snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » The final Calvin and Hobbes (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The final Calvin and Hobbes
Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OTL:

(There are, apparently, people who believe that the "Jef Mallett" who does Frazz is actually Bill Watterson, but I'm not one of them. Still, figured it was worth mentioning.)

Have them go here:

Autographing: "Frazz" cartoonist Jef Mallett, for-purchase copies of collections of the daily comic that appears in the Free Press, from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday at Fraser Bicycle and Fitness, 34501 Utica Road in Fraser [Michigan]. It's part of a spring triathlon clinic.

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
I said I would like it if it were a full page color spread (impossible, but wishful thinking is nice!) of all the highlights of the comic over the past years, and the next to last panel would be an adult Calvin sitting at a desk with a ratty stuffed tiger, flipping through a photo album, and then the last one would be Calvin the adult sitting at the table still flipping through the photo album, except now Hobbes is standing next to him saying something like "C'mon Buddy. We're not through yet"

This reminds me of the movie Secondhand Lions (which I highly recommend!), with the comics of Walter and Jasmine. Different, but the idea of adult Calvin brought it to mind.

Nonetheless, thanks for posting the final strip, Marrya. I think it was perfect, like they are starting out on a new adventure, but this time we don't get to watch.

That just made me very sad.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The spoof strip I have definately seen before. It's not a particular epiphany. I believe Calvin is busy with homework and blowing off Hobbes' requests to play. It occurs in the middle of one of my compendiums, not near anything. Apologies if I am repeating something said before. I only have an 800x600 screen and the sidescrolling is making this thread very hard to follow.
Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kamino Neko
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kamino Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never really understood the Frazz/Calvin connection people keep making.

Yes, Frazz is a good strip.

Yes, Frazz bears a slight resemblance to what a grown up Calvin might look like.

Beyond that...I'm just not seeing any real similarities.

--------------------
Blueberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry
Merry Merry-go-round, Funky Funky Playground

Posts: 3645 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what he would look like:

Owen Wilson!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hobbes
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The links to "Buy Frazz Merchandise" and "Frazz: Live at Bryson Elementary - get your copy and meet Jef in person!" are dead giveaways that Jef Mallet is not an alias for Bill Watterson as he would never allow Calvin & Hobbes merchandising of any kind, and the only time he autographed copies of Calvin & Hobbes books was when he would sneak them on to shelves at a small bookstore in his hometown of Chagrin Falls, Ohio...he stopped doing that after he found that locals were buying them and re-selling them on Ebay.

--------------------
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-Calvin

Posts: 96 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Really stale waffles...

(How'd it take me two months to catch this?)

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kamino Neko:

Yes, Frazz bears a slight resemblance to what a grown up Calvin might look like.

I agree. Frazz is warm and funny, and the character designs certainly owe a lot to Watterson, but I can't imagine the author/illustrator who fought the syndicate so hard for visual freedom penning such a visually static strip. To me, "Zits" is the spiritual heir of "Calvin & Hobbes" -- the character of Jeremy is an adolescent Calvin -- by turns brilliant and naive, undoubtedly self-centered but capable of deep empathy and compassion at times, and someone who loves his parents while giving the impression that he merely tolerates them. Instead of using a stuffed tiger for his moral compass, Jeremy has graduated to his immediate circle of friends, who, in spite of their diverse characters, seem to be just grounded enough to provide stability in Jeremy's world. Again, the artists owe a debt to Watterson (artistically and thematically), but I think the strip has matured into its own entity.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OTL
The First USA Noel

Icon 07 posted      Profile for OTL   E-mail OTL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
The links to "Buy Frazz Merchandise" and "Frazz: Live at Bryson Elementary - get your copy and meet Jef in person!" are dead giveaways that Jef Mallet is not an alias for Bill Watterson as he would never allow Calvin & Hobbes merchandising of any kind, and the only time he autographed copies of Calvin & Hobbes books was when he would sneak them on to shelves at a small bookstore in his hometown of Chagrin Falls, Ohio...he stopped doing that after he found that locals were buying them and re-selling them on Ebay.

Ah, but that's precisely why Mallet is really Watterson. See, Watterson decided he did want to make some merchandizing money, but figured there would be a backlash from the devoted Calvin & Hobbes fans if he went back on his word. So, he "retired", and developed Frazz as a product he could merchandize without fan reprisal.

Or something like that. I said I didn't believe it myself, and the rather tinfoil hat nature of that theory is a large reason why.

--------------------
"I've allowed my love of gravy to distract from my prescriptivist linguistic crusade!"
-T-Rex, Dinosaur Comics

Posts: 726 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kamino Neko:

I think it goes like this:

Frazz is a sort of grown-up innocent, a guy who never forgot what it's like to be a child. Calvin is the kind of kid who would never let his childhood totally go away.

Smart, independent, and Calvin-esque kids gravitate to Frazz.

Frazz is creative, a songwriter/musician. A good outlet for Calvin's creativity.

Frazz devotes entire strips to song lyrics, much as Calvin did to poetry.

Frazz makes Calvin-worthy proclomations, such as when his girlfriend tells a young boy, "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb," and Frazz adds, "And in between it moves like a tree sloth with shin splints."

And speaking of Frazz's ladyfriend, she emits a very Susie Derkins sort of vibe.

Frazz is a biking enthusiast, a hobby Calvin could've easily learned from his dad.

etc., etc.

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auburn Red
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auburn Red   E-mail Auburn Red   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know it sounds like an another one of those urban legends to me. I mean do the cartoonists look like? Is Jeff Mallet, African American for example and is Bill Watterston Caucasion, or vice versa? Has Watterston ever even spoke about Mallet, or has Mallett spoke about Watterston? Have they been in the same room or are they like Clark Kent and Superman, never together? [Big Grin]
I see some artistic similarities, but I think it was more of Mallet was inspired by Watterston. Keep in mind Calvin and Hobbes was a very influential comic strip he probably had tons of admirers that were budding cartoonists and one of them might have been Mallet. So Frazz may be intended as a tribute nothing more.

Posts: 62 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hobbes
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In his newsletter, Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame)talks about the comic strip 'Cow and Boy' and says, "Your first reaction will likely be 'Hey, he’s ripping off Calvin and Hobbes! All he did was change the tiger to a cow!' And you would be correct about that. But it’s worth noting that virtually all comics are rip-offs of earlier ones. Dilbert is essentially Charlie Brown with better math grades, all grown up, with Snoopy gone bad. We cartoonists call that sort of thing our 'influences' so it sounds less larcenous.

Calvin and Hobbes was essentially the illegitimate child of Dennis the Menace and Christopher Robin with his stuffed tiger, Tigger. Being 'influenced' is fair game. With Cow and Boy, the question should be how well he executes. In my opinion, he’s terrific. You’ll be seeing a lot of him.

Cow and Boy

I'm not sure if it will be the next 'Calvin & Hobbes', but some of them are pretty funny...you can definitely see the Watterson 'influence.'

--------------------
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-Calvin

Posts: 96 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Watterson himself said Calvin and Hobbes was the spiritual heir to Peanuts, Krazy Kat, and one other early 20th century strip I can't recall offhand. I don't know enough about Krazy Kat to comment, but I can definitely see the influence of Peanuts. Really, Charles Schultz is roughly to comics as The Beatles are to music - sometimes his work looks dull or outdated, but that's only because it's been copied so many times by others. There was a time when that whole motif of children talking and acting like adults (as Calvin did all the time) was unheard of. Now it's everywhere.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
But in a perfect world I do like Ladylockout's idea the best,

God, I missed that, scanning down the page too fast. Ladylockout, that's awesome!! That's definitely the best idea yet for a final strip. Here I am, at my work desk, tears in my eyes over that one.

Heck I never read that much Calvin and Hobbes. But may I just add my "Me Too" to the post of NZUL.

Sitting here at work too....had too swallow a few times before I could talk to the costumer again.

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Van Couver:
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
But in a perfect world I do like Ladylockout's idea the best,

God, I missed that, scanning down the page too fast. Ladylockout, that's awesome!! That's definitely the best idea yet for a final strip. Here I am, at my work desk, tears in my eyes over that one.

Heck I never read that much Calvin and Hobbes. But may I just add my "Me Too" to the post of NZUL.

Sitting here at work too....had too swallow a few times before I could talk to the costumer again.

Awww. Thanks guys. [Embarrassed]

I wish it could happen too.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just tossing my hat in as one who had a bit of a sniffle with Ladylockout's idea.
I actually really loved the last Calvin and Hobbes, because for me, it showed that the strip was done with, but it wasn't "over." If that makes sense.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WittySquirrel
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WittySquirrel   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading this thread I feel sorta lucky to have the local papers here carry Calvin and Hobbes even though by the looks of it they might've been drawn around the nearer towards Watterson's beginning of his comic strip career. The papers have been running C&H ever since I can remember reading it actually. Old strips, but still gold nontheless.

OP comment is sad indeed, as sad as it sounds it's also seemingly fitting for the end of a strip like this. I wouldn't disagree.

--------------------
My blog. (WARNING: May contain nuts)

Posts: 158 | From: Penang, Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Cow and Boy

I'm not sure if it will be the next 'Calvin & Hobbes', but some of them are pretty funny...you can definitely see the Watterson 'influence.'

Thanks for the link. It was good. I haven't read a strip that made me laugh like that in a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune26:
Just tossing my hat in as one who had a bit of a sniffle with Ladylockout's idea.
I actually really loved the last Calvin and Hobbes, because for me, it showed that the strip was done with, but it wasn't "over." If that makes sense.

Yeah, it does. Like that book you just finished, and you put it down wondering what happened next. Sign of a good story, IMO.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironically, I was chatting with someone about Calvin and Hobbes this afternoon.
She pretty much described she would like something like Ladylockeout described, but with a picture of an older Calvin and his kid, who is holding a much loved Hobbes.
That would really rawk.

Now, If y'all will excuse me, the thread has prompted me to hunt down my Oogie owl.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave. Dry. Crisp. Witty.:
I don't know enough about Krazy Kat to comment, [snip]

Interesting...I wouldn't have thought of Krazy Kat, but now that you mention it, I can sort of see where Watterson was coming from. The premise of KK is simple: a mouse, Ignatz, hates Krazy Kat and keeps throwing bricks at her/him (Krazy's gender is unspecified, but in my mind is female). Krazy, remembering the days of ancient Egypt when cats were sacred and lovers would write their messages on bricks to them, sees the tossed bricks as signs of love. The plot is complicated by a policeman dog, Offissa Pupp, who loves Krazy and tries to thwart Ignatz.

None of this sounds much like Calvin and Hobbes apart from the animals who not only talk but philosophize. (And I realize those weren't original with Krazy Kat, either.) And yet the landscapes frequently become surreal--very few settings are recognizable from one strip to the next, except for the jail where Ignatz frequently ends up. If you compare them to some of Calvin's fantasy sequences, you'll probably see some resemblances.

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info...I know there's at least one book of Krazy Kat strips out there, but I've never gotten around to buying it. I seem to recall Watterson's admiration for it stemmed at least in part from the surreal nature of the landscapes. Also, there's a Sunday C&H strip set in a museum, in which Calvin's parents are seen admiring a painting...the painting is a Krazy Kat cel! [Wink]

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages