snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Entertainment » "P!nk"'s name (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "P!nk"'s name
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 09 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprized that I couldn't find anything on the main site or the message board about this. I think I searched pretty well, but feel free to chow me.

Over the years, I've heard a couple of "explanations" of singer P!nk's stagename. Among them are:

~It's her favorite color
~It's a reference to her naughtybits
~Similar to above, another story is that, growing up, she had a lot of black male friends, and they mentioned that they had never seen a white girl's vagina, so she flashed them, and they nicknamed her "Pink" and the name stuck
~When she was growing up, one of her friends pantsed her and her face turned bright pink (or, in another version, she had on really ugly pink underwear) and the nickname "Pink" stuck
~It was taken from Mr. Pink in "Reservoir Dogs"
~It was a nickname given to her because of her rosy complection
~She was a tomboy, and she was mockingly called "Pink"

There are a couple that people have sworn up and down that she's said any one of these things in an interveiw (and even people who swear that they heard one, and then she changed the story)

Has anyone else ever heard any of this?

Edited to fix typos

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read in an interview that it was a childhood nickname that stuck, but that was all the detail it gave (or all I remember). I guess that probably doesn't help you much.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But is her real surname Floyd? Yes, I know... [fish]
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Funkmistress
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Funkmistress   E-mail Funkmistress   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does she really spell it P!nk? Who the hell does she think she is, Prince?

Anyway, there was a Rolling Stone article about her back in the day, and confirms the episode of showing her business to a black boy (who was apparently, like, 12 - classy). She's also apparently a big Steve Buscemi fan, stemming from his role as Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs. So there are probably multiple reasons for the name.

Posts: 223 | From: Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steelfox
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelfox   E-mail steelfox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it was because she was wearing pink underwear one day and her skirt blew up or whatever and she got nicknamed Pink after that.
Posts: 18 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Both this site and this site claim that she got her name due to turning pink when she gets embarassed.

From the faze article:

quote:
Despite what seems obvious, Pink did not get her name from her hair colour: she actually dyed her hair to match her name. As a young girl she was easily embarrassed which caused her to turn bright pink. Later, the nickname became permanent after the release of Reservoir Dogs and the colourful character of 'Mr.Pink'.
Not that these 2 sites prove anything for definite; just some research to consider.

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how she got the P!nk name, not sure if she used that way since the first album which was a "manufactured" her. I know her real name is Alecia (a-lee-sha) which makes it easy to mispronounce my name Lecia (lee sea uh). [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: The Masquerade:
~Similar to above, another story is that, growing up, she had a lot of black male friends, and they mentioned that they had never seen a white girl's vagina, so she flashed them, and they nicknamed her "Pink" and the name stuck

That's the one I read in Maxim or FHM or one of those. The friend supposedly said, "Ah, it's pink!" and the name stuck.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember her being interviewed on "Rove Live", she claimed the nickname came from an incident in her childhood and recited the story of being pantsed and turning pink with embarrassment.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok...gotta ask, isn't a black girl's "naughty-bits" pink (on the inside) as well? All of them that I have seen (pictures of) have been.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall seeing an interview with her where she related the black friend that had never seen a white girl's woo-hoo... and exclaimed, "It's PINK!"

But I don't recall where I saw the interview... (other than on TV!!)

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
I don't know how she got the P!nk name, not sure if she used that way since the first album which was a "manufactured" her. I know her real name is Alecia (a-lee-sha) which makes it easy to mispronounce my name Lecia (lee sea uh). [Roll Eyes]

One might also say that the pronunciation of your name makes it easier to mispronounce hers. [Wink]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffin in the wind:
Ok...gotta ask, isn't a black girl's "naughty-bits" pink (on the inside) as well? All of them that I have seen (pictures of) have been.

Everyone's different. Some are pink, red, nearly skin-toned, purple, grayish. There's no set color.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gothixgirl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothixgirl   E-mail gothixgirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i have a couple old teen type magazines from around the time her first album was released (1999-ish) and there was heavy promotion to a teen audience, in teen people there is the "my face turns pink when i get embarassed story", but then recently before i left for work there was a vh1 show that was interviewing friends and family, a friend told the "mr.pink" version, saying she was crazy just like the film character.
Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting. I think anyone who would say that the Mr. Pink character is "crazy" probably hadn't seen the film. Mr. Blonde is definitely insane, but Mr. Pink is a relatively rational survivalist. Annoying and an ass, perhaps, but not crazy.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
Interesting. I think anyone who would say that the Mr. Pink character is "crazy" probably hadn't seen the film. Mr. Blonde is definitely insane, but Mr. Pink is a relatively rational survivalist. Annoying and an ass, perhaps, but not crazy.

Annoying? Mr. Pink MADE that film [Smile]

--------------------

ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: The Masquerade:
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:

Annoying? Mr. Pink MADE that film [Smile]
I can't say I disagree, but he does kind of annoy me nonetheless. Maybe it's the whole no tipping thing.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The no tipping thing bugged me too, but I love Steve Buscemi too much to hold it against Mr. Pink [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be that she chose the name 'Pink' because of all the things mentioned? Who says there was only one reason for it?

As someone who has had their name legally changed, I know I had more than one reason for picking the name I did.

Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 600 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And anyone who thinks the whole "because my hoohah is pink" story is true...just sounds like "Sex sells records, sex stories are rock!" attitude more than the truth, like a guy musician claiming they've done it with a hundred women in one night. In other words, just typical b.s. to sell in image that they're "Rock, with a capital R!" instead of "generic rock chick with a generic manuafactered bad girl image that no one believes" image.

Of course, I don't know anything about Pink except she has a five second spot in a Charlie's Angels movie, so what what do I know? Is she the one with that "I'm coming up (out?) so you better get this party started" song?

Edited for terrible grammar in the first paragraph.

Trish "I'm so old and out of touch with the young music" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, that's her. Gee Trish, was watching Charlie's Angels related in any way to your avatar? [Big Grin] I ask because he's the only reason I watched it.

P.S. I like your new sigline! Awesome book.

--------------------

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So if she spells it "P!nk" are you supposed to pronounce it with an "i" as in "Pink" or with a click as in the !Kung language?

Nick

ETA: <nobr> tag aroung "!Kung"

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So what is she singing? "coming up" or "coming out"? Damn, the first time I heard that, it was stuck in my head for ages. Right up there with friggin' Britney Spears' Toxic video. Dang earworms!!!

[Hijack to Candy]

You're new. You do not full comprehend my mentalness for the Crisper. Which only further extends to the sigline. That's all I'll say in public, as they've heard it for almost two years now from me. [lol]

[/Hijack to Candy]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

I'll never get tired of hearing about him if you wanna PM me [Big Grin]

--------------------

Carol of the Dells

Icon 106 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
So what is she singing? "coming up" or "coming out"? Damn, the first time I heard that, it was stuck in my head for ages. Right up there with friggin' Britney Spears' Toxic video. Dang earworms!!!

*singing*"With a taste of your lips
Iím on a ride
Youíre toxic
Iím slipping under
With a taste of poison paradise
Iím addicted to you
Donít you know that youíre toxic
And I love what you do
Donít you know that youíre toxic"

--------------------

Spikey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spikey   E-mail Spikey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
So what is she singing? "coming up" or "coming out"?

"Coming up"

--------------------
"The fact that "uvula" and "vulva" look and sound similar was just a happy coincidence." - Lainie

Posts: 548 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nocturnal Goddess, I am going to have to hurt you. Very much! [fish]

And Spikey, thanks for settling that for me.

We know resume to "P!nk's name", already in progress....

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Funkmistress:
Does she really spell it P!nk? Who the hell does she think she is, Prince?

Am I the only one who read it as a mathamatical formula, as in "P factoral times n times k"? God, I'm such a nerd.

Secondly, is anyone else annoyed by the song "Coming Up" or whatever it's called? Specifically by the line "You'd better get this party started." I just don't like songs that tell me what to do. It makes me want to say "Who are to tell me to get this party started? It's my party and I'll get it started when I want to!"

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
Am I the only one who read it as a mathamatical formula, as in "P factoral times n times k"?

yes
quote:
God, I'm such a nerd.
yes

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I realllly am confused about is the fact that she just married Corey(ETA: ooops, CAREY! Hah! Corey was the 'Sungalsses at Night' guy...now that'd be a cool UL!) Hart. I knew they were dating/engaged/living together, but I thought they broke it off.

Actually, I thought she had, uh...switched teams, so to speak. Next, I hear they're married.

Sorry for the Hijack, but I'm not so sure that this question rates its own thread [Smile]

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
It's my party and I'll get it started when I want to!"

Close, but I think that's "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to."

Yeah, I'm a smartass. [Big Grin]

ETA: because "I'm" and "I'll" are not the same word.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose this could be an example of Pi(!)nk getting tired of people asking her where the name came from, so she just mixes up her answers to keep things interesting for her.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Republican
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Republican   E-mail Republican   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard from my cousin Jasmine that she was born with pink hair, and that's the reason why she is called pink.

--------------------
I'm a rumour weed.

Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Well that sounds logical.

--------------------

Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Republican:
I heard from my cousin Jasmine that she was born with pink hair, and that's the reason why she is called pink.

Is that why your cousin is named "Jasmine"?

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages