snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » Don Knotts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don Knotts
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard in the past that the recently-deceased Don Knotts
and Andy Griffith were cousins (hence their working together on "The Andy
Griffith Show"). Is there any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spindely Fingers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Spindely Fingers   E-mail Spindely Fingers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a reference to Barney being Andy's cousin in the first season (maybe the first episode?) In fact, I think the joke was that the only way Barney became a deputy was because he was Andy's cousin. Sounds like this could be the root of the rumor.

--------------------
Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.
So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. ...
What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.
And all music is. -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 55 | From: Salisbury, NC/Bridgewater, VA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dobers
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dobers   E-mail Dobers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just checked the IMDB and Wikipedia pages on both actors, and neither site mentions the rumor.
Posts: 86 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm almost sure there is some reference to their characters being cousins on The Andy Griffith Show as well. But only in the pilot episode and maybe the first year (maybe) IIRC. I'm fairly sure I remember Barney talking about Aunt Bea as if she were his real aunt. If my memory is accurate they must have dropped that idea though for whatever reason'or at least it doesn't get referenced much.

As to being relatives, I remember a Biog I saw about Andy Griffith and they talked about how he and Don Knotts met when they were both on broadway in "No Time for Sergeants". I'm pretty sure it was Griffith who was instrumental in getting him onto his tv show a few years later, and of course it's well known that they stayed close afterwards. I can remember Knotts guesting a time or two on Matlock for instance.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the show, they were cousins. In real life, they weren't related.

Fox News Radio, however, called the role "BARRY Fife" for the first HOUR after it was announced.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My father went to college with Knotts; as a matter of fact, my father got to go to graduate school because Knotts decided to pursue a professional acting career (he had been offered a fellowship for his MA--he turned it down and my father got it.)

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages