much like American Idol just with less entertaining judges.
Posts: 846 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Latiam

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Latiam   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this actually matter?

--------------------
Good morning Starshine! The Earth says hello.

Posts: 119 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course they let poor singers perform,that's what makes the first episodes worth watching IMO.If I want to listen to good singing,I just turn on the radio.

Also the winner of AI,if I remember correctly,gets his own agent and production team to help him become a star.I would think they would prefer to invest their time and money in a really good singer rather than the winner of a popularity contest.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
except that now days music is a popularity contest. The quality of singing certainly has seemed to go down hill.

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mrdie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mrdie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mrdie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I want to listen to good singing,I just turn on the radio.
Sorry, but there is no such thing as good singing on the radio. [Frown]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 18 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrdie:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Josh Groban - 'nuff said.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
you couldn't risk rigging a phone vote as it would be too easy for fraud investigators to check records.

Of course you can make it so that certain lines for voting return a busy signal more often...

Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there are many ways it could be "rigged".

-people can set up many phones to call in thousands of times in a night
-votes can get "lost" through "programming errors"
-contestants could be given inappropriate songs (given their voice and style) for them to choose from, unflattering clothing, poor makeup, and of course poor reviews from the judges, thus swaying the vote

It is very doubtful that American Idol would be able to fudge the numbers once they recieve the votes though, because mobile365 (the company that handles the voting) would probably call them on it. However, it is possible (though highly unlikely) that mobile365 would be able to fudge the votes without American Idol finding out about it.

Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abigsmurf:
you couldn't risk rigging a phone vote as it would be too easy for fraud investigators to check records.

Of course you can make it so that certain lines for voting return a busy signal more often...

Funny how people were going on and o about how many times they called at voted for Ruben per night, but the Clay fans were lucky to get through more than once.

Not to mention which of the two turned out successful.

But I forgot, it's easier to just blame that on racism, etc.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago,G.R.I.T.S.:
quote:
Originally posted by Mrdie:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Josh Groban - 'nuff said.
Hell yes. God, his voice makes me melt.
Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not rigged as such, but there is probably not a level playfield and the production company decides which way it is slanted.

It's easy to make a contestant look better or worse, depending on how you cut footage, what you decide to show from interviews and so on. This can be used to push one contender forward or to hold a contender back. It can also be used as a response to the public reactions, as a way to make the audience get a feeling of "the right candidate won". Just look at who probably will win and make sure that candidate looks good.

This kind of faking was obvious on Expidition Robinson, the Swedish original series that later became Survivor in other countries. There, they also chose the competitions so that they favoured the contenders the production company wanted to win. If they liked a strong, physical candidate, they went for that kind of competitions, if they wanted a smarter candidate, they went for competitions that favoured brains.

Face it, a production like that is a huge thing, with large amounts of money at stake. They can't let the outcome of that be random (or at least not under their control).

You see this kind of thinking all the time. From a friend (who shall, for obvious reasons, remain unnamed) I heard that two years before it was even published and not even completed, a directive went out from the publishers that "The DaVinci Code" should become a bestseller. Then, they bombarded bookstores with PR material and set marketing into high gear. The bookstores follow, as they don't want to miss out on a bestseller.

I'm pretty sure the music and film industry is more or less the same. They can't rely on the fickle nature of the audience, so they provide a limited choice and use marketing to push it. If something fails, it's not assumed that it's because it's crap, it's because they have not marketed it enough.

Scary stuff.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Setzer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Setzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Setzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, that's not including TVs habit of only letting "the beautiful people" in on the shows. Rueben could wear it, but you're never gonna see a fat white guy there.

Same thing with Fear Factor. They'd never let a moderately unpleasant looking person like myself on that show. I'd win all those eat-nasty-NFBSK contests and trash talk better than anyone there yet. They admitted on a VH1 special that they only put on people "That the audience would want to NFBSK". Same here.

Posts: 104 | From: Worden, Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: Sickly Sweet:
quote:

Funny how people were going on and o about how many times they called at voted for Ruben per night, but the Clay fans were lucky to get through more than once.

Not to mention which of the two turned out successful.

But I forgot, it's easier to just blame that on racism, etc.

It makes me wonder how people knew that the Clay lines were open? Did they call both?

It strikes me as being in the same vein as that UL "If you die in your dream, you die for real"...How do they know?

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PASnow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PASnow   E-mail PASnow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah, the Fraud Police are going to go after American Idol.
Posts: 75 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Setzer:
Of course, that's not including TVs habit of only letting "the beautiful people" in on the shows. Rueben could wear it, but you're never gonna see a fat white guy there.

There was a fat ugly white guy who made it pretty far on American Idol (last season, I think?). On top of that he was a mediocre singer and had a criminal record. He made it to the final 5. He didn't have much chance of winning, but it was at the voters discretion. He probably made it further than the producers anticipated.

-

Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Smart Arse
Ceylon Sailor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smart Arse         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, if I were an unscrupulous American Idol contestant, or maybe a rabidly devoted fan, I would pay someone who owns a phone bank to continually make calls to vote for me. Or hire a marketing firm to plug my case. Are there rules and regulations barring the Idols (or their fans) from doing this? I was really suspicious when that untalented chick from Hawaii (I forget her name) kept surviving week after week a couple seasons ago.

--------------------
Smart "Tired of concocting clever middle names" Arse :D

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve" - Bilbo Baggins

Posts: 152 | From: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PASnow:
Yeah, the Fraud Police are going to go after American Idol.

Considering people bet many millions on it? Yes they would, just like if races were fixed people would be investigated by the police.
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SheepOfDoom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheepOfDoom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I don't believe these shows are 'rigged' as such, I definately have to agree with troberg.

The producers of these shows have full control of the editing process and can show each person in any light they choose.

There was a show called "Wife Swap" shown in Aus for a while, where an upperclass housewife would swap familes/houses with a lower class housewife and the show focussed on how they coped with the housework, kids, partner etc.

I think this was a great example of editing to show people in different ways. The upper-class mum was always shown sitting with her feet up etc with cuts to her telling the kids to be more active or do the housework. The lower-class mum was shown to be working hard and only ever being caring to the kids etc.

By strategic cutting and selection of which bits to show it is easy to portray people in any way you choose. This is seen in many reality shows such as Big Brother, Survivor etc.

Another perfect example of this is the Michael Jackson interviews prior to his court case - Martin Bashir trimmed his interviews to portray Jackson in a negative way, and in return Michael Jackson's producers trimmed similar footage to show him in a positive light.

I believe it is in ways such as this that reality TV shows can be manipulated.

Sheep

Posts: 8 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it's rigged cause of the whole Scott Savol thing. I knew him a few years back (I was friends with his sister) and I voted for him just cause I knew him, and I happen to know that every night he was on the show they had a BIG ASS party and everyone would call in and vote for him. He wasn't THAT good but when you have all of Shaker Heights/Cleveland calling in you stay on for a long time.

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steve s
Almond Joy to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve s     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smart Arse:
Now, if I were an unscrupulous American Idol contestant, or maybe a rabidly devoted fan, I would pay someone who owns a phone bank to continually make calls to vote for me.

That won't help. Out of the millions, if not tens of millions of votes they get, a few hundred or thousand more from your friends and family won't even be a blip on the radar.

Steve S.

Posts: 194 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man

Well, as sombody before said Elliot was supposidly the fixed winner this year, I guess not! They just gave him Das Boot.

--------------------

Clarkone68

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarkone68     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The producers of these shows have full control of the editing process and can show each person in any light they choose.
Yep, they did a pretty good job of screwing Elliot over.

quote:
Well, as sombody before said Elliot was supposidly the fixed winner this year
Who was crazy enough to say he was the fixed winner? I've heard starting with the top 12 that it was Paris, then about halfway through it was Chris, and then down the final stretch it was Taylor, with the generic pop princess, Kat, thrown in on the side. Though, I wouldn't say 'fixed', but more 'slanted towards'.

--------------------
"This site also demonstrates one of the great dangers of archeology, not to life and limb, although that does sometimes take place, I'm talking about folklore."

Posts: 40 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages